Re: lighten my pack

  • shoshgrp
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 22, 2006
      It sounds like you are taking much more than the necessary otherwise
      your gear is heavy.
      I weigh about 120lbs too. My backpack for 10 days weighs 18 Lb including:
      Backpack, UrSack (+aluminum liner), sleeping bag 15 degrees
      (1Lb+14Oz), simple Matt, 2-person tent (2Lb), rain gear, warm clothes,
      water filter (a cup), first aid, map, sandals and food for 10 days.
      Not included water (Usually I carry 1 litter).

      Note that the food I carry is simple and light and I do not cook –
      Cream cheese, humus powder, tuna bag, Wasa bread, Sesame crackers
      granola bars (1 for a day). I do not eat a lot too – my food for 10
      days fills half UrSack.

      --- In ultralightbackpacking@yahoogroups.com, "happeldappel"
      <happeldappel@...> wrote:

      > I'm hiking on the John Muir Trail for two weeks for 100 miles. My
      > pack currently weighs 40lbs and I weigh 120lbs. This is my first long
      > trip and I believe I'm only taking what's necessary. It's the extreme
      > weather condition changes that prevent me reducing weight in the
      > clothing category; although, any suggestions would be greatly
      > appreciated. I went with the propack mountain house meals for dinner,
      > we're doing granola and oatmeal for breakfast, peanut butter (in
      > tubes) on pita for lunch with a variety of cheese and salami, with
      > GORP and power bars for snacks. We've got a food drop for the second
      > week on reserve. I have the ultralight 3/4 thermarest and the chair
      > it fits into. Plastic silverware and one plastic sheet that folds
      > into a bowl. My husband is carrying the stove and the technical part
      > of the tent. Suggestions on required toiletries? Sunscreen is a big
      > necessity for me. Deodorant? All unscented of course. A camelback
      > of water as well as a nalgene with gatorade. Finally, my sleeping bag
      > is synthetic and approx. a thirty degree bag. I believe that does
      > it. Thanks in advance for your help.

    • Bruce Lewis
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 22, 2006
        Deaer shoshgrp,

        Sounds like you have an ideal set up. What two-person tent do you have that
        is only 2#. A tarp?

        What does water filter (a cup) mean? What does your pack weight and which
        one do you have?

        Bruce
        http:/lightbackpacking.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 23, 2006
          Just put all on the scale:

          > What two-person tent do you have that is only 2#. A tarp?

          -- 2-person tent, pretty big inside. 2 people + all gear in it.
          My tent is an older version (see link below). It came with only net
          door and I sew "rain door" to it.
          Six Moon Design, 33 oz. with Ultralight Floor
          http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=40

          Today, after 2 years of intensive backpacking trips (never cleaned
          it), it is: 2Lb + 7 Oz.

          -- I also carry the "Space All-Weather Blanket" to put underneath the
          tent (also for emergency).
          12 Oz

          > What does water filter (a cup) mean?

          -- PentaPure Travel Cup – 2 Oz.
          It's a plastic cup that has a purification chamber based on iodine at
          the bottom. Water runs through it. It has a little test of iodine but
          not as bad as the tablets. I also carry iodine tablets as a backup.
          It is available in UK and NZ. I found a similar cup in US and just
          ordered 5 more for next years ($26).

          The link below shows a cup that comes with it. The filter cup is
          inside that cup.
          I carry the filter only and purify it directly to Nalgene bottle.
          http://www.wmsplc.co.uk/Water_Purification.html?A=1&V=&GID=9049

          > What does your pack weight and which one do you have?

          -- Gregory Z Pack – Small.
          I took the back panel out.
          On the scale: 2Lb 11Oz

          -- Sleeping bag:
          Mountain Hardwear Phantom +15 Sleeping Bag – Short (5.5')
          2Lb including its bag.

          -- First aid: 1Lb 5Oz

          -- UrSack + Aluminum Liner: 1Lb 6Oz

          --- In ultralightbackpacking@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Lewis <bruce@...>