Re: Melatonin

  • Liz Main
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 29, 2002
      hi Caroline,

      I've used melatonin for jetlag in the past. But I've found it really
      hard to get the dose right! Too much and I felt completely drugged
      and strange, too little and nothing happened! I wish I could
      remember what dose did seem to work in the end. I remember when I
      bought some with ginseng in in Singapore that was the best of the
      bunch!

      I'm always a bit wary about cross matching natural stuff with the
      meds we get fed because the natural stuff tends to work on the
      actual building blocks of neurotransmitters and the meds on the
      receptors, so you can get a double whammy (see St Johns Wort and
      SSRIs!)

      You might be able to track down some info on melatonin at
      www.cassmd.com and look in the resources and links sections. She is
      a psychiatrist at UCLA and uses alternative remedies rather than
      meds wherever possible. There are loads of research links on her
      site.

      Now having slept off jetlag all day I'm going to go and take
      sleeping pills and benzos to try and sleep for what is left of the
      night! I know, I know.... but can't face jetlag!

      Hope it works out for you

      Liz

      --- In uksurvivors@y..., "Anneke Westra" <anneke.westra@v...> wrote:
      > Caroline – well done – glad about the 4 hrs – its something – my
      sleep
      > pattern has been peculiar for a long time. Recently it had turned
      itself
      > back to front !! and it took 3 or 4 weeks to get it back around
      again. Last
      > year I had a what's called ` mixed' time – up and down during the
      day and 3
      > hrs sleep only for 4 months. After chasing support the whole time
      and
      > fighting till I was blue in the face the medical establishment
      agreed to
      > giving me 10mg temazepam a night and a slept for 11 hours!!!! By
      then it was
      > too late and a depression hit me. This happened to me before. I am
      not
      > condoning benzodiazapines but it helps me most of the time. I have
      always
      > thought about trying out melatonin instead but haven't got around
      to it. I
      > remember Mark Roberts from GLAD said he used it – perhaps someone
      knows
      > where he is to ask?
      > Good luck with your GP
      > Love Anneke

      IncrediMail -
      > Email has finally evolved - Click Here
      > <http://www.incredimail.com/redir.asp?ad_id=309&lang=9>
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2460941.3878106.2273195/D=egroupweb/S=1
      7072090

      81:HM/A=810327/R=0/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>

      81:HM/A=810327/R=1/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>

      > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: uksurvivors-
      unsubscribe@e...

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
    • Caroline Grew
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 29, 2002
        Liz

        I'm so glad you have arrived in Oz.  Thanks for all your advice.  By the way the Ouch article was brilliant.  I will see how it goes (I got 4 hours sleep last night on the normal psych meds!) so I shall argue for temazepam and see if she'll concede - though I don't hold much hope.  She is so stubborn!  Enjoy your rest in Oz.

        Respect

        Caroline
      • Liz Main
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 29, 2002
          Thanks re Ouch. I hope you get the temazapam. It is ridiculous that
          there are so few sleeping drugs available in UK. Apparently the list
          is much longer here. There is a new one beginning with z (not
          zopiclone or zolpidem) with the brand name Sonata. It is supposed to
          be fab, although I have to say it did nothing at all for me - was
          awake all night when I took it some months ago. Zolpidem is best for
          me, but need to take it with a benzo or it doesn't work any more.
          Ridiculous!

          Good luck and hope you've slept tonight.

          Liz

          --- In uksurvivors@y..., "Caroline Grew" <c.k.grew@b...> wrote:
          > Liz
          >
          > I'm so glad you have arrived in Oz. Thanks for all your advice.
          By the way
          > the Ouch article was brilliant. I will see how it goes (I got 4
          hours sleep
          > last night on the normal psych meds!) so I shall argue for
          temazepam and see
          > if she'll concede - though I don't hold much hope. She is so
          stubborn!
          > Enjoy your rest in Oz.
          >
          > Respect
          >
          > Caroline
        • Claire
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 30, 2002
            HI Caroline

            Sorry I am a little delayed in replying to you. I haven't read the
            others replies to you either so sorry if I am repeating anything.

            I have recently read some research on how to boost your levels of
            melatonin. Things like wearing socks in bed - making sure your feet
            are warm helps you produce more melatonin. Also soaking your feet in
            warm water before bed!

            Have been trying to look for the srticle, I am sure it was in @New
            Scientist' but the web page isn't letting me in the archive tonight.
            I will continue to look though and send it to you if I find it.

            All the best, Claire. xxx
          • Caroline Grew
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 30, 2002

              Claire

              I love the idea of socks in bed, although it's not quite cold enough for it, but I will try them tonight to see if it helps!

              Thanks for the tips.

              Best wishes
              Caz