Re: [ultralightbiking] Re: Bike lock cables

  • Jim Foreman
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 10, 2007
              Just a note about the two types of cables; hard laid and soft laid. The hard laid cables are known as 7 x 1 which means that one cable is made up from seven strands (six wrapped around one) These cables are rather stiff and can be cut with bolt cutters.
          Soft laid is called 7x7x1 which means there are seven small wires (six around one) to make up each of seven separate cables (six wound around one) to make a single cable. They are easier to bend and if one tries to cut them with a bolt-type cutter, they just squish out flat and are much harder to cut. The curley cables normally used as locks for bicycles have another layer of 19  7x1 cables wound in the opposite direction around the inner cable. Cables like this are all but impossible to cut without special shear type cutters (not something that the average person would have because of cost and weight. However, cordless grinders can whip through any of them in seconds.

    • j.a. tackett
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 10, 2007
        thanks for this info.....i wonder if the curly Trek locks are the later ones you mentioned?

        Jim Foreman <jimfore@...> wrote:
[...]

        The fish are biting.

      • Jim Foreman
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2007
              That's the only way that a cable can be made that is curly. You can buy really cheap ones for things like locking outboard motors and the like. The cost has come down on them considerably.

          Jim

          Jim Foreman <jimfore@...> wrote:
[...]

        • LF
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 11, 2007
            <snip> The curley cables normally used as locks for
            > bicycles have another layer of 19 7x1 cables wound
            > in the opposite direction around the inner cable.
            > Cables like this are all but impossible to cut
            > without special shear type cutters (not something
            > that the average person would have because of cost
            > and weight. However, cordless grinders can whip
            > through any of them in seconds.

            Thanks Jim. And what do you think would happen with a
            cordless grinder vs. a Kryptonite U-lock or hardended
            steel chain with heavy duty padlock?

            Best,
            Larry

            http://new.mail.yahoo.com
          • Jim Foreman
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 11, 2007
              From: "LF" <fieman@...>
              Subject: Re: [ultralightbiking] Re: Bike lock cables

              > <snip> The curley cables normally used as locks for
              >> bicycles have another layer of 19 7x1 cables wound
              >> in the opposite direction around the inner cable.
              >> Cables like this are all but impossible to cut
              >> without special shear type cutters (not something
              >> that the average person would have because of cost
              >> and weight. However, cordless grinders can whip
              >> through any of them in seconds.
              >>
              > Thanks Jim. And what do you think would happen with a
              > cordless grinder vs. a Kryptonite U-lock or hardended
              > steel chain with heavy duty padlock?
              >
              > Best,
              > Larry

              Unfortunately, when it comes to grinding wheels, about the only
              difference between soft malleable iron and hardened steel is the color
              sparks it makes. I saw a portable grinder at Harbor Freight the other day
              for $19.95 which lowers the cost of being a bike thief considerably.

              Jim
            • LF
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 11, 2007
                --- Jim Foreman <jimfore@...> wrote:

                <snip>
                > Unfortunately, when it comes to grinding wheels,
                > about the only
                > difference between soft malleable iron and hardened
                > steel is the color
                > sparks it makes. I saw a portable grinder at Harbor
                > Freight the other day
                > for $19.95 which lowers the cost of being a bike
                > thief considerably.
                >
                > Jim
                > So, I'm probably just a good off with a decent cable
                lock and a dash of precaution, as I am with anything
                else.
                Thanks again,
                Larry "locks are for honest people" Fieman

                Never miss an email again!
              • Jim Foreman
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 11, 2007
                  >> So, I'm probably just a good off with a decent cable
                  > lock and a dash of precaution, as I am with anything
                  > else.
                  > Thanks again,
                  > Larry "locks are for honest people" Fieman

                  That's about the best we can hope for any more. I'm sure that a simple
                  cable lock saved my bike one time.

                  http://www.jimforeman.com/Stories/roots.htm

                  Jim