Pretty quiet out there

  • karlrifenbark
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
      Anybody riding? Too much rain here in southern AZ for trail riding. Too
      hot in the rest of the country to ride.

      Even though we really need the rain here, I'm gettting tired of road
      riding to pass the time. I've got plans for at least a small part of
      the Arizona Trail in the near future, provided it hasn't washed away!

      Anyone else have plans for upcoming rides?

      Karl in Tucson
    • Yuri Bahti
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
        if you don't mind sharing, what is yout azt plan?
        take pics.
        i'm getting some minor surgery soon and must live vicariously for a bit.

        cheers,
        yuri

        >From: "karlrifenbark" <karlrifenbark@...>
        >To: ultralightbiking@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [ultralightbiking] Pretty quiet out there
        >Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 02:35:24 -0000
        >
        >Anybody riding? Too much rain here in southern AZ for trail riding. Too
        >hot in the rest of the country to ride.
        >
        >Even though we really need the rain here, I'm gettting tired of road
        >riding to pass the time. I've got plans for at least a small part of
        >the Arizona Trail in the near future, provided it hasn't washed away!
        >
        >Anyone else have plans for upcoming rides?
        >
        >Karl in Tucson

      • Richard Levenberg
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
          I just got back from an 11 day tour in the Sierra's and I put some pic's
          in the pictures section. I went over Sonora, Ebbett's, Monitor, Conway
          twice and up the two paved roads in California that go up to 10K feet.
          Full write up coming soon.

          Yuri Bahti wrote:
          > if you don't mind sharing, what is yout azt plan?
          > take pics.
          > i'm getting some minor surgery soon and must live vicariously for a bit.
          >
          > cheers,
          > yuri

        • Steve Pells
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2006
            I'm off to Geneva for 11 days in the Alps tomorrow.

            I'm down to 11.8 kg, which might not sound ultralight, but I think it is:
            this is *everything* I'll have, from my wristwatch and shoes to sleeping bag
            and shelter, and includes handlebar bag and saddlebag, and mountings for
            them. I saved a bit of weight on the bike by being able to take the rack
            off.

            I'm trying a Hennessy Hammock for the first time. I'll let you know how it
            goes.

            s.

            Steve Pells,
            Edinburgh, UK

          • karlrifenbark
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2006
              I knew you folks were out there!

              Yuri Bahti wrote:

              > if you don't mind sharing, what is yout azt plan?

              Well, I'd like to knock off a few of the southern sections this fall.
              Sounds like the recent rains may have taken out some of the trail near
              Montezuma Pass (if I read between the lines of the newscast correctly!)
              I've already done a couple of sections closer to Tucson (Reddington
              Pass, Oracle Ridge & Oracle State Park, and part of the section from
              Hwy. 77 towards Freeman road) as day rides.

              I'd like to park in Patagonia, ride the dirt roads to Canelo Pass, then
              take the trail back into Patagonia. I'll take my time, and do it on the
              singlespeed as an overnighter.

              > take pics.

              You bet!

              Here's a short write-up of a overnighter a friend and I did in that
              area last spring.

              <http://damnhippiebiker.googlepages.com/s24o422-2306>

              Last fall in the Chiricahuas:

              <http://damnhippiebiker.googlepages.com/chiricahuhas24o>

              Not exactly ultralight, but bikepacking, nonetheless!

              > i'm getting some minor surgery soon and must live vicariously for a
              >bit.

              Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

              Peace,

              Karl in Tucson
            • Yuri Bahti
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
                nice rides. the canelo section brings back memories.
                if my shoulder heals in time a friend and i are going to ride from Phx to
                Flag at the end of Sept
                for the fat tire festival and to see the ditty bops
                http://www.thedittybops.com/
                i just got my map from the adventure cycling assoc.
                should be fun.

                >From: "karlrifenbark" <karlrifenbark@...>
                >To: ultralightbiking@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [ultralightbiking] Re: Pretty quiet out there
                >Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 19:11:03 -0000
                >
                >I knew you folks were out there!
                >
                >Yuri Bahti wrote:
                > >
                > > if you don't mind sharing, what is yout azt plan?
                >
                >Well, I'd like to knock off a few of the southern sections this fall.
                >Sounds like the recent rains may have taken out some of the trail near
                >Montezuma Pass (if I read between the lines of the newscast correctly!)
                >I've already done a couple of sections closer to Tucson (Reddington
                >Pass, Oracle Ridge & Oracle State Park, and part of the section from
                >Hwy. 77 towards Freeman road) as day rides.
                >
                >I'd like to park in Patagonia, ride the dirt roads to Canelo Pass, then
                >take the trail back into Patagonia. I'll take my time, and do it on the
                >singlespeed as an overnighter.
                >
                > > take pics.
                >
                >You bet!
                >
                >Here's a short write-up of a overnighter a friend and I did in that
                >area last spring.
                >
                ><http://damnhippiebiker.googlepages.com/s24o422-2306>
                >
                >Last fall in the Chiricahuas:
                >
                ><http://damnhippiebiker.googlepages.com/chiricahuhas24o>
                >
                >Not exactly ultralight, but bikepacking, nonetheless!
                >
                > > i'm getting some minor surgery soon and must live vicariously for a
                > >bit.
                >
                >Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
                >
                >Peace,
                >
                >Karl in Tucson

              • Gary Blakley
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 8, 2006

                  On Aug 3, 2006, at 8:35 PM, karlrifenbark wrote:
                  >Anybody riding? Too much rain here in southern AZ for trail riding. Too hot in the rest of the country to ride.<

                  Boy, are we ever getting rain here in CO!  This is the wettest summer we've had in years.  Odd, considering we had forest fires all around 6-8 weeks ago.

                  My summer has been TOO busy, both playing and working.  Patti and I did a week long tour up the Canadian coast starting in Bellingham, WA and then down Vancouver Island.  I just haven't had time to do a write up on it.  Great trip though.  This weekend we're planning an overnight dirt road tour in northern NM on the cross bikes.

                  Scot Morris stopped by the other day, he is doing the CO Trail from end to end with Mike Curiak right now.  I'm sure he will give us a wonderful report of that ride.  I hope they have good rain gear!

                  Gary