Area address changes don't propogate to individual groups instantly.

  • Kevin Hawkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2008
      It is possible to place output units eg dimmer packs in 'Areas' using
      C-Bus Toolkit. These areas effectively are a single C-Bus group address
      that can be used to control all the outputs on that physical unit as
      one. Often these are used to control a whole room as one group or (in
      my usage) as a quick way to ensure everything is turned off. This is a
      little used feature as scenes are far more flexible.

      I noticed last night when area addressing is used that the associated
      individual groups are not instantly reporting the changes via
      xAPBSC.events - although subsequent periodic xAPBSC.info's are correct.
      Thus two successive xAPBSC.info messages can present differring
      information which is not per BSC spec. It would follow that HV states
      were not being updated either.

      This is because C-Bus doesn't report the individual group change
      commands at the time so the gateway doesn't realise they have
      changed.. I need to see if there is a way around this. Perhaps I can
      determine that the group change is actually an 'area' and if so what the
      associated member groups are, however I'm not sure that is possible, or
      practical.
      What I do pickup shortly after is that the C-Bus MMI (the status and
      level syncs) disagree with my internal states and so I do then resolve
      any differences. A state discrepancy is very rapidly noticed (a couple
      of seconds) but level discrepencies can take much longer, upto 10 minutes.
      I'll have to look at this a little closer as I'm sure there's a way but
      in the meantime just be aware that changes made by any Area groups are
      not being reflected immediately in xAP or HomeVison. State changes
      (on>off or off>on) will be very quickly reported but level changes wont.
      I doubt many of you are using this feature though.