BackpackGearTest.org - Call for Gear Testers

  • Andrew Priest
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 26, 2005
      G'day All

      This is a blatant plug for BackpackGearTest. We want more Testers to
      test FREE gear. Why? Read on.

      BackpackGearTest.org is an international volunteer organisation
      dedicated to testing gear. It is strictly NON-commercial: there are
      NO fees (and no advertising either). The aim is to really test
      backpacking (bushwalking, tramping, walking) gear and to report on
      that gear for the benefit of other hikers (walkers). These reviews
      can be read by anyone at all around the world, for free.

      We also need more testers due to manufacturer demand as can be seen
      from our Outdoor Retailer Show reports which you can find at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/News/?topic=SummerMarket

      So what is involved?

      Well, BackpackGearTest.org talks with vendors and persuades them to
      put items up for test. These items are advertised and qualified
      Testers send in applications. Usually there are three to five copies
      of any item, so three to five Testers are chosen. They get the gear,
      test it and report to BackpackGearTest.org on it, and then are
      allowed to keep the gear. Actually, more and more vendors are now
      coming to us to OFFER gear.

      In more detail then:

      Anyone can become involved. To become a 'qualified Tester' you have
      to submit two 'Owner Reviews' (ORs) and have them accepted.
      BackpackGearTest.org reviews have to meet certain standards, but
      these can be found on the http://www.backpackgeartest.org web site
      and the BackpackGearTest.org Editors will help you meet the
      standards. The more ORs you write, the better your chances of getting
      selected for the big items of gear. The day-to-day traffic about the
      tests and reports is on
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/ feel free to lurk.
      It's free too.

      Once you have had two ORs accepted you are a 'newbie'. This means you
      can Field Test one significant bit of gear. Sometimes minor items can
      also be tested. The sequence for a Field Test is:

      * On receipt of the gear: notify BGT that day.
      * Within 7 days: submit an Initial Report: first impressions, without
      any field testing.
      * Within 2 months: submit a Field Report (FR) based on actual use in the field.
      * After 4 months: submit a Long Term Report (LTR) - did it wear out etc.

      After this the gear is yours to keep.

      Once you have finished one full Test (i.e., submitted the LTR) you
      'graduate', and can then apply for multiple items. The purpose of the
      slow intro is to ensure that everyone who is given a bit of gear WILL
      complete the full Test and WILL write the reports. Before that the
      gear belongs to BackpackGearTest.org. That's the deal. In practice,
      many experienced Testers may have six or more items under Test at one
      time. That's fine, but you do have to write all the reports.

      So far I have become involved in testing:

      * Sierra Designs Osage Sleeping Bag - In progress.
      * Red Ledge Cirrostratus Jacket - Completed.
      * MSR Overland Carbon trekking poles - Completed.
      * Shock Doctor Ultra 3 Footbeds - Completed.
      * Mountain Safety Research (MSR) Missing Link Tent - Completed.
      * Watchful Eye Designs O.P. Sak bags - Completed.
      * Cascade Designs Therm-A-Rest ProLite 4S Sleeping Pad - Completed.
      * Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain Packcloth Gaiters - Completed.
      * AntiGravityGear Mamas Kitchen Cookset - Completed.
      * Tektite Trek Lithium Flashlight - Completed
      * Bite Trail Low Sandals - Completed
      * Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone 3800 backpack - Completed.
      * Enertia Trail Foods Single Meals - Completed.
      * Leatherman Squirt S4 - Completed.
      * Red Ledge Voyager Rain Gear - Completed.
      * Birdiepal Junior Umbrella - Completed.
      * Duray Socks - Completed.

      Do these things look interesting? And how! There are some big brand
      names included, as well as smaller brands, which are available over the web.

      Why do vendors participate? Because BackpackGearTest.org is now way
      up on the Google hit list for people searching for info on new gear.
      It's becoming a major gear reference site, because unlike the
      magazines it is unbiased.

      In addition, I get to read about some of the latest gear
      developments, including the stuff from the smaller manufacturers. And
      especially in the lightweight and ultralightweight areas. This
      happens on the backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com channel, open to
      all to read.

      So why am I advertising this?

      BackpackGearTest.org needs more Testers for the gear that is being
      offered. Many of the current Testers have as much gear as they can
      handle (max'ed out), and yet more gear is being offered to
      BackpackGearTest.org. As well we are getting more international
      manufacturers (e.g., Australian and New Zealand) interested as well.

      Have a look at the BackpackGearTest.org web site and the Yahoo group,
      and see what you think.

      Cheers
      Andrew Priest
      ==
      Personal Website: http://aushiker.com
      ICQ No. 38215599
      MSN Messenger: aushiker@...
      Yahoo Messenger: Aushiker
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 10, 2005
        G'day

        This is a blatant plug for BackpackGearTest. We want more Testers to
        test FREE gear. Why? Read on.

        BackpackGearTest.org is an international volunteer organisation
        dedicated to testing gear. It is strictly NON-commercial: there are
        NO fees (and no advertising either). The aim is to really test
        backpacking (bushwalking, tramping, walking) gear and to report on
        that gear for the benefit of other hikers (walkers). These reviews
        can be read by anyone at all around the world, for free. If you want
        to here Jerry Goller, the founder of BackpackGearTest.org talk about
        the program, please visit http://www.wildebeat.net/index.cgi/2005/07/01#E003

[...]

        We also have in place a mentor program, where experienced testers are
        happy to work hand in hand with folks new to the program.

[...]

        * Petzl Tikka Plus headlamp - In progress.
[...]

        manufacturers (e.g., Australian, New Zealand, European and United
        Kingdom) interested.

        Have a look at the BackpackGearTest.org web site and the Yahoo!
        group, and see what you think.

        Regards
        Andrew Priest

        =
        School of Accounting, Finance and Economics
        Faculty of Business and Law
        Edith Cowan University
        Pearson Street
        Churchlands

        Phone: + 8 9273 8116
        Fax: + 8 9273 8121

        Skype Voice: Aushiker
        ICQ No. 38215599
        MSN Messenger: aushiker@...
        Yahoo Messenger: aushiker
      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 17, 2005
          G'day

[...]

          * Spectrum Brands Insect Repellents - in progress.

        • Tom Jones
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 18, 2005
            Andrew,

            Based on your description, it sounds like this isn't a job for a sometime hiker who often has dry spells for months at a time. Am I correct?

            Thanks. -Tom

            G'day

            ---------------------------------

          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 18, 2005
              At 10:46 PM 18/11/2005, you wrote:
              >Andrew,
              >
              > Based on your description, it sounds like this isn't a job for a
              > sometime hiker who often has dry spells for months at a time. Am I correct?

              Dear Tom

              If you mean by dry spells you don't go hiking the I would say you are
              probably correct. The test period is four months, during that period
              you are expected to use the gear a minimal amount. In apply for the
              gear you need to put a proposed test plan, that test plan shows your
              intended use amongst other matters.

              That said, you would only apply for tests in periods when you can
              test gear. So if there are periods then I would still consider it.
              You don't have to be an active tester all year round.

              Regards
              Andrew

              ==
              Personal Website: http://aushiker.com

              Skype User ID: Aushiker
              ICQ No. 38215599
              MSN Messenger: aushiker@...
              Yahoo Messenger: Aushiker

            • Ron Whittaker
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 19, 2005
                Andrew Priest <andrew@...> wrote:

                < G'day

                This is a blatant plug for BackpackGearTest. We want more Testers to test FREE gear. Why? Read on. >

                Hi Andrew:

                I am thinking about doing this. What types of items can be reviewed for the 2 trial reviews? I don't own a lot of big name big money hiking gear. I was thinking of reviewing my sleeping bag and tent that I used this year.

                Thanks,
                Ron

              • Andrew Priest
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 21, 2005
                  At 04:52 PM 19/11/2005, you wrote:
                  >Hi Andrew:
                  >
                  > I am thinking about doing this. What types of items can be
                  > reviewed for the 2 trial reviews? I don't own a lot of big name
                  > big money hiking gear. I was thinking of reviewing my sleeping bag
                  > and tent that I used this year.

                  Dear Ron

                  Great to hear of your interest. Basically you can write your Owner
                  Reviews any backpacking gear that you have reasonable experience
                  with. My suggestion is to, at the beginning, to keep it to simple
                  things. I would probably avoid the tent for now as they can be
                  complicated reviews.

                  If you wish I can put you on to our Mentor program people and someone
                  will work with you on getting into the program.

                  Regards
                  Andrew

                  ==

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 13, 2006
                    G'day

[...]

                    * Wilderness Wear Kosciuszko Socks - In progress.
                    * Petzl Tikka Plus headlamp - In progress.
                    * Spectrum Brands Insect Repellents - Completed.
                    * Sierra Designs Osage Sleeping Bag - Completed.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 11, 2006
                      G'day

[...]

                      Testers send in applications. Usually there are three of any item, so
                      three are chosen. They get the gear, test it and report to
                      BackpackGearTest.org on it, and then are allowed to keep the gear.
                      Actually, more and more vendors are now coming to us to OFFER gear.

                      In more detail then:

                      Anyone can become involved. To become a 'qualified Tester' you have
                      to submit two 'Owner Reviews' (ORs) and have them accepted.
                      BackpackGearTest.org reviews have to meet certain standards, but
                      these can be found on the http://www.backpackgeartest.org web site
                      and the BackpackGearTest.org Editors will help you meet the
                      standards. The more ORs you write, the better your chances of getting
                      selected for the big items of gear. The day-to-day traffic about the
                      Owner Reviews etc is on
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/ and the actually Test
                      administration is done at
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTesters/. Feel free to
                      lurk. Both groups are free too.

                      We also have in place a mentor program, where experienced testers are
                      happy to work hand in hand with folks new to the program. If you
                      would like to work with a mentor, please ask for a mentor in our
                      group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/.

[...]

                      The last 20 items I have tested or currently are testing are:

                      * Big Sky Products Evolution 1P Shelter - In progress
                      * Wilderness Wear Kosciuszko Socks - In progress.
                      * Petzl Tikka Plus headlamp - Completed.

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 5, 2006
                        G'day

[...]

                        * Zyflex Thermal Shirt and Pants - To commence
                        * Granite Gear Stratus Latitude - In progress
                        * Big Sky Products Better than Fleece Convertible Jacket - In progress

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 16, 2006
                          G'day

[...]

                          * Kamik Chase shoes - To commerce
                          * SealLine Storm Sack - To Commerce
                          * MSR CloudLiner - In progress
                          * Zyflex Thermal Shirt and Pants - In progress
                          * Granite Gear Stratus Latitude - In progress
                          * Big Sky Products Better than Fleece Convertible Jacket - In progress
                          * Big Sky Products Evolution 1P Shelter - In progress
                          * Wilderness Wear Kosciuszko Socks - Completed.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 28, 2006
                              G'day

[...]

                              * Kamik Chase shoes - In progress
                              * Therm-a-Rest Trail Comfort - In progress
                              * SealLine Storm Sack - In progress
                              * MSR CloudLiner - In progress
                              * Zyflex Thermal Shirt and Pants - In progress
                              * Granite Gear Stratus Latitude - In progress
                              * Big Sky Products Better than Fleece Convertible Jacket - Completed
                              * Big Sky Products Evolution 1P Shelter - Completed

                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 1, 2006
                                G'day

[...]

                                * Granite Gear Stratus Latitude - Completed