Re: [ultralightbiking] Few comments

  • Gary Blakley
    Message 1 of 57 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hi Igor,

      Thanks for thr input.  Nice site and info too.  I haven't yet had time to explore it a whole lot.  I'm curious where are you from?

      I've picked up all my tiny containers at REI.  I've heard if you go to a druggist you can also get small containers.  For little plastic bags go to a "head shop" ( a place that sells pot smoking stuff).  I don't know if any of these are  options where you live.

      Gary Blakley
      On Feb 28, 2006, at 1:09 AM, musilijk wrote:

      I see you're mostly from the US here, so in what follows use
      conversion factors:  1 lb = 453.6 g,  1 oz = 28.35 g, 1 g = 0.03527 oz

      The sleeping pad:
      My latest option was a strip of bubble-wrap instead of a foam pad. It
      was similar in dimension to a foam pad, slightly lighter, but the
      important thing is that I could wrap it around my other stuff and put
      the bundle it the stuff-sack (which was 160 grams) making the whole
      thing waterproof. It may seem very spartan to sleep on a bubble-wrap,
      but it worked very like the foam pad, maybe with a bit less thermal
      insulation from the ground.

      The weight of things:
      I have a list of things with weights and photos of the setups from my
      3 latest trips on

      http://www2.arnes.si/~ikovse/weight.htm

      That includes everything (e.g. don't forget to weigh the shoes,
      glasses on your nose, helmet, ...). The rear rack is included in the
      weight of the bike (together with bottle cages, computer and
      handlebarbag mounts). The racks alone were between 550 and 650 grams.
      I don't think I could go below 7000 g (=15.4 lbr) - unless maybe on a
      summer tour - so that makes me only light and not ultralight, but I'm
      confortable with the current setup. I don't carry cooking stuff.

      The backpack:
      I used to pack my stuff in a backpack on the rear rack and that
      worked great, but in comparison to the stuff sack I find it quite
      heavy now. The important thing about the backpack is that it has to
      be stiff - mine had internal alu frame. See for ex.

      http://www2.arnes.si/~ikovse/kyr/b.jpg

      And a question:
      I'd like to have a container smaller than the camera film box (for
      oil, bolts, skin cream, tooth paste, ...). Any suggestions?

      Cheers,
      Igor

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Mann, Dave
      Message 57 of 57 , Mar 14, 2006
        > On Mar 7, 2006, at 12:46 AM, musilijk wrote:
        >> I have Shimano STI and had some problems with front shifting, maybe
        >> caused by the big handlebarbag bending the cables - it's another
        >> motive to go with a smaller bag. But after a crash I have now
        >> general problem with front STI shifter. I was thinking of replacing
        >> it with downtube friction shifter. Does somone have experience with
        >> this? I heard Lance Armstrong had this setup regulary for the
        >> mountaing stages (Alpe d'Huez etc.). The rear shifter works well
        >> even with a big hadlebar bag.

        I used DT shifters on my coast/coast ride in the 80s.
        With 6spd rear end and half-step/granny triple, double
        shifts were a constant necessity and DT shifters allow
        for one handed double shifts.

        Today's 8-10 cogs make half-step gearing less needed.
        I'm much happier with alpine gearing now and with it,
        with mostly shifting the rear to adjust gears.

        I've moved to barcon shifters after my STIs died
        and doubt I will ever go back to either STI or DT
        shifters again.

        Two notes... trying DT shifters is often eye opening
        to some. Turns out they are easier to reach than you
        imagine. Those of us with grey hair might know this already.

        Lastly, with either barcons or DT shifters, you won't
        be able to shift while out of the saddle (or at least
        not easily). If you like to shift while standing or
        you need to be on the hoods while shifting, an STI brifter
        for the rear make sense.

        -Dave