Re: [ukpbm] Pieces of Eight etc

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2001
      03/11/2001 06:38:08, John and Denny Colledge <dunorroch@...> wrote:

      >Someone mentioned that we should contact Uni games clubs. I suggested
      >this some time ago but nobody took me up on it. There is a site that
      >lists all Unis and Colleges in the country (several hundred) and within
      >a number of those are details of any games clubs. A simple e-mail to
      >those sites might be worth trying again. I actually wrote to about a
      >dozen myself last year, giving the usual details and even gave my own
      >address, but nobody came back to me. I suspect nobody contacted John H
      >for MfG either?

      If someone can point me to this site wot lists all the Unis then I shall endeavour to send them some literature.

      I don't recall getting any feedback as a result of the shop flyers but you never know, punters very rarely reveal where
      they heard about the hobby.

      >I do feel quite stongly that if the hobby is not to wither and die, we
      >need young blood and the traditional place to get that has always been
      >within the seats of learning. Of course, as has been pointed out many
      >times before, we are up against the quick fix that computer games give
      >so it is always going to be an uphill struggle. It is also possible that
      >I put myself accross as being a bit of a BOF but I did run my original
      >e-mail past, I think it was Nick and Chris? Anyway, I feel it would be
      >worth trying again. It is time consuming but if you had half a dozen
      >people taking a share each it wouldn't be too difficult. Given that
      >there is a new MfG on the go, now would appear to be the time to do it
      >as well. Are we still offering the mixture of zines and a copy of MfG
      >for the price of 4 first class stamps?

      There was actually a few young 'uns at MidCon this year, mostly from Ireland, judging by their accents. They won both
      bloody quizes as well, I think!

      I agree, however, that university wallahs should prove about as fertile a recruitment pool as we are likely to find among
      the younger generation. I can send them a PDF copy of Mission From God which will save us a fortune in time and
      money. I'll try and sound as fab and groovy as possible so as to avoid appearing a boring old fart.

      In the meantime Mission From God and all the other gubbins is still available for a mere 4 first class stamps. There is a
      quarter page advert for the new issue of MfG due to go in the next copy of Flagship, the PBM magazine. We are also
      getting a page per issue to cover postal gaming zines. Most of us on this list have been editors at some time and know
      how difficult it is to get contributions from readers and I get the impression that Flagship would not look askance at some
      articles on the zine scene. I myself am considering doing a series of articles featuring the standard games of zines,
      namely RR, United, Breaking Away, Sopwith, 18xx, Outpost and so on. If someone more knowledgeable about these
      games would like to chip in with an article get in touch with me so we can sort it out.

      >I would be interested to hear from John H just what sort of feedback we
      >got from the letters we sent to games shops last year? I have to say, I

      See above. So far as I know, none at all, but as mentioned it is sometimes difficult to tell.

      >was a bit disappointed that more shops didn't offer to help. Some were
      >brilliant, in that they were even prepared to set aside a section of
      >their shop dedicated to the Postal Games Hobby, but they were few and
      >far between. There were something like 10,000 leaflets sent. How many
      >new members did we get as a result of all that effort? Perhaps it would
      >be better to spend the money on a slightly more professional leaflet and
      >do it directly through the games boxes. It would be good if Allan
      >Gordon's cartoon could still be used as it summed up the Posta Games
      >Hobby to a tee.

      Getting the flyers in boxes of Diplomacy, Railway Rivals and Total Football (aka United) is a must. They already go in
      Breaking Away but I don't sell enough copies to make a difference.

      John

      Fiendish Board Games - makers of games in the German style.
      Breaking Away, Office Politics and Traffic Lights.
      http://www.fbgames.co.uk
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 8, 2001
        In message <03b8803000308b1PCOW035M@...>, John Harrington
        <johnh@...> writes

        [snip]

        >I'll try and sound as fab and groovy as possible so as to avoid appearing
        >a boring old fart.

        Er, then we might be a bit too late now, John - isn't it 'pukka' and
        'cool' now, dude? :-)

        http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk/dip2000
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 10, 2001
          08/11/2001 11:20:12, Tom Tweedy <tom@...> wrote:

          >In message <03b8803000308b1PCOW035M@...>, John Harrington
          ><johnh@...> writes
          >
          >[snip]
          >
          >>I'll try and sound as fab and groovy as possible so as to avoid appearing
          >>a boring old fart.
          >
          >Er, then we might be a bit too late now, John - isn't it 'pukka' and
          >'cool' now, dude? :-)
          >
          >Tom

          My nephews were saying "pukka" about 6 years ago so that one has probably died a death by now. "Cool" seems to
          go on forever though. My kids think their generation invented the use of it, and are somewhat surprised to find out it
          was being used over 80 years ago, daddio. The latest buzzword is probably some Ali G inspired nonsense.

          Who knows, maybe "fab" and "groovy" will come back in, but if Austin Powers could nto inspire a revival, nothing
          could.

          John
          Fiendish Board Games - makers of games in the German style.
          Breaking Away, Office Politics and Traffic Lights.
          http://www.fbgames.co.uk
        • Bruce Edwards
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 11, 2001
            Not that I'm that young, but my children inform me that the current words in general usage are - 'wicked' and 'lush'.

            Make what you will out of that!

            B.