Jetboil technology in a pepsi can stove?

  • gordonprice67
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
      It seems to me that there is probably a limit to how much heat can be
      generated with a pepsi can stove, and the next advance is in making
      better use of the heat that is generated. And the folded heat
      exchanger on the jetboil system seems like a good place to start. My
      thought is to make a windscreen with a similar folded heat
      exchanger/flame shaper/support with a minimal connection to the
      windscreen, so most of the heat goes directly into the bottom of the
      pot. That said, has anyone heard of someone doing this already? Any
      information would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Gordon
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
        somebody's already done it. Or close to it:

        http://traildesigns.com/products01.html

        --- In ultralightbackpacking@yahoogroups.com, "gordonprice67"
        <gordonprice67@...> wrote:

        > It seems to me that there is probably a limit to how much heat can be
        > generated with a pepsi can stove, and the next advance is in making
        > better use of the heat that is generated. And the folded heat
        > exchanger on the jetboil system seems like a good place to start. My
        > thought is to make a windscreen with a similar folded heat
        > exchanger/flame shaper/support with a minimal connection to the
        > windscreen, so most of the heat goes directly into the bottom of the
        > pot. That said, has anyone heard of someone doing this already? Any
        > information would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Gordon

      • Jerry Goller
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 4, 2007
          Not really. While the Caldera Cone works very well for the pots it fits, it
          doesn't involve a heat exchanger. The heat exchanger does increase
          efficiency quite a bit.

          Jerry

          reviews and tests on the planet.

          <gordonprice67@...> wrote:

          > It seems to me that there is probably a limit to how much heat can be
          > generated with a pepsi can stove, and the next advance is in making
          > better use of the heat that is generated. And the folded heat
          > exchanger on the jetboil system seems like a good place to start. My
          > thought is to make a windscreen with a similar folded heat
          > exchanger/flame shaper/support with a minimal connection to the
          > windscreen, so most of the heat goes directly into the bottom of the
          > pot. That said, has anyone heard of someone doing this already? Any
          > information would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Gordon

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Edward Ripley-Duggan
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 4, 2007
            And it's been reviewed by BGT here:

            http://tinyurl.com/yuhr2t

            At 10:53 PM 7/3/2007, you wrote:

            >somebody's already done it. Or close to it:
            >
            ><http://traildesigns.com/products01.html>http://traildesigns.com/products01.html
          • Tim D. Williamson
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 4, 2007
              I've seen some heat exchangers made out of metal grids. I've also seen similar grids in overhead fluorescent lighting. I think that's where I'd start.

              Tim D. Williamson -- timdwilliamson |at| yahoo |dot| com
              Artist, Gardener, Astronomer, Handyman, Chef,
              Wandering Guru, Soothsayer, & Purveyor of Obscure Trivia

              <gordonprice67@...> wrote:

              > It seems to me that there is probably a limit to how much heat can be
              > generated with a pepsi can stove, and the next advance is in making
              > better use of the heat that is generated. And the folded heat
              > exchanger on the jetboil system seems like a good place to start. My
              > thought is to make a windscreen with a similar folded heat
              > exchanger/flame shaper/support with a minimal connection to the
              > windscreen, so most of the heat goes directly into the bottom of the
              > pot. That said, has anyone heard of someone doing this already? Any
              > information would be greatly appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Gordon

              http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
            • Greg
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 4, 2007
                Okay, so where are you going to put a heat exchanger on a Caldera
                setup? Seems that that is already built in--it's got space between
                the sides of the pot and the sides of the top of the cone, which is
                where a heat exchanger would go. Wouldn't that space qualify as an
                exchanger? or would you add a heat exchanger to the outside of the
                cone? Or put one on top of the lid of the pot??

                Greg

                --- In ultralightbackpacking@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller"
                <jerrygoller@...> wrote:

                > Not really. While the Caldera Cone works very well for the pots it
                fits, it
                > doesn't involve a heat exchanger. The heat exchanger does increase
                > efficiency quite a bit.
                >
                > Jerry
                >

                > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the most comprehensive interactive
                gear
                > reviews and tests on the planet.

              • Tim D. Williamson
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 4, 2007
                  Well, technically the pot itself is a heat exchanger, if you're going by the engineering definition: a device that transfers heat between two fluids.

                  I think that air space around the pot in the Caldera is capturing heat, but something else would be needed to transfer that heat to the pot to count as a heat exchanger.

                  Tim D. Williamson -- timdwilliamson |at| yahoo |dot| com
                  Artist, Gardener, Astronomer, Handyman, Chef,
                  Wandering Guru, Soothsayer, & Purveyor of Obscure Trivia

                  Okay, so where are you going to put a heat exchanger on a Caldera
                  setup? Seems that that is already built in--it's got space between
                  the sides of the pot and the sides of the top of the cone, which is
                  where a heat exchanger would go. Wouldn't that space qualify as an
                  exchanger? or would you add a heat exchanger to the outside of the
                  cone? Or put one on top of the lid of the pot??

                  Greg

                  Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
                  http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
                • Jerry Goller
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 4, 2007
                    No, I'd put it on the bottom of the pot, like it belongs..... ;o) A heat
                    exchanger usually involves fins of some type to act as radiators from the
                    hotter side radiating into the cooler side. The water tubes in the radiator
                    in your car are stamped out in such a way that they have a wing on each side
                    to increase the radiating area.

                    Although you can certainly put heat exchanger fins on the side, like MSR did
                    with their old set up, The easiest place to put it is on the bottom of the
                    pot like Jetboil did. The heat exchanger has to be part of (wielded or
                    clamped tightly to) the pot to work efficiently.

                    <jerrygoller@...> wrote:

                    > Not really. While the Caldera Cone works very well for the pots it
                    fits, it
                    > doesn't involve a heat exchanger. The heat exchanger does increase
                    > efficiency quite a bit.
                    >
                    > Jerry
                    >

                    > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the most comprehensive interactive
                    gear
                    > reviews and tests on the planet.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Jerry Goller
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 4, 2007
                      Yup, usually some kind of fin arrangement that increase the absorption
                      surface are of the cooler side or the radiating surface area of the hotter
                      side (if you are using it to cool something).