Re: [ukpbm] Zine Poll 2000?

  • Ryk
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 13, 2000
      Here are the results of the 2000 Zine Polls

      The 2000 Amateur PBM Zine Poll
      =========================
      1 (2) Sprouts of Wrath
      2 (3) For Whom The Die Rolls
      3 (1) Backstabbers United Monthly
      4 (6) The Cunning Plan
      5 (4) Back to the Dark Ages
      6 (9) Ode
      7 (10) Cut & Thrust
      8 (5) Greatest Hits
      9 (27) Where is my Mind?
      10 (19) Variable Pig
      11 (7) Hopscotch
      12 (16) Dolchstoss
      13 (29) Smiffy's Magnificient Electronic Games
      14 (14) The White Cat
      14 (12) Underneath the Mango Tree
      16 (11) Bloodstock
      17 (28) Flights of Fancy
      18 (20) Dreams Never End
      19 (22) The Premier League
      20 (18) GAME
      21 (-) GZine
      22 (8) Serendipity
      23 (21) Obsidian
      24 (-) Strangitude
      24 (26) Open Season
      26 (17) Shadowplay
      27 (-) 90 Minutes
      28 (-) Pigbutton
      28 (30) Striker
      30 (-) Minstrel

      The 28th Diplomacy Zine Poll
      ======================
      1 (1) Sprouts of Wrath
      2 (3) The Cunning Plan
      3 (4) Ode
      4 (4) Dolchstoss
      5 (2) Backstabbers United Monthly
      6 (14) For Whom The Die Rolls
      7 (8) Gentle Art of Making Enemies
      8 (13) The White Cat
      9 (11) Cut & Thrust
      10 (-) Greatest Hits
      11 (6) Back to the Dark Ages
      11 (17) Bloodstock
      13 (18) Box Frenzy
      14 (20) Strangitude
      15 (10) Obsidian
      16 (-) Pen is Mightier than the Sword
      17 (19) Serendipity
      18 (-) Hopscotch
      19 (-) Smiffy's Marvelous Electronic Games
      19 (-) The Asylum Zone

      The First Amateur Gaming Website Poll
      =============================
      1. keith.Thomasson.com
      2. www.lancedal.demon.co.uk/dip2000/
      3. Ryk.Downes.com
      4. www.fbgames.co.uk/
      5. www.diplomacy.co.uk/

      *** PLEASE PUBLICISE THE PIMLEY AWARD BELOW ***

      The 2000 Pimley Award.
      ==================
      Please vote for one of the following by the end of January 2001 from the
      following.

      1. Neil Duncan
      2. Keith Thomasson (For running For Who the Die Rolls and For Whom the Web
      Rocks)
      3. Tom Tweedy (and his various GMs) for taking Diplomacy to the web and
      rekindling interest in it.
      4. Ryk Downes (for running the zine poll with great (apparent) efficiency
      over the past eight years and producing over 600 issues of zines in).
      5. Sandra Bond (For her triumphant return to the hobby)
      6. No Award

      ATB - Ryk
      Life has to be lived forwards, but can only be understood backwards

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 14, 2000
        In message <025f01c04dda$b0d60840$01e489d4@n6tlv>, Ryk <Ryk@...>
        writes
        >Here are the results of the 2000 Zine Polls
        >
        >The 2000 Amateur PBM Zine Poll
        >=========================
        >1 (2) Sprouts of Wrath
        >2 (3) For Whom The Die Rolls

        [Snip]

        >The First Amateur Gaming Website Poll
        >=============================
        >1. keith.Thomasson.com
        >2. www.lancedal.demon.co.uk/dip2000/
        >3. Ryk.Downes.com
        >4. www.fbgames.co.uk/
        >5. www.diplomacy.co.uk/

        Oh god, I've got to publicise this? How embarrassing... I'm trying to
        keep a low profile and my GMs are dropping me right in it!

        >*** PLEASE PUBLICISE THE PIMLEY AWARD BELOW ***
        >
        >The 2000 Pimley Award.
        >==================
        >Please vote for one of the following by the end of January 2001 from the
        >following.
        >
        >1. Neil Duncan
        >2. Keith Thomasson (For running For Who the Die Rolls and For Whom the Web
        >Rocks)
        >3. Tom Tweedy (and his various GMs) for taking Diplomacy to the web and
        >rekindling interest in it.
        >4. Ryk Downes (for running the zine poll with great (apparent) efficiency
        >over the past eight years and producing over 600 issues of zines in).
        >5. Sandra Bond (For her triumphant return to the hobby)
        >6. No Award

        Who do the votes for this go to? There's no contact name or email. Sorry
        if it's obvious fellahs, but I don't normally follow these polls.

        >From: Richard Smith <richard@...>
        >>
        >> I'm about to send out Variable Pig #74 and Jim would like me to include a
        >> Zine Poll form. Will there be one available on the world wide wobblything
        >> soon?

        If there IS an online form can someone give me a URL for it so I can
        make a link to it?

        http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk/dip2000
      • Mark Wightman
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 15, 2000
          Tom,

          I guess the votes go to Ryk. Either by e-mail to Ryk@... or by post
          to the usual 'zine poll address.

          Cheers

          Mark

          > >Here are the results of the 2000 Zine Polls
          > >
          > >The 2000 Amateur PBM Zine Poll
          > >=========================
          > >1 (2) Sprouts of Wrath
          > >2 (3) For Whom The Die Rolls
          >
          > [Snip]
          >
          > >The First Amateur Gaming Website Poll
          > >=============================
          > >1. keith.Thomasson.com
          > >2. www.lancedal.demon.co.uk/dip2000/
          > >3. Ryk.Downes.com
          > >4. www.fbgames.co.uk/
          > >5. www.diplomacy.co.uk/
          >
          > Oh god, I've got to publicise this? How embarrassing... I'm trying to
          > keep a low profile and my GMs are dropping me right in it!
          > >

          > >*** PLEASE PUBLICISE THE PIMLEY AWARD BELOW ***
          > >
          > >The 2000 Pimley Award.
          > >==================
          > >Please vote for one of the following by the end of January 2001 from the
          > >following.
          > >
          > >1. Neil Duncan
          > >2. Keith Thomasson (For running For Who the Die Rolls and For Whom the
          Web
          > >Rocks)
          > >3. Tom Tweedy (and his various GMs) for taking Diplomacy to the web and
          > >rekindling interest in it.
          > >4. Ryk Downes (for running the zine poll with great (apparent) efficiency
          > >over the past eight years and producing over 600 issues of zines in).
          > >5. Sandra Bond (For her triumphant return to the hobby)
          > >6. No Award
          > >
          > Who do the votes for this go to? There's no contact name or email. Sorry
          > if it's obvious fellahs, but I don't normally follow these polls.
          >
          > >From: Richard Smith <richard@...>
          > >>
          > >> I'm about to send out Variable Pig #74 and Jim would like me to include
          > >> Zine Poll form. Will there be one available on the world wide
          wobblything
          > >> soon?
          > >>
          > If there IS an online form can someone give me a URL for it so I can
          > make a link to it?
          >
          > Tom
          > --
          > Tom Tweedy
          > Diplomacy 2000
          > http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk/dip2000

        • Chris M. Dickson
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 15, 2000
            In message <025f01c04dda$b0d60840$01e489d4@n6tlv>, Ryk <Ryk@...>
            writes
            >Here are the results of the 2000 Zine Polls

            Here's a quick public question for Ryk.

            In past years, you have revealed the number of points earned by each
            zine, the number of people who voted for it and the number of people who
            voted it top. Will you be doing so this year?

            I have a suspicion that the number of votes this year is somewhat down
            on that of previous years and would like to know whether my suspicion is
            at all founded. Incidentally, I don't intend to disparage or criticise
            the efforts of Ryk or any of the editors rated; congratulations and
            appreciation all round.

            Best wishes,
            Chris

            --
            Chris M. Dickson, Middlesbrough, Great Britain; chris@...
            Sport Editor, Flagship PBM mag: http://www.antsnest.demon.co.uk/flagship/
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 16, 2000
              Yes the votes were somewhat down. I blame three reasons.

              1. My non-attendance at Midcon I normally get about 40-50 votes there. I
              think there were only about 10-15
              2. My power failure meaning I did not get the Pimley nominations out,
              possibly some people were waiting for that amendment.
              3. There are fewer and fewer zines each year.

              I have not yet had time to work out the number of first places each zine
              received, as soon as I do I shall release the full results...