HV/C-Bus - Power restore behaviour and triggering actions....

  • Kevin Hawkins
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 14, 2009
      If you use the gateway with C-Bus and HomeVision then you have the
      ability to run an 'Action' whenever a group changes state from off to on
      or the other way around. An action is effectively just a HV macro.
      However what should happen at power up ? IHC users do not have this
      consideration as the IHC network does not retain state.

      When the gateway initially starts up it sets the internal group states
      to 'unknown' and then it recovers the actual ones from C-Bus updating
      itself and also HomeVision. In doing this it will also run any action
      that is assigned to that group. Do people want this behaviour ? The
      alternative is that I only trigger actions for on>off or off>on and
      ignore the startup ones which will always be unknown>off or
      unknown>on. I can create a flag in HV to select either behaviour but
      if people want this on an individual group/device basis then I need to
      do it a different way.

      Also - have people any views on which device should be the 'master'
      responsible for defining the startup states of the groups after a power
      failure ? There is a choice of three - Gateway, C-Bus or HomeVision.
      Currently C-Bus has master responsibility although the HV power restored
      macro can interact as well as any actions.

      Gateway: Can restore the last known states (only)

      C-Bus: Can restore combinations of last known or default states
      on a group by group basis and also may initiate a sequence of changes ,
      other controllers may also be operating on C-Bus eg a PAC or C-Touch
      controller. Currently any changes to a group will always trigger any
      matching HV action.

      HomeVision: Can set power on state on a group by group basis
      (unknown|on|off|unchanged) as well as running a power restored macro. No
      actions are run directly but can be reflex triggered from C-Bus.
      Currently due to the sequence in which the gateway initialises it
      disregards any power on states enforced from HomeVision.

      Do I need to change anything here or add more options or is it fine
      as it is with C-Bus being the master - which seems to be how I prefer it ?

      Also do I need to consider aspects of only one of the three devices
      power cycling or can I assume the outage will cover all three ? Anybody
      UPS protect HV, CB or the gateway ? Currently a schedule reload into HV
      will be seen by the gateway and treated in the same way as a power cycle
      so the gateway will automatically restart itself.

      Cheers K
    • Paul Gale
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2009
        I would say CB is the master here.

        Re setting power up states - I'd vote for the HV flag option to set either method - I don't think it will really affect me too much though as nothing is really mission-critical

        Power outages here could separately (and have) affected CB and HV - HV is powered from a direct mains feed from the house dist board up to Node0 and CB comes via a different route. It has been known for an MCB or other device to trip and one or the other goes out.

        Does that help at all?

        Paul.

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4607 (20091114) __________

        http://www.eset.com