Mind Sports Olympiad

  • Mark Stretch
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 10, 2000
      I've returned from the Mind Sports Olympiad with a number of names for
      hobby recruitment - hopefully we can recruit them into the hobby proper.
      I've passed details of all players on to John Harington and all teh relevant
      convention organisers. If anybody else wants a list, let me know. . It
      may be worth setting up a central database of games players for all these
      events. Any volunteers to do the honours?

      Sundry flyers were distributed by myself, and various old zines of mine. How
      many move on into the hobby proper is another matter, but with 5,000 people
      there in all, hopefully some will join us.
      From seeing what some of the other games do, I've also had various ideas
      about how we can boost the hobby at the 20001 event.

      The Stratego players had some excellent ideas for recruitment, many of which
      we can copy. Stratego is a big game in the low countries with dozens of
      tournaments a year, and they are trying to boost popularity over here. Thus,
      they had sponsorship from the manufacturers and were able to bring over a
      group of top players to demonstrate the game. The sponsorship meant that
      they could refund the entry fee for all participants, and give away free
      copies of the game to everyone who played. I doubt we'd be able to manage
      the same with Diplomacy/Settlers/Acquire, but I can ask to see if any of the
      manufacturers want to help with the event. In addition, there was also a
      stand selling the game. Hopefully we will be able to do something similar
      next year as I've tentatively arranged for Games Web to come along, who sell
      dip etc.

      What would be easier to copy is the fact that they ran a couple of beginners
      events during the week. There's no reason we can't do the same next year.
      Additionally there were a couple of half hour workshops where they explained
      the rules of the game to new players and some elementary strategy. Again
      there's no reason why we couldn't do the same next year.

      Doing all the above is likely to be quite time consuming. Is anybody out
      there free who fancies helping me out with any of it? The MSO do pay £50 per
      day, so if any of the students reading this fancy it as a summer job you are
      welcome.

      The MSO next year will again be at Alexandra palace on 18-27 August with
      double the floor space of this year's event. So put the date in your
      diaries, please.

      Next year I'd suggest that we have a stand there all week as the Go people
      did this year in order to try to get some more punters along I'd suggest a
      few notice boards to put results up and display games etc - a bit like we
      used to do at freshers fair.

      Steve Cox did a good job this year in the learn/play new games section,
      educating a number with various German games. I wonder if we can get a
      larger presence on that side of things next year. Reiner Knitzia was a
      player there (in the poker) - perhaps they should get him to run it.

      Any ideas for other games we could run tournaments in next year? Tigris &
      Euphrates?
      Lost Cities? Anyone fancy running an 18xx event? All suggestions welcome.

      Thoughts, everyone.

      Mark

      Mark's web pages: http://www.34dartdrive.freeserve.co.uk/
      Mind Sports Olympiad: http://www.msoworld.com/mindsports.html