Shall We Delete This List?

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
      As the list owner I was wondering whether the time hasn't come to put
      this list to bed?

      Discussion is at a minimum and the pbm hobby has almost completely
      migrated to the Internet.

      Any views?

      http://www.diplomacy-archive.com
    • Ben Goodale
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
        Well I suppose the question is - is it serving a purpose ? Trying to retain a paper based postal gaming fraternity is perhaps now a luddite thing.

        However, as I just joined and haven't done anything in fandom for about 10 years I guess I'm not the best person to express an opinion!

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
          In message <012701c102e3$c880cac0$4ca1a7cb@gateway>, Ben Goodale
          <ben_goodale@...> writes
          >Well I suppose the question is - is it serving a purpose ? Trying to
          >retain a paper based postal gaming fraternity is perhaps now a luddite
          >thing.
          >
          >However, as I just joined and haven't done anything in fandom for about
          >10 years I guess I'm not the best person to express an opinion!

          Tell you what if we get 5 people saying - beyond doubt - that we should
          keep this list open in the next 72 hours (and they promise to contribute
          in future) then we'll keep it open. Otherwise I'll kill it on Friday.

          http://www.diplomacy-archive.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 3, 2001
            In message <S0pWgzAcZPQ7EwEe@...>, Stephen Agar
            <stephen@...> writes

            >Tell you what if we get 5 people saying - beyond doubt - that we should
            >keep this list open in the next 72 hours (and they promise to contribute
            >in future) then we'll keep it open. Otherwise I'll kill it on Friday.

            I always read the messages that come up here, Steve, but never get to
            contribute because I don't have much connection with the postal hobby as
            such. Yes, I get 4 or 5 PBM zines, but I don't play games in them.

            Oops, I've contributed now haven't I... :-)

            Diplomacy 2000: http://www.dip2000.org.uk
          • Mark Stretch
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 3, 2001
              Useful for hobby news details of new zines etc in my opinion.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 6, 2001
                Keep the list!

                So what if it isn't heavily used - it's still a useful tool to enable
                APBMers to give information of interest to all, and to ask questions or
                instigate discussions pertinent to the community in general.

                As for the "internet migration" comment, one should bear in mind that many
                people still insist on a printed zine (for example quite a few whinged that
                the excellent Psycopath was electronic only - personally I don't care as
                long as zines remain zines as we know and love them - put together as
                "little magazines" with the "personal touch").

                Richard

                P.S. I just remembered I was going to ask about Mission From God. What's the
                latest ETA? Are more reviews needed?

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 17, 2001
                  07/07/2001 00:10:10, "Richard Smith" <richard@...> wrote:

                  >P.S. I just remembered I was going to ask about Mission From God. What's the
                  >latest ETA? Are more reviews needed?

                  What do you mean "more" reviews? "Some" reviews would be nice.

                  I'm going to twist some arms at ManorCon to get some reviews.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 17, 2001
                    In message <0d7984719091171PCOW029M@...>, John Harrington
                    <johnh@...> writes
                    >07/07/2001 00:10:10, "Richard Smith" <richard@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >>P.S. I just remembered I was going to ask about Mission From God. What's the
                    >>latest ETA? Are more reviews needed?
                    >>

                    >What do you mean "more" reviews? "Some" reviews would be nice.

                    Feel free to use recent reviews from Armistice Day.

                    http://www.diplomacy-archive.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 18, 2001
                      18/07/2001 00:41:37, Stephen Agar <stephen@...> wrote:

                      >In message <0d7984719091171PCOW029M@...>, John Harrington
                      ><johnh@...> writes
                      >
                      >Feel free to use recent reviews from Armistice Day.

                      Steve,

                      Many thanks. I presume they are on a web site somewhere. I suppose I could look for it on Google but I am lazy.

                      Will you be at ManorCon? Will I be able to pick up a sample copy of Armistice Day there for the Zine Bank?

                      Who else is going to ManorCon?

                      Fiendish Board Games - makers of games in the German style.
                      Breaking Away, Office Politics and Traffic Lights.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 19, 2001

                        I thought you were on my mailing list? If not - sorry about that, I will
                        send you the back issues.

                        Stephen