Re: New guy interested in buildins a UC

  • Monroe K
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 8, 2011
      Thanks Terry I will do that I'm in Lampasas near Austin, Texas

      Monroe

      --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Hallett" <terry@...> wrote:

      > I am not aware of a properly built UC experiencing any kind of structural failure. The wing failure in Canada was due to the builder substituting a "make shift" rear spar to allow his construction to progress. Then, unfortunately he forgot to replace it with the proper material.
      > You are also correct that this yahoo group is not very active. I would suggest you visit our facebook page or call Hummel Aviation for a builder in your area. We are happy to answer your questions here, but there is nothing like unbiased third party opinion.
      > Terry Hallett
      > Hummel Aviation

    • Monroe K
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 8, 2011
        Why cant I find a facebook page?

        Monroe

        --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, "Monroe K" <monroe_lee2000@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Terry I will do that I'm in Lampasas near Austin, Texas
        >
        > Monroe
        >
        > --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Hallett" <terry@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I am not aware of a properly built UC experiencing any kind of structural failure. The wing failure in Canada was due to the builder substituting a "make shift" rear spar to allow his construction to progress. Then, unfortunately he forgot to replace it with the proper material.
        > > You are also correct that this yahoo group is not very active. I would suggest you visit our facebook page or call Hummel Aviation for a builder in your area. We are happy to answer your questions here, but there is nothing like unbiased third party opinion.
        > > Terry Hallett
        > > Hummel Aviation

      • Terry Hallett
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 8, 2011
          Monroen
          Shortening the wing from 25 ft to 22-1/2' is fine. The plans actually show the shorter wing. We did this a few years ago to save weight.
          An easy way to facebook is go to our website www.flyhummel.com and click on the link at the top of the page. Or go to facebook.com and type in Hummel Aviation.
          Terry

          Terry

          From: "Monroe K" <monroe_lee2000@...>
          Sender: ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 21:19:40 -0000
          To: <ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [ultracruiser] Re: New guy interested in buildins a UC

          Why cant I find a facebook page?

          Monroe

          --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, "Monroe K" <monroe_lee2000@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Terry I will do that I'm in Lampasas near Austin, Texas
          >
          > Monroe
          >
          > --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Hallett" <terry@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am not aware of a properly built UC experiencing any kind of structural failure. The wing failure in Canada was due to the builder substituting a "make shift" rear spar to allow his construction to progress. Then, unfortunately he forgot to replace it with the proper material.
          > > You are also correct that this yahoo group is not very active. I would suggest you visit our facebook page or call Hummel Aviation for a builder in your area. We are happy to answer your questions here, but there is nothing like unbiased third party opinion.
          > > Terry Hallett
          > > Hummel Aviation

        • rwhassel
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 8, 2011
            I just started my UC (plans #600). It's a blast!

            After starting the tail kit on an RV-9 (which I still hope to finish some day) I was a little afraid of going to sheet metal and actually building parts. I've watched enough EAA homebuilder video's along with the Bill Spring set and great builder sites to have the confidence that this is really doable. Of course it's even more fun thinking about 1.9 gallons of mogas an hour, ultralight weight and did I mention 1.9 gallons of mogas an hour?

            Go for it!

            Bob

            Santa Fe, NM

          • Monroe K
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 9, 2011
              Is it possible to delete the removable wing? Maybe gain a little strength and save some more weight?

              Monroe
              --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Hallett" <terry@...> wrote:

              > Monroen
              > Shortening the wing from 25 ft to 22-1/2' is fine. The plans actually show the shorter wing. We did this a few years ago to save weight.
              > An easy way to facebook is go to our website www.flyhummel.com and click on the link at the top of the page. Or go to facebook.com and type in Hummel Aviation.
              > Terry
              > Terry

            • Terry Hallett
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 9, 2011
                Monroe,
                The wing fittings are stronger than the spar itself, but it might save weight. You would need to taper the 1X1X.125 2024 spar cap from a foot or so outboard of the carry thru to the tip. A lot of calculating but it would be possible. Down side is an airplane without a removable wing.
                Terry

                Terry

                From: "Monroe K" <monroe_lee2000@...>
                Sender: ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 17:38:36 -0000
                To: <ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com

                Is it possible to delete the removable wing? Maybe gain a little strength and save some more weight?

                Monroe

                --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Hallett" <terry@...> wrote:

                > Monroen
                > Shortening the wing from 25 ft to 22-1/2' is fine. The plans actually show the shorter wing. We did this a few years ago to save weight.
                > An easy way to facebook is go to our website www.flyhummel.com and click on the link at the top of the page. Or go to facebook.com and type in Hummel Aviation.
                > Terry
                > Terry

              • Monroe K
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 9, 2011
                  Thanks Terry I cant ever forsee needing to remove the wings in my situation! I'm also interested in your view of adding expanding foam to the wing. Do you think this would improve strength? I'm a light pilot at 128lbs 5'10 and I've weighed that 30 years lol. I could spare prob up to 40lbs for foam though I doubt it would weigh that much.

                  Monroe

                  --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Hallett" <terry@...> wrote:

                  > Monroe,
                  > The wing fittings are stronger than the spar itself, but it might save weight. You would need to taper the 1X1X.125 2024 spar cap from a foot or so outboard of the carry thru to the tip. A lot of calculating but it would be possible. Down side is an airplane without a removable wing.
                  > Terry
                  > Terry

                • Dennis Brooks
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 10, 2011
                    Hi Monroe    I now have 130 hours in my UC and I am having a blast in it!! As far as the wing goes you can pick up the airplane by the wing tip so I think it is pretty sturdy. Now I will say the as far as individual pieces it is flimsy but after you get it all together it is I strong airplane as long as you remember how think the wing skins are. As far as flying I think it flys very well. Now as far as rudder goes I did add 3 more in. to it. Hope this helps you. By the way my airplane is in the Oct. issue of Kitplanes mag...............Dennis

                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 14, 2011
                      That sounds Awesome! Hey. I'm interested in what pitch props are being run on what hp engines and at what rpm's I hear that in air adjustable props are not worth their weight and a fella said he sold his for $50 bucks it was so worthless on an ultralight.

                      I'm thinking about a Microsquirt fuel injection system with a homemade centrifugal supercharger and I need to know about what RPM I'll be running to figure out what size turbo housing to use. The Megasquirt handles the timing and fuel injectors these new centrifugal superchargers are just turbos with 4:1 gearing so I want to mount a planetary gear-set on the end of the crank and drive the supercharger mounted on the back-plate. I'm a machinist so I can build the thing right into the back-plate and save weight.

                      Also where in the heck could a powered parachute fit on this thing and still look good? :)

                      --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Brooks <brooks.dennis24@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Monroe    I now have 130 hours in my UC and I am having a blast in it!! As far as the wing goes you can pick up the airplane by the wing tip so I think it is pretty sturdy. Now I will say the as far as individual pieces it is flimsy but after you get it all together it is I strong airplane as long as you remember how think the wing skins are. As far as flying I think it flys very well. Now as far as rudder goes I did add 3 more in. to it. Hope this helps you. By the way my airplane is in the Oct. issue of Kitplanes mag...............Dennis
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Dennis Brooks
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 14, 2011
                        Hi Monroe Im running a 54x22 prop, At 63 mph Im doing 3250rpm.Hummel thinks I may need a 24 pitch prop to lower my rpms. I hope this helps you..................Dennis

                        That sounds Awesome! Hey. I'm interested in what pitch props are being run on what hp engines and at what rpm's I hear that in air adjustable props are not worth their weight and a fella said he sold his for $50 bucks it was so worthless on an ultralight.

                        I'm thinking about a Microsquirt fuel injection system with a homemade centrifugal supercharger and I need to know about what RPM I'll be running to figure out what size turbo housing to use. The Megasquirt handles the timing and fuel injectors these new centrifugal superchargers are just turbos with 4:1 gearing so I want to mount a planetary gear-set on the end of the crank and drive the supercharger mounted on the back-plate. I'm a machinist so I can build the thing right into the back-plate and save weight.

                        Also where in the heck could a powered parachute fit on this thing and still look good? :)

                        --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Brooks <brooks.dennis24@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Monroe    I now have 130 hours in my UC and I am having a blast in it!! As far as the wing goes you can pick up the airplane by the wing tip so I think it is pretty sturdy. Now I will say the as far as individual pieces it is flimsy but after you get it all together it is I strong airplane as long as you remember how think the wing skins are. As far as flying I think it flys very well. Now as far as rudder goes I did add 3 more in. to it. Hope this helps you. By the way my airplane is in the Oct. issue of Kitplanes mag...............Dennis
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Albert Delahlussaye
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 16, 2011
                          Anything faster than 63 mph does not qualify as an UL.

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Sep 14, 2011, at 10:29 AM, Dennis Brooks <brooks.dennis24@...> wrote:

                          Hi Monroe Im running a 54x22 prop, At 63 mph Im doing 3250rpm.Hummel thinks I may need a 24 pitch prop to lower my rpms. I hope this helps you..................Dennis

                          That sounds Awesome! Hey. I'm interested in what pitch props are being run on what hp engines and at what rpm's I hear that in air adjustable props are not worth their weight and a fella said he sold his for $50 bucks it was so worthless on an ultralight.

                          I'm thinking about a Microsquirt fuel injection system with a homemade centrifugal supercharger and I need to know about what RPM I'll be running to figure out what size turbo housing to use. The Megasquirt handles the timing and fuel injectors these new centrifugal superchargers are just turbos with 4:1 gearing so I want to mount a planetary gear-set on the end of the crank and drive the supercharger mounted on the back-plate. I'm a machinist so I can build the thing right into the back-plate and save weight.

                          Also where in the heck could a powered parachute fit on this thing and still look good? :)

                          --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Brooks <brooks.dennis24@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Monroe    I now have 130 hours in my UC and I am having a blast in it!! As far as the wing goes you can pick up the airplane by the wing tip so I think it is pretty sturdy. Now I will say the as far as individual pieces it is flimsy but after you get it all together it is I strong airplane as long as you remember how think the wing skins are. As far as flying I think it flys very well. Now as far as rudder goes I did add 3 more in. to it. Hope this helps you. By the way my airplane is in the Oct. issue of Kitplanes mag...............Dennis
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Dennis Brooks
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 16, 2011
                            Hi Albert   You are right!! And my only interest is lowering my rpms NOT going faster. I just want to help make the engine last longer...............Dennis

                            That sounds Awesome! Hey. I'm interested in what pitch props are being run on what hp engines and at what rpm's I hear that in air adjustable props are not worth their weight and a fella said he sold his for $50 bucks it was so worthless on an ultralight.

                            I'm thinking about a Microsquirt fuel injection system with a homemade centrifugal supercharger and I need to know about what RPM I'll be running to figure out what size turbo housing to use. The Megasquirt handles the timing and fuel injectors these new centrifugal superchargers are just turbos with 4:1 gearing so I want to mount a planetary gear-set on the end of the crank and drive the supercharger mounted on the back-plate. I'm a machinist so I can build the thing right into the back-plate and save weight.

                            Also where in the heck could a powered parachute fit on this thing and still look good? :)

                            --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Brooks <brooks.dennis24@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Monroe    I now have 130 hours in my UC and I am having a blast in it!! As far as the wing goes you can pick up the airplane by the wing tip so I think it is pretty sturdy. Now I will say the as far as individual pieces it is flimsy but after you get it all together it is I strong airplane as long as you remember how think the wing skins are. As far as flying I think it flys very well. Now as far as rudder goes I did add 3 more in. to it. Hope this helps you. By the way my airplane is in the Oct. issue of Kitplanes mag...............Dennis
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Sylvain Bélanger
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 17, 2011
                              Hi Dennis.
                              Developping the same HP and lowering the rpm will make the manifold pressure go up which is not a good idea to make the engine last longer.
                              The 1/2 vw is "happy" running ar around 3000 rpm with a manifold pressure of 21 to 23.
                              Also, it is not easy to make the UC an ultralight even with the strict minimum equipment. Adding anything like a supercharger and everything that goes around it will definitely make it heavier than 254 pounds.

                              Sylvain.

                              On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Dennis Brooks <brooks.dennis24@...> wrote:

                              Hi Albert   You are right!! And my only interest is lowering my rpms NOT going faster. I just want to help make the engine last longer...............Dennis

                              That sounds Awesome! Hey. I'm interested in what pitch props are being run on what hp engines and at what rpm's I hear that in air adjustable props are not worth their weight and a fella said he sold his for $50 bucks it was so worthless on an ultralight.

                              I'm thinking about a Microsquirt fuel injection system with a homemade centrifugal supercharger and I need to know about what RPM I'll be running to figure out what size turbo housing to use. The Megasquirt handles the timing and fuel injectors these new centrifugal superchargers are just turbos with 4:1 gearing so I want to mount a planetary gear-set on the end of the crank and drive the supercharger mounted on the back-plate. I'm a machinist so I can build the thing right into the back-plate and save weight.

                              Also where in the heck could a powered parachute fit on this thing and still look good? :)

                              --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Brooks <brooks.dennis24@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Monroe    I now have 130 hours in my UC and I am having a blast in it!! As far as the wing goes you can pick up the airplane by the wing tip so I think it is pretty sturdy. Now I will say the as far as individual pieces it is flimsy but after you get it all together it is I strong airplane as long as you remember how think the wing skins are. As far as flying I think it flys very well. Now as far as rudder goes I did add 3 more in. to it. Hope this helps you. By the way my airplane is in the Oct. issue of Kitplanes mag...............Dennis
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • Dennis Brooks
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 17, 2011
                                Hi Sylvain  I think you are getting me confused with some one else. I do NOT want to put a super charger on my engine. I WANT to fly in the ultralight category. Hummel says they think I need 2 more in of pitch to lower my RPM to what their engines run at 60 MPH. Yes I was wondering about the HP at a lower RPM and what the engine might like about it. I have no manifold gauge to know what it is doing. Like I say I dont want to go faster JUST lower my RPM..........................Dennis

                                That sounds Awesome! Hey. I'm interested in what pitch props are being run on what hp engines and at what rpm's I hear that in air adjustable props are not worth their weight and a fella said he sold his for $50 bucks it was so worthless on an ultralight.

                                I'm thinking about a Microsquirt fuel injection system with a homemade centrifugal supercharger and I need to know about what RPM I'll be running to figure out what size turbo housing to use. The Megasquirt handles the timing and fuel injectors these new centrifugal superchargers are just turbos with 4:1 gearing so I want to mount a planetary gear-set on the end of the crank and drive the supercharger mounted on the back-plate. I'm a machinist so I can build the thing right into the back-plate and save weight.

                                Also where in the heck could a powered parachute fit on this thing and still look good? :)

                                --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Brooks <brooks.dennis24@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Monroe    I now have 130 hours in my UC and I am having a blast in it!! As far as the wing goes you can pick up the airplane by the wing tip so I think it is pretty sturdy. Now I will say the as far as individual pieces it is flimsy but after you get it all together it is I strong airplane as long as you remember how think the wing skins are. As far as flying I think it flys very well. Now as far as rudder goes I did add 3 more in. to it. Hope this helps you. By the way my airplane is in the Oct. issue of Kitplanes mag...............Dennis
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • Sylvain Bélanger
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 17, 2011
                                  Hi Dennis.
                                  Sorry, my message mas for Monroe.

                                  Sylvain.

                                  On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Dennis Brooks <brooks.dennis24@...> wrote:

                                  Hi Sylvain  I think you are getting me confused with some one else. I do NOT want to put a super charger on my engine. I WANT to fly in the ultralight category. Hummel says they think I need 2 more in of pitch to lower my RPM to what their engines run at 60 MPH. Yes I was wondering about the HP at a lower RPM and what the engine might like about it. I have no manifold gauge to know what it is doing. Like I say I dont want to go faster JUST lower my RPM..........................Dennis

                                  That sounds Awesome! Hey. I'm interested in what pitch props are being run on what hp engines and at what rpm's I hear that in air adjustable props are not worth their weight and a fella said he sold his for $50 bucks it was so worthless on an ultralight.

                                  I'm thinking about a Microsquirt fuel injection system with a homemade centrifugal supercharger and I need to know about what RPM I'll be running to figure out what size turbo housing to use. The Megasquirt handles the timing and fuel injectors these new centrifugal superchargers are just turbos with 4:1 gearing so I want to mount a planetary gear-set on the end of the crank and drive the supercharger mounted on the back-plate. I'm a machinist so I can build the thing right into the back-plate and save weight.

                                  Also where in the heck could a powered parachute fit on this thing and still look good? :)

                                  --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Brooks <brooks.dennis24@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Monroe    I now have 130 hours in my UC and I am having a blast in it!! As far as the wing goes you can pick up the airplane by the wing tip so I think it is pretty sturdy. Now I will say the as far as individual pieces it is flimsy but after you get it all together it is I strong airplane as long as you remember how think the wing skins are. As far as flying I think it flys very well. Now as far as rudder goes I did add 3 more in. to it. Hope this helps you. By the way my airplane is in the Oct. issue of Kitplanes mag...............Dennis
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________

                                • Albert
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 17, 2011
                                    I believe adding 2 more inches of pitch will lower your RPM's at cruise. It will also effect your climb rate. Also weather temperature will pay a big part in this also. Winter prop and a hot summer prop, cruise or climb prop. Prop manufactures are all different also. A 54 may do the same as a 52 from another manufacture  You will have to experiment with them and find a good all around prop. Keep us informed and let us know how it turns out.
                                    Albert

                                  • Monroe K
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 17, 2011
                                      Thanks Dennis! that does help. Congrats on the article!

                                      Monroe

                                      --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Brooks <brooks.dennis24@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Monroe Im running a 54x22 prop, At 63 mph Im doing 3250rpm.Hummel thinks I may need a 24 pitch prop to lower my rpms. I hope this helps you..................Dennis
                                      >

                                      > ________________________________

                                    • Monroe K
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 17, 2011
                                        I intend to start the UC as an ultralight and transition it to a LSA if I like flying that much. Thats why I'd like to know a few other things about the UC. I'd like to know if I can increase the Vne to about 120mph. I'm wondering if filling the wings with foam would help that. I don't know a lot of things I'm just trying to learn as much as I can. I can only afford to do this once and looks to me like it's possible to get 2 planes out of the UC rather than one. One I can build and fly as an ultralight and then modify into a LSA.
                                        I can make 50 hp with a 1/2 VW for short burst and cruse at 70% if I know what the RPM range I need is. The centrifugal supercharger only makes pressure at the high end so it will effect cruse less than a positive displacement blower would. So better fuel consumption too.
                                        I'm not sure the airfoil will take that though. So I'm still working on a plan.

                                        Monroe

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 17, 2011
                                          Dennis what version of the motor are you running? How much do you weigh?

                                          Monroe

                                          --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Brooks <brooks.dennis24@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi Albert   You are right!! And my only interest is lowering my rpms NOT going faster. I just want to help make the engine last longer...............Dennis
                                          >

                                          > ________________________________

                                        • rwhassel
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 17, 2011
                                            hmmm...First off I've never flown a Hummel of any kind. I've only just started to build...I try not to sleep in Holiday Inn's (nothing wrong with them - my idea of roughing it is no room service).

                                            I'm not sure you could see 120 mph with a 1/2 VW engine. That would double the cruise speed listed on the Hummel web site for the UC.
                                            A legal UL aircraft can go no more than 55 knots in level flight. To double the air speed without major engineering modifications to teh airframe (especially the control surfaces). I doubt that flutter testing has been done on the airframe systems at those speeds.

                                            One of the things that makes the UC ultralightable is that it's light weight. For example, the UL version probably has no canopy, no spinner and stiff gear. You are really fighting for every ounce of weight you can save. The plane itself is built with a gross weight specification of 500 pounds (also the FAA UL limts). To be a UL it must also weigh no more than 254 pounds empty (no fuel or oil).

                                            The UL specifications set by the FAA restrict fuel load for any UL to only 5 gallons total. Fuel consumption with the 47hp Hummel engine is (according to the web site) about 1.9 gallons/hour. You can probably pull the throttle back and burn less fuel, but pushing it harder means that it will burn more fuel (generally speaking). Even if you could get it closer to 90mph your fuel burn would be so high that your fight time would be really limited.

                                            I totally understand the cost of building/flying and only getting one shot. The difference between a UL aircraft and an LSA aircraft is really two totally different missions and two totally different aircraft even if it only takes one pound to make that difference. You could always build the UL and sell it if you wanted to go LSA. There are many VW based LSA plans and kits available to make flying affordable. On the Hummel side alone is the H5 which is LSA and would probably meet your cruise speed needs as well as other criteria. Since this is an UC forum I won't go into the other designs but the idea is IF you can build a UC as a UL I'd bet that changing it to cruise 120mph would cost more in engineering costs than just building an aircraft that already meets that criteria.

                                            I don't want to dampen the fire but physics, the FAA and your life all play a part.

                                            Bob

                                            --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, "Monroe K" <monroe_lee2000@...> wrote:

                                            I'd like to know if I can increase the Vne to about 120mph. I'm wondering if filling the wings with foam would help that. I don't know a lot of things I'm just trying to learn as much as I can. I can only afford to do this once and looks to me like it's possible to get 2 planes out of the UC rather than one. One I can build and fly as an ultralight and then modify into a LSA.
                                            > I can make 50 hp with a 1/2 VW for short burst and cruse at 70% if I know what the RPM range I need is. The centrifugal supercharger only makes pressure at the high end so it will effect cruse less than a positive displacement blower would. So better fuel consumption too.
                                            > I'm not sure the airfoil will take that though. So I'm still working on a plan.
                                            >
                                            > Monroe
                                            >
                                            > --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, Albert Delahlussaye <delhoose@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Anything faster than 63 mph does not qualify as an UL.

                                          • Dennis
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 18, 2011
                                              Short answer: No
                                              Detailed answer:
                                              Going much faster than the Vne will get the wings ripped off in flight. Filling them with foam will make them float if they come off over a lake. The spar and wing length is what makes flying faster possible.

                                              You don't want to stray too far from the plans when building a plane. The exception is if you are an aeronautical engineer and have designed planes before.

                                              If you want a faster "ultralight" look into the cri-cri. The plans are available for free download on the web. It does 120 mph or so and has twin engines so its not a true UL, but it only weighs 175# and is rated for aerobatics. The down side is that its a more complicated build than the UC and you can't weigh more than 180# or be more than 5'8". If that's you, then it might be what you want.

                                              Dennis - the other one.

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 18, 2011
                                                Hi albert Well at this time I cant aford to buy an other prop to try out but when I can I will let every one know what I get then. And by the way YES I have seen a difference in the way my UC goes now that it is getting cooler..................Dennis

                                                I believe adding 2 more inches of pitch will lower your RPM's at cruise. It will also effect your climb rate. Also weather temperature will pay a big part in this also. Winter prop and a hot summer prop, cruise or climb prop. Prop manufactures are all different also. A 54 may do the same as a 52 from another manufacture  You will have to experiment with them and find a good all around prop. Keep us informed and let us know how it turns out.
                                                Albert

                                                --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Brooks <brooks.dennis24@...> wrote:

                                                > Hi Sylvain  I think you are getting me confused with some one else. I do NOT want to put a super charger on my engine. I WANT to fly in the ultralight category. Hummel says they think I need 2 more in of pitch to lower my RPM to what their engines run at 60 MPH. Yes I was wondering about the HP at a lower RPM and what the engine might like about it. I have no manifold gauge to know what it is doing. Like I say I dont want to go faster JUST lower my RPM..........................Dennis
                                                >

                                                > ________________________________

                                              • Dennis Brooks
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Sep 18, 2011
                                                  Your Welcome Monroe

                                                  Thanks Dennis! that does help. Congrats on the article!

                                                  Monroe

                                                  --- In ultracruiser@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Brooks <brooks.dennis24@...> wrote:

                                                  > Hi Monroe Im running a 54x22 prop, At 63 mph Im doing 3250rpm.Hummel thinks I may need a 24 pitch prop to lower my rpms. I hope this helps you..................Dennis

                                                • Dennis Brooks
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Sep 18, 2011
                                                    Monroe  I am thinking that the UC as to think of a wing to get you to 120 MPH. The Hummelbird has (I think) a thinner wing which would allow you to go faster. But that would require you to have two different airplanes as one would be the UL you want and one would be the LSA that you want...................Dennis

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Sep 18, 2011
                                                      Hi Monroe Mine is the 37HP and I weigh 180................Dennis