Mark Boyle and Mango #27

  • Alex Bardy (mango)
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2001
      30th October 2001

      Evening all!

      Hey, I wasn't trying to 'kick anything off' y'know? - I've read enough unsubstantiated rubbish from Mark to take everything he says with a pinch of salt. Indeed, I remember him giving me a right slagging off in Pick of the Bunch - it would seem that since I co-edited a FRP zine called Dark Elf, and then went onto bigger and better things with Cerebretron (an SF and SFRPG zine), and even started a postal gaming zine called EH?, that I wasn't 'fit' to be an editor because I'd folded these zines and obviously couldn't stick with only one - pity Mr Agar then if Mark 'rates' other editors in these terms!!
      Believe me, I've never met the guy in my life, have no idea who he is, and dunno what he may or may not be 'known' for in the hobby (being a jerk?). I got a bit defensive once because he said I had "a romantic attachment to the concept of hobby feuds", and I asked if he could expand on this. He chose to slag me off for being a crap editor, folding old zines, etc. etc. - and I've never heard from him since. Good riddance to bad rubbish, no?
      Anyway, if either Ryk or Stephen would like me to my copy onto them, I'd be more than happy to do so - Mango #27 is finished and will be posted out later this week, so if you want me to include Pick of the Bunch #78 in there, just ask!
      While we're in plugging mode - Mango #27 is 44 A5 pages, has the rules for a couple of games in it, NINE pages of stuff nicked from recent ukpbm discussions, and a copy of the latest Waiting List Update. Jeez, I spoil you guys...

      All the best!

      Alex Bardy.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2001
        In message <001401c1618d$3a71bce0$507101d5@alex>, "Alex Bardy (mango)"
        <alex@...> writes
        >30th October 2001
        >
        >Evening all!
        >
        > Hey, I wasn't trying to 'kick anything off' y'know? - I've read
        >enough unsubstantiated rubbish from Mark to take everything he says
        >with a pinch of salt. Indeed, I remember him giving me a right slagging
        >off in Pick of the Bunch - it would seem that since I co-edited a FRP
        >zine called Dark Elf, and then went onto bigger and better things with
        >Cerebretron (an SF and SFRPG zine), and even started a postal gaming
        >zine called EH?, that I wasn't 'fit' to be an editor because I'd folded
        >zines and obviously couldn't stick with only one - pity Mr Agar then if
        >Mark 'rates' other editors in these terms!!
        > Believe me, I've never met the guy in my life, have no idea who he
        >is, and dunno what he may or may not be 'known' for in the hobby (being
        >a jerk?). I got a bit defensive once because he said I had "a romantic
        >attachment to the concept of hobby feuds", and I asked if he could
        >expand on this. He chose to slag me off for being a crap editor,
        >folding old zines, etc. etc. - and I've never heard from him since.
        >Good riddance to bad rubbish, no?
        > Anyway, if either Ryk or Stephen would like me to my copy onto
        >them, I'd be more than happy to do so - Mango #27 is finished and will
        >be posted out later this week, so if you want me to include Pick of
        >the Bunch #78 in there, just ask!

        I'm always willing to receive copies of Pick of the Bunch to put in the
        Zine Archive (from any source) as Mark won't trade with me or let me
        subscribe.

        http://www.diplomacy-archive.com
      • Ben Goodale
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2001
          Believe it or not Mark Boyle was at Glasgow Uni when I was there in the late eighties/early nineties. In fact, he might have even been doing the same course, or some of the classes. Can't say I spent a lot of time with him, he's pretty intense. I think the hobby is a very important part of his life. I've met a lot of other people through the hobby that I'd rather share a pint and a packet of scratchings with.

          Really Alex, you mustn't let anyone criticise Eh ? It was rather a good wheeze as I recall. Anyway, I've started and folded three zines so by that criteria I must also be unfit to be a zine editor. I'll just go and dust my "best zine" award now.

        • fiendish@operamail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 2001
            --- In ukpbm@y..., Stephen Agar <stephen@m...> wrote:

            > I'm always willing to receive copies of Pick of the Bunch to put in
            the
            > Zine Archive (from any source) as Mark won't trade with me or let
            me
            > subscribe.
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > --
            > Stephen Agar, Brighton, UK
            > http://www.diplomacy-archive.com

            I did have some copies of Pick of the Bunch in the Zine Bank but then
            Mark rang up out of the blue and asked me to send them back. It was
            a very terse phone call in contrast to the 40 minute rants he used to
            inflict on me and he has, thankfully, not contacted me since, so I
            must have done something to upset him. I wish I knew what it was so
            I can do it again should he ever start to ring me once more. I think
            it was something to do with my behaviour at the Flagship PBM con.
            Either we were giving away copies of Pick of the Bunch or we were
            charging for them, but whichever way round it was, it upset Mark.

            So far as I recall, the only thing we sold at the PBMCon was Mission
            From God - all other zines were given away as per the raison d'etre
            of the Zine Bank, so I don't know what Mark's problem was. He wasn't
            actually at the Con so he must have got his information second-hand
            and based his reaction on that.

            He used to be a member of this list and for all I know he could still
            be lurking here under an alias. I always enjoyed his zine and even
            his phone calls were entertaining, if overlong, but his "worldview"
            was a somewhat warped version of the famous Groucho Marx comment: "I
            don't want to belong to any club that has anyone but me as a member".

            Plus, his inability to publish regularly meant he should have dropped
            the games (IMHO) from his zine and concentrated on the music and the
            ranting.

            I try not to exclude anyone who wishes to consider themselves part of
            the hobby (hence my polite refusal to tell Mark to get off the phone
            when he used to call me) and will continue to list Pick of the Bunch
            (with suitable caveats) in Mission From God until confirmation of its
            demise is received.

            I suppose I should check if it is OK for Alex's original comments
            about PotB to be included as a review in MfG? I'll insert
            an "allegedly" in front of the Zine Poll fixing claim, although I
            think Alex's use of inverted commas on the word "fixing" indicates
            that the claim is unsubstantiated.

            By the way, Armistice Day and Mango are vying for "most reviews of
            one zine" in the new issue of MfG. It's interesting how many
            reviewers have commented on Alex's views on "sponging refugees" -
            makes him sound a bit like a Sun columnist.

            Johnny H.