Re: Another from John

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 11, 1999
      In message <199903111014.KAA15371@...>, Wightman,
      Mark, WIGHTMM <mark.wightman@...> writes
      >From: "Wightman, Mark, WIGHTMM" <mark.wightman@...>
      >
      >John has asked me to post the following for him.
      >
      >Subject: Adverts in wargaming magazines
      > Date:
      > Wed, 10 Mar 1999 21:26:36 +0100
      > From:
      > John and Denny Colledge <dunorroch@...>
      > To:
      > Hobby Revival <ukpbm@onelist.com>
      >

      >Hi folks! In the vague hope that ONElist's Help Desk might actually have
      >helped, I shall try to send this via them. If it fails, I hope you won't
      >mind if I ask one of you to pass it on.
      >
      >I was speaking to a chap at work the other day who is keen on war
      >gaming, but of the model soldiers variety. He very kindly offered to
      >bring in three of the magazines he regularly receives and I have taken a
      >note of the details for adverts. I am sure one of these has been
      >mentioned before, (by Stephen?) but I don't know how long ago he placed
      >the advert.

      These are the magazines I would have placed adverts in first, if I was
      going to be involved in such things. From past experience it is
      necessary to stress the inexpensive bit, as many think of PBM =
      expensive. In my old Ad. I used to say "from �1 per month"

      www.diplomacy.co.uk
    • Chris M. Dickson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 12, 1999
        In message <199903111014.KAA15371@...>, Wightman,
        Mark, WIGHTMM <mark.wightman@...> passes on JC's message:
        >Off the top of my head here is an advert of about 40 words.
        >
        > POSTAL GAMES HOBBY
        >
        > 18XX, Acquire, Diplomacy, Railway Rivals,
        > Soccer League and many more games
        > are played by post in 60+ amateur zines.
        > For an introductory pack send a
        > cheque/PO for ? to John H. at

        Like it a lot, but I think we can do better still. How's about:

        Make new gaming friends! Play Diplomacy, Acquire, Railway Rivals and
        many more by post in 60+ zines from 75p a month. For an introductory
        pack, send four first class stamps to John Harrington, 1 Churchbury
        Close, ENFIELD EN1 3UW.

        39 words - counting (door number) 1 and 75p as one each and the postcode
        as two words. I think it's better because it gets the friendship aspect
        across and 75p (plucked out of the air but not unreasonable; e.g. the
        price of PiMS is 60p inc. P&P) sounds a lot cheaper than one pound. It
        means it gets people thinking in terms of pence and not pounds - and the
        fact that there's two digits in the price means that the second digit is
        important, further reinforcing the fact that we're talking about fairly
        low numbers of pence here. I think people would be a lot happier to send
        a number of stamps off for an intro pack than to go to the trouble of a
        cheque/PO as well; it looks much less monetary, somehow.

        I think that the "Make new gaming friends!" introduction is important,
        too, because the hobby is essentially based around friendship and gaming
        is still such a minority hobby that many gamers will want/need to meet
        more gaming friends. For what it's worth, I do generally regard other
        postal hobby members as friends, though many of them aren't very close
        friends yet. They probably will be, sooner or later, though. Granted, I
        don't agree with all of them (and this means you!) all the time, but
        people can disagree without being disagreeable. Furthermore, I don't let
        the fact that I don't trust all of them (you) get in the way, either.

        Downside: the phrase "amateur postal hobby" isn't mentioned anywhere. Or
        is that really a downside?

        Probably not a perfect ad yet (for instance, my suggestions on "what
        looks cheap" are based on innate cod psychology as opposed to any sort
        of hard fact whatsoever) but I hope it's taken as a constructive
        suggestion and gets us closer to the mark.

        Have a good weekend!
        Chris

        --
        Chris M. Dickson, Middlesbrough, Great Britain; chris@...
        Thinker, Creator, Gamer, Observer, Writer, Organiser, Dreamer, Carer, Fan
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 13, 1999
          In message <qi11yCAMZT62Ewmo@...>, Chris M. Dickson
          <chris@...> writes
          >From: "Chris M. Dickson" <chris@...>
          >
          >In message <199903111014.KAA15371@...>, Wightman,
          >Mark, WIGHTMM <mark.wightman@...> passes on JC's message:
          >>Off the top of my head here is an advert of about 40 words.
          >>
          >> POSTAL GAMES HOBBY
          >>
          >> 18XX, Acquire, Diplomacy, Railway Rivals,
          >> Soccer League and many more games
          >> are played by post in 60+ amateur zines.
          >> For an introductory pack send a
          >> cheque/PO for ? to John H. at
          >
          >Like it a lot, but I think we can do better still. How's about:
          >

          >Make new gaming friends! Play Diplomacy, Acquire, Railway Rivals and
          >many more by post in 60+ zines from 75p a month. For an introductory
          >pack, send four first class stamps to John Harrington, 1 Churchbury
          >Close, ENFIELD EN1 3UW.

          Will the world at large know what a "zine" is?

          How about "amateur magazines"

          www.diplomacy.co.uk
        • Bishop, Howard N
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14, 1999
            Hi,

            I managed to stumble across your mailing list by accident (uk.games.board)
            and have been reading the posts for about a week now. As a lapsed gamer, I
            really wish you luck. I think you're chasing a diminishing market, although
            there are probably a lot of gamers in their 30's who are now married with
            kids who don't get the opportunity to play F2F very often and would jump at
            the chance of PBM or PBEM. Perhaps you ought to target non-games-based
            publications as well. The internet might also be a good place to advertise.

            As for your current advert, my estimate is that people who don't know about
            zines won't know what the hell 18XX is either.

            Good luck.

            Howard

            p.s. You already have one convert, I'll be sending for my introductory pack
            today!!!