668Re: Fwd: Fw: [ukusa_gateway] Taken a few steps backwards!

  • Kevin Hawkins
    Dec 1, 2012
      From what you say it's pretty difficult to determine if your gateway was ever receiving C-Bus status information.    What I'm slightly concerned about is that the gateway can't even read the C-Bus RS232 PCI configuration - regardless of being able to receive C-Bus information..    and I worry now that the current update may lock out your licences.

      ISTR way back when you originally received the gateway you mentioned a similar issue and I created some newer firmware that improved the synch and that fixed it.  Did you update your gateway with those firmware builds and did it fix the issue for you then ?  I may be confusing this with someone else as we talked through C-Bus topology / burden issues and the latter would only be relevant if you were using a SIM (because Toolkit is working for you)..  Reagrdless it may be that a firmware update would fix this...

      Can you still do the exercise in letting me know if the gateway status page updates when you change something on C-Bus ..  You will need to use .Firefox or Chrome , not sure about Safari - might be OK.    IE doesn't work,as  it appends page updates.

      Where are you based - are you in the UK ?

       On 01/12/2012 13:20, Ben Wilkinson wrote:
      Hi Kevin,

      Thanks again for your reply.

      I'm out at the moment, but have answered most of your questions below.

      I assume you still have the D: CB ID status and also there is still  SIM ID = 0  shown ?

      >Yes, this was still the status this morning.

      Something has changed here because in this state there would be no communication from C-Bus at all , the gateway would not update HV so nothing in HV that depended on a C-Bus state change would have worked (which it was doing a  few days ago - or are you saying it wasn't ?).   Have you previously ever received status updates or triggered a macro in HV from C-Bus.

      > All I have used the gateway for until now is controlling Lights from HV.   That still works fine (ie I can obviously talk to CBus), including the new functionality of triggering scenes.  I haven't ever taken much notice of the status of the light screens, though have always had the feeling that it's not accurate.   I thought it was maintained in HV, so wasn't surprised.

      Have you physically moved the gateway at all in the last couple of days or re-configured C-Bus perhaps  - or loaded HV with some settings that mess up the custom lighting .. just before the issue started ?

      > No physical changes.   I have disconnected the Cbus PC interface a few times as I needed to programme it with toolit.

      Also - is the gateway visible on Ethernet (the xAP packets) ?

      > Not sure about this.  Haven't done this for a while but will try later.

       Does the C-Bus RS232 interface work OK from C-Bus Toolkit ?

      > Everything seems to work fine in programming CBus from the toolkit.

      Your connections to the gateway sound OK.   The warning within the instructions is to not plug C-Bus i.e. the pink cable into the right hand (often grey) socket unless you have the C-Bus SIM installed on the gateway and the appropriate jumper settings changed.  This is because the higher voltage used on C-Bus will destroy the RS232 serial interface chip on the gateway.  Actually creating very similar symptoms to what you're seeing .....

      Your firmware is slightly older than current versions although I think that the issue you're seeing is more fundamental.    I know later versions had improved C-Bus synchronisation and maybe this could cause a misleading stop on stage D: CB ID.  But I'm loathe to get you to update the firmware as that just creates another possible unknown.  The licences are validated against the SIM ID's and so you could disable your gateway features if you update as there is no SIM ID being recovered.  The SIM ID is checked before any C-Bus messages.

      You say  " It also doesn’t show the status of any of the groups correctly (or at least very many of them).   " - If you have a group displaying a state here and you change that group on C-Bus (not from HV)  does it change state on the status web page  ?

      >One the gateway web pages, for CBus it shows nearly all greyed out with occasional red dots.   Sometimes yellow.   They don't seem to be accurate at all and a bit random, but stays mostly greys.

      Virtual groups - i.e.  groups that HV changes will get updated on this status page by HV and not from the C-BUS status messages.   I'm trying to establish if any real groups, i.e. the ones present in C-Bus output units are getting updated on this page.   Were they updated previously OK ?

      >as far as I know, neither real (there are lots of them) or virtual are updated.

      Hope this helps a bit

      Ben

      01/12/2012 08:54, Ben Wilkinson wrote:

      Hi Kevin,

      I’ve done some physical checking this morning.   Wiring of the connector seems fine (checked with meter).   I’ve gone over the instructions again just to check everything physically is in the right place.   I’m plugging the HV into the LH socket (as you look at it) as per instructions.   The short CBus cable you made (for the CBus PCI) is plugged in the RH socket (grey).   I am a bit worried about the gateway instruction that says “ DO NOT PLUG C-BUS into this socket if you don’t have a SIM , the gateway or C-Bus could be damaged”

      As I don’t have a SIM, I wanted to be sure the RH socket is correct.   The previous line seems to say that I should plug it into this one.

      I doubt that I’ve changed the jumpers, but I thought I should check them also.   This is JP5 with 6 header possibilities.   From the RHS (with pin 1 on LHS), jumpers are at pins 2, 3 and 4, with the jumpers on the pairs of pins further away from the socket.   Is this correct?

      Ben