What other C-Bus applications is anyone using ?

  • Kevin Hawkins
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 12, 2009
      Hi,

      Aside from the ubiquitous lighting application and the associated
      trigger and enable applications are people here using , or wanting to
      use, any others ?

      I'm playing at the moment with data on these other applications so
      open to suggestions, time synch is an obvious one and telephony maybe
      as that can link directly with the matching xAP schema. Particularly
      interested if people are using the measurement application.

      Anyone here have a C-Bus Touch screen ?

      C-Bus Applications
      ==============

      Lighting (56)
      Additional Lighting (48-95)
      Trigger (202)
      Enable (203)
      Telephony (224)
      Measurement (228)
      Timekeeping (223)
      Security (208)
      Error
      AirCon / HVAC (172)
      HVAC Actuator Control (115,116)
      Irrigation (113)
      Heating (136)
      Pool/Spa/Fountian (114)

      cheers Kevin
    • Mike Griffiths
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 12, 2009

        I have a touch screen Kevin

[...]

        Antena Cyf
        Unit 2
        Cibyn
        Caernarfon
        LL55 2BD

        Tel: +44 (0)1286 662200
        Fax: +44 (0)1286 678594

        Antena Cyf. Rhif Cofrestredig 03626688
        Antena Cyf. Registered No. 03626688

        Email Disclaimer and Confidentiality Notice
        Ymwadiad Ebost a Rhybudd Cyfrinachedd
        http://www.antena.co.uk/email_disclaimer.htm

      • Phil Harris
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 12, 2009
          > Anyone here have a C-Bus Touch screen ?

          Yup - somewhere in the container. ;-)

          Phil
        • Graeme Hill
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 12, 2009
            Clipsal themselves have a product line called 'Vieo' which is an intelligent nurse call solution for aged care facilities. It uses nurse call points which communicate with a central computer via C-Bus wiring. There are a number of installations already running in Australia.

            [I should know I work on the product !]

            ============ ==

            Lighting (56)
            Additional Lighting (48-95)
            Trigger (202)
            Enable (203)
            Telephony (224)
            Measurement (228)
            Timekeeping (223)
            Security (208)
            Error
            AirCon / HVAC (172)
            HVAC Actuator Control (115,116)
            Irrigation (113)
            Heating (136)
            Pool/Spa/Fountian (114)

            cheers Kevin

          • ycliew1
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 12, 2009
              Hello Kevin,

              Just like to know when you are ready to ship out the interface? My HVPro system is ready for it.

              cheers.
              Liew

              --- In ukusa_gateway@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Hawkins <yahoogroupskh@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Aside from the ubiquitous lighting application and the associated
              > trigger and enable applications are people here using , or wanting to
              > use, any others ?
              >
              > I'm playing at the moment with data on these other applications so
              > open to suggestions, time synch is an obvious one and telephony maybe
              > as that can link directly with the matching xAP schema. Particularly
              > interested if people are using the measurement application.
              >
              > Anyone here have a C-Bus Touch screen ?
              >
              > C-Bus Applications
              > ==============
              >
              > Lighting (56)
              > Additional Lighting (48-95)
              > Trigger (202)
              > Enable (203)
              > Telephony (224)
              > Measurement (228)
              > Timekeeping (223)
              > Security (208)
              > Error
              > AirCon / HVAC (172)
              > HVAC Actuator Control (115,116)
              > Irrigation (113)
              > Heating (136)
              > Pool/Spa/Fountian (114)
              >

              > cheers Kevin

            • Paul Gale
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 13, 2009
                Time sync would be fabulous - if I can re-sync my DLT's regularly - they are sooooo unreliably fast :(

                Not sure about anything else - not sure what those apps would offer me?

                Paul.

              • Kevin Hawkins
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 13, 2009
                  Hi Liew,

                  I'm prepared to ship units overseas at the moment - but only with
                  the last (beta 01) firmware, once I have a couple of UK users that have
                  put the beta 02 firmware through an upgrade cycle then I'm prepared to
                  ship beta 02 units. Beta 01 does not include the iTouch client
                  personality , and I know you wanted that, so you can either add that
                  later as a (maybe) chargeable personality or wait until beta 02 is
                  released. Beta 01 units will upgrade by a (no charge) firmware download
                  to beta 02 retaining all their personalities.

                  cheers Kevin

                  ycliew1 wrote:
                  > Hello Kevin,
                  >
                  > Just like to know when you are ready to ship out the interface? My HVPro system is ready for it.
                  >
                  > cheers.
                  > Liew
                  >
                  > --- In ukusa_gateway@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Hawkins <yahoogroupskh@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hi,
                  >>
                  >> Aside from the ubiquitous lighting application and the associated
                  >> trigger and enable applications are people here using , or wanting to
                  >> use, any others ?
                  >>
                  >> I'm playing at the moment with data on these other applications so
                  >> open to suggestions, time synch is an obvious one and telephony maybe
                  >> as that can link directly with the matching xAP schema. Particularly
                  >> interested if people are using the measurement application.
                  >>
                  >> Anyone here have a C-Bus Touch screen ?
                  >>
                  >> C-Bus Applications
                  >> ==============
                  >>
                  >> Lighting (56)
                  >> Additional Lighting (48-95)
                  >> Trigger (202)
                  >> Enable (203)
                  >> Telephony (224)
                  >> Measurement (228)
                  >> Timekeeping (223)
                  >> Security (208)
                  >> Error
                  >> AirCon / HVAC (172)
                  >> HVAC Actuator Control (115,116)
                  >> Irrigation (113)
                  >> Heating (136)
                  >> Pool/Spa/Fountian (114)
                  >>

                  >> cheers Kevin

                • Kevin Hawkins
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 13, 2009
                    I am looking at this , hoping it's easy to do :-)

                    Actually the recovery of the time from an internet time server is
                    already in the Beta 01 but it seemed to conspire to stop the network
                    downloader occasionally , possibly if a time synch happened during a
                    firmware update so it's disabled. Now I have eeked out some more memory
                    I think I can avoid this.

                    I need to understand the C-Bus time application a little more as it's
                    surprisingly complex (21 pages) with lots of different C-Bus devices
                    negotiating for which becomes the master clock source, based on time
                    accuracy. Hopefully I can just implement part of it and then that would
                    suffice. That may however not be acceptable for Clipsals C-Bus Enabled
                    accreditation process.

                    Your DLT's do stay in synch with each other don't they , albeit they
                    will time drift as they are poor stability sources ?

                    Paul Gale wrote:
                    > Time sync would be fabulous - if I can re-sync my DLT's regularly - they are sooooo unreliably fast :(
                    >
                    > Not sure about anything else - not sure what those apps would offer me?
                    >
                    > Paul.

                  • Kevin Hawkins
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 13, 2009
                      That would make an interesting install example... C-Bus in a container ;-)

                      The dimming chandelier must create head height issues and wireless will
                      have difficult range issues.

                      Phil Harris wrote:
                      >> Anyone here have a C-Bus Touch screen ?
                      >>

                      > Yup - somewhere in the container. ;-)
                      >
                      > Phil

                    • Mike Griffiths
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 13, 2009
                        Don't worry Kevin
                        I don't think Clipsal even understand the time application!!
                        Mike

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 13, 2009
                          > Your DLT's do stay in synch with each other don't they , albeit they
                          > will time drift as they are poor stability sources ?

                          Yes - they stay in sych between all 14 DLT's but are fast by about 10 minutes a month or so!
                        • Mike Griffiths
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 13, 2009
                            thats on par for Cbus time Program

                            > Your DLT's do stay in synch with each other don't they , albeit they
                            > will time drift as they are poor stability sources ?

                            Yes - they stay in sych between all 14 DLT's but are fast by about 10 minutes a month or so!

                            Antena Cyf
                            Unit 2
                            Cibyn
                            Caernarfon
                            LL55 2BD

                            Tel: +44 (0)1286 662200
                            Fax: +44 (0)1286 678594

                            Antena Cyf. Rhif Cofrestredig 03626688
                            Antena Cyf. Registered No. 03626688

                            Email Disclaimer and Confidentiality Notice
                            Ymwadiad Ebost a Rhybudd Cyfrinachedd
                            http://www.antena.co.uk/email_disclaimer.htm

                          • Wilkinson, Ben
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 20, 2009

                              Sorry for the delay on this Kevin.  I’ve been on holiday.

                              I would love to be able to read the old temperature sensors.  I have a few of these wired into the system and it’s my only means of reading internal temperatures.  Clipsal released the spec on how to communicate with these, but I’ve never been able to make it work.

                              Ben

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 20, 2009
                                When you say the 'old temp sensors' which model do you mean ? I assume
                                they are no longer current and if I am thinking of the right ones they
                                had limitred resolution. It's always difficult supporting something when
                                you don't have one to test.

                                Do you have a link to the spec that Clipsal released and are they
                                participating in the measurement app or some other one ?

                                Wilkinson, Ben wrote:

                                > Sorry for the delay on this Kevin. I’ve been on holiday.
                                >
                                > I would love to be able to read the old temperature sensors. I have a
                                > few of these wired into the system and it’s my only means of reading
                                > internal temperatures. Clipsal released the spec on how to communicate
                                > with these, but I’ve never been able to make it work.
                                >
                                > Ben

                              • Mike Griffiths
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 21, 2009
                                  Here you go
                                  Mike

                                  http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1229&highlight=Polling+Temp+sensor

                                  C-Bus : Poll a C-Bus Temperature Sensor

                                  For those who want to know...

                                  This is some magic to read a C-Bus Temperature Sensor and get the temperature out of it.

                                  This is unsupported. If you do not understand this or it does not work for you, do not seek support from Clipsal.

                                  Introductory Comments

                                  The C-Bus Temperature sensor was designed a long time ago, and does not broadcast its measurements onto C-Bus. You have to poll the device.

                                  Polling of C-Bus devices is hugely frowned upon, so you must be very very careful.

                                  If you poll the temperature sensor, make sure you read it NO MORE frequently than once per minute.

                                  Step 1.

                                  Find, through whatever nefarious means, the unit address of your temperature sensor. This example assumes the temperature sensor is on the same network as your PCI.

                                  Step 2.

                                  Issue the following special magic command to the PCI on the local network:

                                  \06<unit>002A0E02

                                  Where <unit> is the unit address you found, expressed as 2 hex digits. For example, to read the temperature from unit address 42 (decimal 66), the command would be:

                                  \0642002A0E02

                                  Step 3.

                                  If the temperature sensor is present on that address you will get an answer back. The format of the answer will depend on how the PCI has been set up. It should look like this:

                                  86<unit><byte>00830E<val1><val2><checksum>

                                  where <unit> is the unit address you sent in Step 2, <byte> is 2 hex characters you can ignore, and <val1> and <val2> encode the temperature. For example, if you receive a reply of :

                                  86420900830E19774C

                                  This means :
                                  - Unit Address = 42 Hexadecimal (66 decimal)
                                  - val1 = 19 Hexadecimal (25 decimal)
                                  - val2 = 77 Hexadecimal (119 decimal)

                                  Step 4.

                                  Decode the temperature:

                                  <val1> and <val2> are each 2 hex characters, which you need to convert to bytes.

                                  <val1> is a signed number in the range -128 to +127, and represents whole degrees C.

                                  <val2> is an unsigned number in the range 0 .. 255, and represents the fractional part of the temperature in 1/256'ths of a degree.

                                  In the example above, the temperature is found from:

                                  Temp = val1 + val2 / 256
                                  = 25 + 119/256
                                  = 25.46C
                                  __________________
                                  Ashleigh

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 21, 2009
                                    Kevin,

                                    I'll get you this info over the weekend. I have a spare sensor which I can lend you if that's useful. I think it is the old one. I'd be happy to get new ones if that's easier for you.

                                    Ben

                                    Wilkinson, Ben wrote:

                                    > Sorry for the delay on this Kevin. I've been on holiday.
                                    >
                                    > I would love to be able to read the old temperature sensors. I have a
                                    > few of these wired into the system and it's my only means of reading
                                    > internal temperatures. Clipsal released the spec on how to communicate
                                    > with these, but I've never been able to make it work.
                                    >
                                    > Ben

                                  • yuenchoong liew
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 16, 2009
                                      Hello Kevin,

                                      Have you concluded your tests on the Beta 02 yet? If not, I will take the Beta 01 first and then upgrade later via download.

                                      Please let me know when you can ship out the interface and I will settle the amount with PayPal.

                                      ycliew1 wrote:
                                      > Hello Kevin,
                                      >
                                      > Just like to know when you are ready to ship out the interface? My HVPro system is ready for it.
                                      >
                                      > cheers.
                                      > Liew
                                      >
                                      > --- In ukusa_gateway@ yahoogroups. com, Kevin Hawkins <yahoogroupskh@ ...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> Hi,
                                      >>
                                      >> Aside from the ubiquitous lighting application and the associated
                                      >> trigger and enable applications are people here using , or wanting to
                                      >> use, any others ?
                                      >>
                                      >> I'm playing at the moment with data on these other applications so
                                      >> open to suggestions, time synch is an obvious one and telephony maybe
                                      >> as that can link directly with the matching xAP schema. Particularly
                                      >> interested if people are using the measurement application.
                                      >>
                                      >> Anyone here have a C-Bus Touch screen ?
                                      >>
                                      >> C-Bus Applications
                                      >> ============ ==
                                      >>
                                      >> Lighting (56)
                                      >> Additional Lighting (48-95)
                                      >> Trigger (202)
                                      >> Enable (203)
                                      >> Telephony (224)
                                      >> Measurement (228)
                                      >> Timekeeping (223)
                                      >> Security (208)
                                      >> Error
                                      >> AirCon / HVAC (172)
                                      >> HVAC Actuator Control (115,116)
                                      >> Irrigation (113)
                                      >> Heating (136)
                                      >> Pool/Spa/Fountian (114)
                                      >>

                                      >> cheers Kevin

                                    • Kevin Hawkins
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 16, 2009
                                        HI Liew,

                                        Changed the subject of this post to be more appropriate..

                                        Times are really busy so I still haven't finalised beta 2 , however
                                        I'm fairly sure I've fixed the worrying issue about the firmware updater
                                        so we've overcome the big concern I had...

                                        So at the moment I can ship you a V1 unit that you will be able to
                                        update to V2 as soon as it is available. Remind me of the options you
                                        want (HomeVision + C-Bus but not xAP ?) and your address in Malaysia (by
                                        a private email) and I'll get you a shipping quote. I have a feeling it
                                        was about £25 to ship when I last checked ... You can always add
                                        personality options later. The only hardware option that is not later
                                        updateable is 'galvanic isolation' which adds optical isolation for
                                        RS485 and a switched mode power supply . Fairly sure you don't need
                                        that ;-)

                                        yuenchoong liew wrote:

                                        > Hello Kevin,
                                        >
                                        > Have you concluded your tests on the Beta 02 yet? If not, I will take
                                        > the Beta 01 first and then upgrade later via download.
                                        >
                                        > Please let me know when you can ship out the interface and I will
                                        > settle the amount with PayPal.
                                        >
                                        > Cheers.
                                        > Liew

                                      • Wilkinson, Ben
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 21, 2009

                                          Mike,

                                          (I’m a bit behind on my email…)

                                          Thanks for this.  I had seen it in the forums also – some time ago - and spent quite a bit of time trying these instructions.  They didn’t work, although I ought to try again sometime.  Because CBUS were so negative about it, I didn’t try anything too adventurous at the time.

                                          Ben

[...]

                                          Ashleigh

                                          For more information please visit http://www.messagel abs.com/email