Re: [ukusa_gateway] Next beta release imminent... and then a change of plan

  • Kevin Hawkins
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 13, 2009
      Hi Guys,

      Just to let you know that the next release (beta 2) has a lot of
      memory reorganisation and in doing that I seem to have upset the
      Ethernet firmware updater a little :-( I'm still trying to ensure that
      it is rock solid before releasing it as the last thing I want to do is
      to have anyone not be able to update their firmware or 'brick' a unit.
      The issue is only occasional and so it's taking a lot of tracking down.

      This isssue is not present in the last released beta 1 firmware and
      so I'm happy to continue supplying gateways to those waiting (including
      overseas) as I know they can be later updated (there are no reported
      issues with that firmware).

      cheers Kevin

      PS Tech Tidbit for anyone interested :

      For those that are interested the firmware updater works by
      having a really tiny core routine in root memory and when you start an
      update this downloads a much larger routine to the processors extended
      memory which then overwrites my own program, assumes control, does all
      the Flash memory updating and reboots the processor with the updated
      code. If at the time the updater needs to download this larger
      application there is not enough free extended memory then I take action
      to jetison everything that I can in order to make more space. I'm
      thinking I'm still not releasing enough memory and so it's failing.
      This sequence of events as you can appreciate is pretty suicidal though
      should it fail..

      One thing I can do is actually permanently store that larger
      application in memory and then I don't need to create space for it 'on
      demand' when you run the updater. This also makes it more resilient to a
      power outage during an update but occupies memory I could better use for
      more features.. My expectation however was that I wouldn't have enough
      space - but curiously I do and then it seems to work perfectly. This of
      course doesn't really add up and whilst it is a solution, I've learnt to
      be fastidious in tracking down things that don't work as they should,
      even if you can mask them, as they tend to have a pernicious habit of
      coming back and biting you later.

    • Paul Gale
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 13, 2009
        Thanks for the update Kevin :)