Actions based on level change of group

  • Paul Gale
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2008
      Kevin,

      I think this isn’t possible but wanted to check…

      I’d like to setup an intelligent scene using a single CB group and dimmer button on a DLT. The idea is that I can set a level on the button and HV would interpret that level and set a number of lights, LEDs and other devices to a certain level. This level may also be based on time of day, alarm state etc etc.

      My understanding is that HV won’t currently trigger an action based on a level change, only an on/off. Is this correct?

      Is there a way to make this work? I’d love to be able to set a number of these intelligent scenes around the house.

      Thanks,

      Paul.

      __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3723 (20081230) __________

    • Kevin Hawkins
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2008
        No you can't currently do this as HomeVision only triggers actions based
        on on/off changes. Although a lamp can be off at a level eg off at 50%.
        There is a way if you use a xAP capable HA application (see end))

        I'm not sure what the advantage is over just setting a group on or off ?
        I realise you need more groups this way but there are plenty, also the
        LED indicators work correctly. Convince me it's a desireable feature ;-)
        BTW do you mean groups in the lighting application or the trigger
        application ?

        There are several issues..

        The main one is that sending/checking all the group levels can be very
        bandwidth heavy on the realtively slow HomeVision serial interface
        leading to delays in things happening.

        The action screens in HV or HVXL do not have a place to enter levels and
        there is only one action per group address. This makes the setup of such
        things complex and confusing.

        Triggering the action on every level change means every action macro has
        to check and decide whether it should run based on previous and current
        level. To do this you need to have previous level stored somewhere and
        it makes macros very long. A way to enable level triggers on a per group
        basis is also needed so that people wanting the normal on/off behaviour
        don't get triggers on level changes.

        Also consider a trigger based on say level 200. Should a lamp dimming
        from 210 to 190 over say 30 seconds trigger such an action ? In
        actuality the HV custom lighting level is set to 190 instantly at the
        start so it wouldn't. Supplying intermediate levels to HV would be very
        intensive - on a dim from 255 to 0 over a few secs then 256 different
        levels would have to be transferred realtime which is not possible.

        It may be that there is some sort of workaround for this in a future
        version but the way I tried it before (trigger on every change and
        supply old/new dim levels to teh macro) was complicated and wasn't going
        to be very useful. It may need some front end support within HVXL which
        Schelte might consider but the standard HV app wouldn't
        offer.

        You can already accomplish this using any xAP capable scripting
        application. You would trigger a script based on the level change and
        then send a xAP command to force run a suitable macro on HV.

        Paul Gale wrote:
        > Kevin,
        > I think this isn’t possible but wanted to check…
        > I’d like to setup an intelligent scene using a single CB group and
        > dimmer button on a DLT. The idea is that I can set a level on the
        > button and HV would interpret that level and set a number of lights,
        > LEDs and other devices to a certain level. This level may also be
        > based on time of day, alarm state etc etc.
        > My understanding is that HV won’t currently trigger an action based on
        > a level change, only an on/off. Is this correct?
        > Is there a way to make this work? I’d love to be able to set a number
        > of these intelligent scenes around the house.
        > Thanks,
        > Paul.
        > signature database 3723 (20081230) __________
        > http://www.eset.com

      • Paul Gale
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2008
          Thanks Kevin.

          Not sure what you meant by:

          " I'm not sure what the advantage is over just setting a group on or off ?
          I realise you need more groups this way but there are plenty, also the LED indicators work correctly."

          Let me explain an example of what I want to do better:

          In my loft I have an office with:
          1 x high wire dimmable system
          3 x 5A dimmable table lamp circuits
          2 x RGB LED floor marker lights (controlled via xAP)

          The landing has:
          1 x high wire system
          2 x 5A lamp circuits

          Etc etc

          Now I already have some/most of those on individual DLT keys but I've already run out so adding multiple CBus scenes isn't an option.

          Now, I could add a single DLT button, assigned to a group and turn that on/off - HV could then do the scene control and that would work OK BUT I want to be able to dim the scene and have HV do some clever stuff based on time of day, alarm state (eg night mode) etc etc.

          So, as I understand it, to change the scene levels, I'd need to somehow monitor the scene group level or act upon something automatically triggered in HV.

          Does what I want to achieve make sense?

          I really don't want to do it in a xAP app if possible - like you, I'd rather do anything concerned with lighting etc in hardware.

          Re the slower level changes etc - I don't (think!) I'm at all interested in changing a scene from a CB group level change that hasn't originated from a DLT or other switch input. At least, I've not thought of a situation yet where that would be useful. In my example, I'd just want to very occasionally set the CB group level on the DLT and have HV set all the actual light levels and do some other stuff.

          Now, thinking about it, obviously HV won't give me real-time feedback, so maybe this wouldn't be as useable as a CB dimmable scene? I guess most users would expect instant feedback on a dimmer?

          I guess another way to achieve a more basic version of this is to have a bell push key setup on the DLT and have HV cycle through several different combinations of levels in the scene.

          Thanks,

          Paul.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2009
            Paul Gale wrote:

            > Does what I want to achieve make sense?

            A scene on C-Bus is a collection of several groups that each
            independently have a level and ramp rate associated with them. As such
            the concept of dimming a scene doesn't sit naturally as members of the
            scene may be at different levels (even off).. Indeed on the trigger
            group a scene is triggered by that group being set to a specific
            level. That's not to say you can't use level changes on a group and
            apply them to a scene but it requires some interpretation. The
            normal/obvious one is that a scene at 50% level would set each member of
            the scene to 50% of the normal level that it would be on at normally.
            The ramp rates are normally maintained at the standard scene settings.
            Only some C-Bus devices can dim scenes.

            There's a problem though in that you said "HV do some clever stuff based
            on time of day, alarm state (eg night mode) etc etc." - which I take to
            mean that when you set specific levels eg level 128 that the scene
            behaves differently ie its not just a half brightness scene. ie really
            you're trying to use one button to be able to do upto 256 different
            things..... If so you couldn't use the C-Bus inbuilt dimmable scenes.

            One reason is that the results seen on C-Bus would not be inline with
            what C-Bus might be expecting - eg if it tried to set a scene at 50%
            brightness but you suceeded in modifying this then there are fairly
            sophisticated self reconciling aspects of C-Bus that might kick in and
            try and resolve/correct this. Actually I don't think they would but
            it's a possibility. Another possible problem is that as you started to
            traverse the dim level range - assuming you had a C-Bus implemented
            dimmable scene then it might provide realtime reaction yet you would
            only be using this to get to a specific level that actioned some other ,
            possibly totally unrelated change.
            > I really don't want to do it in a xAP app if possible - like you, I'd rather do anything concerned with lighting etc in hardware.

            There's a point at which certain levels of sophistication are really
            only achievable in software as the complexity in configuring the
            permutations mean it can't be accomodated nicely in the limited hardware
            environment. In a software app you effectively have infinite storage
            resource and a great UI for configuration plus a near unlimited
            scripting environment.

            One thing you could perhaps do is have a member of the scene that was
            virtual and set to the scene level - and then maybe a later member that
            toggled or pulsed (somehow) then when the later member toggled the
            earlier member would already be set to the new level. From HV the
            actions would be triggered and you could do whatever you wanted based on
            testing the virtuals level.

            Also C-Bus relays can have threshold on/off levels set so you could have
            a number of these configured that actually did turn on/off as the level
            moved between different values in the range 0-255.
            > Re the slower level changes etc - I don't (think!) I'm at all interested in changing a scene from a CB group level change that hasn't originated from a DLT or other switch input. At least, I've not thought of a situation yet where that would be useful. In my example, I'd just want to very occasionally set the CB group level on the DLT and have HV set all the actual light levels and do some other stuff.

            In a way you would be able to do this currently via xAP but not sure
            about HV though. The reason is that xAP interprets level and state
            (on/off) independently and so a device could be OFF at level 123 or
            indeed ON at level 0. So if the DLT toggled on/off a group the current
            level would be retained and the on/off macro would fire and the level ,
            as set on DLT, could be used in the macro for testing (maybe). However
            IIRC HV custom lighting always treats OFF as level 0 ...

            I'll investigate a bit... Itmay be possible to somehow inform you of a
            level change in a group in a way that triggered a macro. Maybe I could
            have a specifically named macro 'xLevelChange' that ran whenever a level
            changed and I could prefill a named HV variable 'xGroupNumber'with the
            number of the group that had changed. Coincident level changes would
            cause issues though, and would certainly delay HV reactions. Is this an
            acceptable compromise (HV reacting slower ?)
            > Now, thinking about it, obviously HV won't give me real-time feedback, so maybe this wouldn't be as useable as a CB dimmable scene? I guess most users would expect instant feedback on a dimmer?

            Absolutely - and it creates other issues - in that when things don't
            respond instantly users tend to press again, and again and you get a
            very frustrating result of things continually changing or looping in
            unexpected ways. Both the HV serial interface , and the C-Bus PCI are
            bottlenecks in both directions so I would try and stick with C-Bus
            dimmable scenes for any realtime feedback.

            > I guess another way to achieve a more basic version of this is to have a bell push key setup on the DLT and have HV cycle through several different combinations of levels in the scene.

            Possible... and you might be able to have some preloaded labels for
            each of those states to cycle through - if you were prepared to update
            them via xAP. Preloaded lables don't cause wear on the DLT's memory.

          • Paul Gale
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2009
              Thanks for the reply Kevin,

              I'm going to have to sit down and consider it carefully over the next few days.

              One question for now though - you mentioned HV possibly reacting slower with the possible CB group level reporting and macro triggering - any ideas what the worst case could be or is this dependent on how many groups change in a small period of time? I don't currently have much going on in HV each loop but not sure how much processor capacity is left?

              Paul.

              __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3733 (20090102) __________

              http://www.eset.com
            • Kevin Hawkins
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2009
                Yes The response time decrease will be directly proportional to the the
                number of levels that change..and is likely to be three to fourfold (see
                below) but would only be apparent if there was a trigger/response
                situation. Also bear in mind that a threefold increase on something
                very small is still small so it may be acceptable. Later changes would
                be delayed more than earlier ones ie if 5 levels (group1-5) changed then
                group 1 would trigger its responses much faster than level 3 which in
                turn would be faster then group 5.

                Re processing - then normally HV will be very lightly loaded so you
                won't be taxing it in that respect. However if you run anything 'every
                loop' then it can dramatically effect the performance. Inparticular if
                you change anything - eg a variable or flag and you have serial
                reporting enabled for this object type then you have dire results that
                get worse with the more of these types of objects you have in your
                schedules. Avoid this !

                This is because HV does not just report the one value that changed but
                all of the object values for this type - and has to do this over the
                slow serial interface(s) - every loop ! With a gateway and HVXL atatched
                it has to do this on two serial interfaces... If you had 100 variables
                and change one then 100 variables are reported twice - worse still which
                one(s) have changed are't identified so the gateway has to check each
                value independently against the last known value. Very laborious. If
                you do turn off reporting of a specific object type then this is avoided
                but the gateway can no longer track these and so that object type is not
                maintained on xAP. This may not be a worry to most users however. In
                general turn off the object reporting if you don't need it.

                Here's the nitty gritty, based on my experience in trying to add such a
                feature last time...... if anyones interested... ;-)

                At the moment I update each custom light in HV every time it changes on
                C-Bus. This takes one command, or two if an on/off action macro is
                required to be run. If I trigger a level chnage macro it will
                triple/double this as I have to populate the group number to a variable
                and then always run the 'level changed' macro. Of course if you didn't
                create such a macro then the gateway would know this and so this
                wouldn't impact existing users. HV will also report a macro running as
                an event out its serial interface. So at best it would halve the speed
                of respone and more likley reduce it by two thirds. What this actually
                means in practice is less defineable as doubling something that is near
                instant doesn't impact too much.

                . A lot is also to do with what happens in your macros as obviously
                these take time to run. Currently the response time assuming no macro
                runs is pretty fast - let's guess it as 1/10th second roundtrip which is
                not too far out , this covers forming the message within the gateway,
                sending it on the serial interface (the slow bit), actioning it in HV,
                sending the acknowledge back to the gateway (slowish) ..so it would drop
                to 300ms.

                Now (worst case ish) let's assume a macro takes 100ms to run and 5
                groups change level. There isn't an on/off action for any group
                involved but there is the level change and variable update for every
                group of course. So the time for all groups to be actioned would be
                500ms normally and 2000ms (two seconds) ie a x 4 increase. Note this
                time only impacts the later groups really as each group is being updated
                along the timeline. Also unless your updating something , as a result
                of this then actually this time is of no concern as there isn't a
                trigger/reponse apparent.

                If in any of your macros you change a C-Bus group (which I'm guessing is
                the purpose) that will mean the serial commands to accomplish that have
                to be sent from HV to the gateway - and translated to the CB protocol
                and then moved on to the PCI and then from the PCI to C-Bus . There is
                the added complication that should these result in a group level change,
                as they likley will, should this then be reported back to the
                'LevelChange' macro and it be retriggered ? (HV doesn't do this on
                state changes for actions so I think the answer is no, which is also the
                easiest and safest in avoiding loops).

                Another nasty - Macros are not re-entrant - meaning that if one is
                running then the macro can't run again until the first one finishes .
                When I say can't I mean mustn't so the gateway will have to protect
                against that within the LevelChange macro by waiting for the macro to
                finish before the next level is transferred to to HV. I am not sure HV
                can even inform me when it finishes running a macro (cf starting) so you
                may have to send a serial command at the end of the LevelChange macro to
                let the gateway know..... - so you get the below sequence which is lots
                of steps with delays compared to the just send 5 custom light updates
                with acks to HV.

                [5 levels change]

                >> group 1 state and level transferred to HV
                << wait ack
                update level variable
                <<wait ack
                >> run LevelChange Macro
                << wait ack
                ..wait/check for macro complete
                <completed

                Then back to top for next group etc (loops 5 times)

                Once again something that seems easy has some ramifications that only
                become apparent when you try and implement it.

                I too will give this some more thought though...

              • Paul Gale
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 10, 2009
                  Kevin,

                  Thinking about the pre-loaded labels (or label variants as I think CB Toolkit calls them?) - does xAP and your gateway currently support real time switching between them? Toolkit only appears to give 4 variants per DLT button though - but maybe enough for some tasks. - and you were saying that variants are actually stored in the unit, hence not wearing out the storage?

                  Cheers,

                  Paul.

                  __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3756 (20090110) __________

                  http://www.eset.com