Re: [ukpbm] Mission From God

  • Rob Thomasson
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 12, 2001
      Familiar set of details ... but (shock horror) a new game type is running

      > Name of zine
      Minstrel

      > Name of editor
      Rob Thomasson

      > Issue number of most recent issue
      233

      > Format (usually A4 corner-stapled, A5 booklet or Takeaway menu style)
      A4 corner-stapled

      > Frequency of publication (intended and/or actual - please specify)
      Monthly

      8

      50p including postage (also available at http://rob.thomasson.com)

      > Games being run and number of each
      1829 (2), 1830 (2), 1835 (1), 1856 (3), Outpost (2), Railway Rivals (1)

      > Games on waiting list
      1829, 1830, 1835, 1856, Outpost, Railway Rivals

      Address
      205 Tolcarne Drive
      Pinner
      Middlesex HA5 2DN
      rob@...
    • Rob Thomasson
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 12, 2001
        Whoops ... apologies for recent group posting meant for just John the H.

        But if you fancy 18xx then drop me a line ...
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 8, 2001
          The hobby is not dead, it just smells funny. There are plenty of you
          out there still publishing zines in one form or another and it is my
          task to catalogue all the world's postal gaming zines in Mission From
          God. To this end I could do with a bit of help.
          Most importantly, if you are editing a zine I'd like you to provide me
          with the following information:

          Name of zine
          Name of editor
          Postal address (not required if your zine is electronic only)
          E-mail address (if applicable)
          Web site URL (if applicable)
          Issue number of most recent issue
          Format (e.g. A4, A5, letter, corner-stapled, booklet, pdf)
          Number of pages in a typical issue
          Frequency of publication
          Cost (specify whether it includes postage or not)
          Games being run (and number of each)
          Games on waiting list

          If you would like to peruse the following list of zines and let me know
          of any which you know have folded, and also if there are any I have
          missed. (In some cases I've listed the editor because I don't know the
          name of their zine).
          Absolute
          Abyssinian Prince
          Are You Blind Ref?
          Armistice Day
          Astradyne
          Back To The Dark Ages
          Backstabbers United Monthly
          Beppiland
          Bloodstock
          Blut und Eisen
          Borealis
          Boris the Spider
          Brendan Mooney
          Canadian Diplomat
          Costaguana
          Cunning Plan
          Cut & Thrust
          Daily Stun League
          Dangerous Liaisons
          Devolution
          Diplomat
          Dolchstoss
          Final Whistle
          Flagship
          Flights Of Fancy
          For Whom The Dice Rolls
          Gentle Art Of Making Enemies
          Graustark
          Greatest Hits
          Hopscotch
          Interzine
          Jack Duckworth's Alternative Universe
          Mach Die Spuhl!
          Making Love In A Canoe
          Minstrel
          Obsidian
          Obsidian
          Ode
          off the shelf
          PBMEMSIS
          Phil Reynolds
          Pick Of The Bunch
          Pigbutton
          Premier League
          Queens Lane Advertiser
          Rangers & Rovers
          S.O.B.
          Scott Morris
          Serendipity
          Shot Happens
          SMEG
          Sprouts Of Wrath
          Strangitude
          Striker
          Sun King
          Tactful Assassin
          Tangerine Terror
          Thing
          To Win Just Once
          Top Of The League
          Triumvirat
          Underneath The Mango Tree
          Variable Pig
          Vertigo
          Western Front
          Where Is My Mind
          White Cat
          Yellow Pajamas

          Finally, if you'd like to pen a short review of any zine you regularly
          see and send it to me, I'd be much obliged. All I can offer in return
          is a free copy of Mission From God which, for those of you who have
          never seen it, is the directory of UK (plus some overseas) postal gaming
          zines.
          Thanks very much for your assistance. If you can get the information to
          me by September 21st (or earlier) I should be much obliged.

          Thanks,

          _____________________________________
          John Harrington
          Fiendish Board Games - makers of Breaking Away, Office Politics and Traffic
          Lights

          New Improved URL: www.fbgames.co.uk
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 15, 2001
            Mission From God went in the post (second class) today to all zine editors with whom I trade and to all who contributed
            reviews (other than those who got their copies at MidCon). If I've missed anybody out, let me know.

            Attempts to "print to PDF" have so far proved unsuccessful but if I manage it then I'll happily e-mail anyone a PDF
            version of the zine.

            If anyone is old fashioned enough to want a hard copy of the zine then send me a quid (John Harrington, 1 Churchbury
            Close, Enfield, Middlesex, EN1 3UW). Which has just reminded me that there are some people out there who actually
            have subs to the mag (a hangover from the days when it was meant to be quarterly!). I'll send these good people their
            copies next Monday.

            I'll be distributing free copies of Mission From God to Playing Games and Leisure Games for hobby promotion purposes
            and I'll also take along a batch to Dragonmeet (www.dragonmeet.com).

            TTFN,

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 15, 2001

              If you email me the Word file (or whatever t is), I'll convert it to PDF for
              you.

              Regards

              Stephen Agar
              Brighton, UK

              > Mission From God went in the post (second class) today to all zine editors
              with whom I trade and to all who contributed
              > reviews (other than those who got their copies at MidCon). If I've missed
              anybody out, let me know.

              > Attempts to "print to PDF" have so far proved unsuccessful but if I manage
              it then I'll happily e-mail anyone a PDF
              > version of the zine.
              >
              > If anyone is old fashioned enough to want a hard copy of the zine then
              send me a quid (John Harrington, 1 Churchbury
              > Close, Enfield, Middlesex, EN1 3UW). Which has just reminded me that
              there are some people out there who actually
              > have subs to the mag (a hangover from the days when it was meant to be
              quarterly!). I'll send these good people their
              > copies next Monday.
              >
              > I'll be distributing free copies of Mission From God to Playing Games and
              Leisure Games for hobby promotion purposes
              > and I'll also take along a batch to Dragonmeet (www.dragonmeet.com).
              >
              > TTFN,
              >

              > John

            • Mike Dean
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 16, 2001
                John - when you have the .pdf, or if you put the information up on
                the web - let me know and I'll gladly set up a link from psychopath
                to it (or if you want somewhere for the .pdf I have webspace which
                can be used to store it). I can also direct the zineregister name to
                it also. Cheers - Mike

                --- In ukpbm@y..., "Stephen Agar" <stephen@m...> wrote:
                > John
                >
                > If you email me the Word file (or whatever t is), I'll convert it
                to PDF for
                > you.
                >
                > Regards
                >

                > Stephen Agar
                > Brighton, UK

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Ben Goodale
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 16, 2001
                  I'd love a PDF once you've cracked it.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 18, 2001
                    16/11/2001 19:31:33, "Ben Goodale" <ben_goodale@...> wrote:

                    >I'd love a PDF once you've cracked it.

                    WordPerfect seems to have done the conversion this time. I've zipped it up - it's still 1.2mb - and put it on
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ukpbm/files/

                    John

                    Fiendish Board Games - makers of games in the German style.
                    Breaking Away, Office Politics and Traffic Lights.
                    http://www.fbgames.co.uk
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 18, 2001
                      16/11/2001 13:19:01, "Mike Dean" <mike.dean@...> wrote:

                      >John - when you have the .pdf, or if you put the information up on
                      >the web - let me know and I'll gladly set up a link from psychopath
                      >to it (or if you want somewhere for the .pdf I have webspace which
                      >can be used to store it). I can also direct the zineregister name to
                      >it also. Cheers - Mike

                      Mike,

                      Please link to http://www.fbgames.co.uk/words/mfg/mfg22.zip

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 19, 2001
                        > >John - when you have the .pdf, or if you put the information up on
                        > >the web - let me know and I'll gladly set up a link from psychopath
                        > >to it (or if you want somewhere for the .pdf I have webspace which
                        > >can be used to store it). I can also direct the zineregister name to
                        > >it also. Cheers - Mike
                        >
                        > Mike,
                        >
                        > Please link to http://www.fbgames.co.uk/words/mfg/mfg22.zip
                        >
                        > Thanks.
                        >

                        > John

                        Chaps

                        Linking a domain name to a zip file is a very bad idea indeed. Many people
                        will just abort. Link it to a htm page from where you can download the zip
                        file, surely.

                        Regards

                        Stephen Agar
                        Brighton, UK
                      • Mike Dean
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 19, 2001
                          I agree Steve - much better idea!

                          > > >John - when you have the .pdf, or if you put the information up
                          on
                          > > >the web - let me know and I'll gladly set up a link from
                          psychopath
                          > > >to it (or if you want somewhere for the .pdf I have webspace
                          which
                          > > >can be used to store it). I can also direct the zineregister
                          name to
                          > > >it also. Cheers - Mike
                          > >
                          > > Mike,
                          > >
                          > > Please link to http://www.fbgames.co.uk/words/mfg/mfg22.zip
                          > >
                          > > Thanks.
                          > >

                          > > John
                          > >

                          > Chaps
                          >
                          > Linking a domain name to a zip file is a very bad idea indeed. Many
                          people
                          > will just abort. Link it to a htm page from where you can download
                          the zip
                          > file, surely.
                          >
                          > Regards
                          >

                          > Stephen Agar
                          > Brighton, UK
                        • fiendishgames
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 12, 2002
                            Well b*gger me sideways with a barbed implement, I was only musing on
                            the way to work this morning that I had better send out the annual
                            call for contributions to Mission From God when what should I see
                            when I get into work but an official pronouncement from Steve (again)
                            that the hobby is dead.

                            Well, maybe it is, in the same way that the Commodore 64 is dead, or
                            it's no longer active in the way that the Inspiral Carpets are no
                            longer active, but whilst enthusiasts remain for the C64, the
                            Inspiral Carpets and zines then lists like this can poodle on.

                            I take Steve's point that the lack of activity on the list does give
                            the indication that the zine based hobby is moribund and therefore
                            might be doing more harm than good. (As an aside, I can inform Steve
                            that games conventions which grew out of the postal hobby are going
                            from strength to strength; when I joined the hobby circa 82 there was
                            only really ManorCon and Midcon, now we have RamsdenCon, BayCon,
                            OxCon, StabCon, MasterCon, 18xx Jubilee, TowerCon, Beer & Pretzels
                            and all are well attended.)

                            If we want to increase activity on this board may I suggest the
                            following?

                            1) Slate Mark Boyle off every so often. He really is an aggressively
                            entertaining writer, always worth reading. This is a somewhat
                            tongue in cheek comment.

                            2) As group owner (Stephen donated it to me) I get informed every
                            time someone joins or leaves the group. I should really send each
                            new subscriber a "welcome" e-mail explaining what we are all about.
                            Anyone want to make any suggestions as to what should be included in
                            the welcome message.

                            3) New subscribers should be encouraged to do one of those cheesy
                            "Hi, my name is Cliff and I'm into wargaming and knitting. I've just
                            finished knitting 320 new miniature soldiers with full authentic
                            uniforms from the English Civil War" type things when they join.

                            4) Use the list in much the same way as letter columns are used. In
                            other words, just because we are a games based hobby that does not
                            preclude us from talking bollocks about other things too. If it
                            would help I could try and do a bi-monthly "round the zines" type
                            feature on this page to see whether I can rattle anyone's cage.

                            On the subject of reinvigorating the "revive the hobby" campaign I
                            must confess to lacking the will to do so. We gave it a shot and had
                            some success but despite a lot of effort put in by the likes of John
                            Colledge and Alex Bardy it was a bit of a hit and miss affair; as soon
                            as real life intervened for the movers & shakers of the "campaign"
                            then the whole thing ground to a halt.

                            It may sound like I am throwing in the towel but personally I don't
                            think the hobby is in that bad a shape. Let's face it, it started
                            out as a substitute for playing face to face; the advent of one
                            convention virtually every month, plus the trend towards shorter
                            games requiring fewer players (so called German games) - not to
                            mention the advent of PCs - means there just isn't as big a need
                            these days for postal gaming zines. As long as enough zines survive
                            to keep the community intact and the conventions and face to face
                            meets ticking over then what's the worry?

                            Anyway, back to the subject of Mission From God.

                            I'll be looking to get a new issue out in November which means that
                            from editors I need the following information by October:

                            Name of zine
                            Editor's name and address
                            Most recent issue number
                            Frequency
                            Price
                            Format (A4 etc.)
                            Page count
                            Web site if applicable
                            Games being run (number of each)
                            Games on waiting list

                            Everybody is also invited to send in reviews of the zines they see.
                            Send them to me on mfg@... and I'll send you a free issue.

                            Right, I'm off to lunch now, I'll be back with a full review of what
                            I had in about 2 hours.

                            John
                          • fiendishgames
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 12, 2002
                              --- In ukpbm@y..., "fiendishgames" <johnh@f...> wrote:
                              > Right, I'm off to lunch now, I'll be back with a full review of what
                              > I had in about 2 hours.

                              Well I started off with a bottle of San Miguel in a desperate attempt to prolong the summer holiday mood. Refreshing but tasteless in a lagerish sort of way.

                              I was lunching with two women which preculded going anywhere that sells bitter, hence the choice of lager. These are regular dining companions of mine and I used to share a bottle of wine with them but got fed up of always being the one to make concessions: I prefer beer to wine and it is bad enough having to go somewhere that only serves lager without also feeling pressured into drinking wine. Not that I am a class war revolutionary or anything; I just don't much like wine.

                              For my food I had breast of chicken served on an onion and spinach compost (or some similar French word) in a creamy sauce. It came, as is the norm these days, on a huge shallow bowl with the chicken perched on top of the veggies as if it was trying to hatch an egg. I could have got twice the portion for half the price at the caff down the road although I would have had to have applied my own sauce (ketchup for chicken, I always find) .

                              The onion and spinach were a bit watery and not as crisp as I usually like them whilst the sauce did not do much to compensate for the intrinsic blandness of the taste of chicken. An undoubted rip-off at just under a tenner plus two quid plus for the beer, but the surroundings were women-friendly which I guess is what counts.

                              God, I'm beginning to sound like Victor Meldrew.
                            • Ben & Linley Goodale
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 13, 2002
                                I think the word is "compote". They are very fond of that sort of thing over here in Kiwi land. Compost is quite a nice variant, I must say.

                                I suppose restaurant reviewing could be an interesting deviation from Mark Boyle baiting for the group.