Re: War and Pees 3

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 1999
      In message <36DCE20F.30A3@...>, John and Denny Colledge
      <dunorroch@...> writes
      >Shall I give Onelist one more chance? Oh, very well. But I'm warning
      >you, it's meltdown time if they don't send this one!
      >
      >There were a couple of other things I managed to do as a result of my
      >visit to Mastercon. First, I came upon a copy of Counter, so now I know
      >what it is! On the back there is an advert for Leisure Games in London.
      >They sound like the sort of place we should be advertising through, so I
      >will drop them the same few lines I dropped Kris. As they are
      >advertising in his zine, hopefully they will help us as well. I wrote to
      >the SFCP gang but so far no reply. I guess it is only a few days since I
      >wrote, but I had hoped they might have replied by now. I hope comments
      >about postage stamps and the amount Theo knows about Diplomacy haven't
      >ruffled any feathers! Do please try to remember folks, today's recipient
      >of a throw away remark might just be the person we need tomorrow ;-)

      I can't think who you might be referring to :-)

      >Something I have to admit to knowing very little about, that might well
      >be a source of new blood, is the thriving e-mail Diplomacy hobby. I
      >gather from Emric Mitze, (apologies if the spelling is wrong), that
      >there are several thousand people playing Dip by e-mail. I meant to get
      >some details from him, such as his address for a start, but he nipped
      >off before I got a chance to speak to him. I did see Vick the next
      >morning though, and he is going to get me some details.

      Emeric Miszti. More like 2,000. The email Dip hobby has a massive
      resource called the Diplomatic Pouch - part of which is called "Postal
      Diplomacy" which is edited by yours truly. Also, thanks to my Homepage
      "UK Diplomacy" Recently I have been getting at least 2 emails from
      people in the UK asking for details of postal Dip a week.

      >Speaking of advertising, has anyone come up with any ideas for Allan
      >Gordon's cartoons? I see Mark has volunteered as well. I do hope there
      >won't be any artistic tantrums if some are accepted and some declined. I
      >know Allan's are very good, so you will have to be at your best Mark.
      >Actually, your styles are quite different so I suspect you will appeal
      >to different markets. Having said that, there would be nothing to stop
      >us having more than one cartoon on a leaflet/advert. That's worth
      >thinking about.
      >
      >I have just received an other letter from Alex Bardy so here are the
      >main points he makes. I appear to have misunderstood the point he was
      >making about assisting with the booking of cons. Rather than help to
      >pay for them, he suggested that the fund might be used to secure the
      >likes of halls of residence for Manorcon while the committee waited on
      >the funds to arrive from those who were attending. When the funds had
      >been collected the "loan" could be repaid. That would certainly make
      >life easier for Kath, James, Vick and Ian, (hope I haven't forgotten
      >anyone). I'm not sure quite how much they were short last year, but I
      >know they were worried.

      ManorCon carries an accumulated profit of several thousands of pounds
      which goes to pay for the deposit which is also several thousands of
      pounds. I really don't think the couple of hundred we are likely to
      raise would make any odds.

      > He also seems to think that getting people to
      >the cons is a way of getting them interested in the postal side of
      >things. I always suspected it was the other way round but he may be
      >right.

      I suspect you are right.

      >Paying for tables at professional PBM cons was mentioned again. I think
      >this is a very good idea. Comments anyone?

      I will try and turn up and help Alex.

      >Alex was also able to supply Chris Lawson's address so I will ask if he
      >would be prepared to send out leaflets with his 18XX games. Stephen
      >mentioned the chap who took over the Railway Rivals side of things. Does
      >anyone happen to know his address? You would have thought he would have
      >been keen to let everyone know who he was and what he aiming to do!
      >
      >He has also raised the subject of adverts in PC magazines again, aiming
      >at the PC strategic fans. He believes we would be appealing to the
      >correct 'mindset' and he feels they would enjoy PBM as much as we do.

      I have real reservations about PC mags - they don't have classified
      columns usually and proper advertising is prohibitively expensive.
      Anyway, the PC technologically minded will be on the Internet where we
      can publicise ourselves for free.

      >Orphan readers cropped up again. I think he is suggesting that orphan
      >readers would leave the hobby having been ripped off, but if the HDF
      >were to step in and recoup their loss, a) we would get Brownie points as
      >all round good eggs, and b) we would hopefully get the message across
      >that we were not a bunch of villains and it might be worth their while
      >hanging about. I think this has a lot going for it myself, but I do feel
      >we should cover ourselves by suggesting quite strongly that no more than
      >say a fiver should be sent to anyone until they feel happy with the
      >service they are receiving. Any comments?

      I don't think this is a real impediment to getting people. There have
      been very few poor folds in recent years.

      >Almost there now! He mentions the Novice Package again and like most of
      >us, suggests that we should give as good an impression as possible.
      >There are a number of people in the hobby have colour printers now,
      >Geoff Challenger and Alex himself I think, to name but two. Might it be
      >an idea to put together something a bit more flashy than before? I can
      >probably get stuff copied at work more cheaply that say at a
      >professional but it would still cost a fair whack. Just how many copies
      >do you think we are talking about? If anyone can come up with a cheaper
      >alternative, please shout! Come to think of it, I suspect Geoff has a
      >colour copier as well. I will drop him a line to see what sort of prices
      >he would be able to quote us. Alex also suggests that three zines in the
      >Novice Package is probably not enough to give people enough verity. I
      >suspect it isn't too bad, especially if we do enclose a questionnaire
      >which will give an idea of what potential 'customers' would be
      >interested in. He also feels that free zines should be included and
      >freely admits to having a vested interest!

      IMHO Colour laserjets just look cheap, and home printed. John Harrington
      is good at layout and has access to very cheap photocopying - I suggest
      we just let him arrange it rather than complicating things. I would
      worry about the appearance more once we have it written.

> [...]
      >should be thinking of some eye catching, "in your face", advert type
      >slogans. Hopefully the rank and file of the hobby will swamp us with
      >wonderful suggestions, but just in case they don't, get your thinking
      >caps on.
      >
      >I don't know about the rest of you, but from what has been said over the
      >past couple of weeks, I am really glad we did things this way. This I
      >feel has been much more productive, (squabbles and ego trips aside!)
      >than a dozen or so people all wanting to say something at the same time
      >during an informal chat at a con. This way we a) get all the rubbish out
      >in the open and cleared up, and b) come up with some really good ideas
      >because we have plenty of time to think about it. I always had it at the
      >back of my mind that Manorcon would be a good time to have a ftf chat
      >with whoever fancied coming along, just to hear what had been done so
      >far, so I was glad to hear Stephen suggest it as well.
      >
      >One thing that does concern me though, is the student market. I am not
      >sure when students who are due to leave unis actually go home. Should we
      >be concentrating on getting some sort of plan together before we hear
      >back from everyone or would you all prefer to wait? I guess someone
      >might just come up with a jolly wizard idea in which case we might have
      >wasted a lot of time for nothing. Perhaps it is better to wait. Anyone
      >got any input on this? I hope my e-mail advising of the website with all
      >details of British colleges and unis arrived at its destination. I have
      >rather lost track of what has and hasn't been sent, arrived, or decined.
      >"Bring back pigeon post". That's what I say. At least if the pigeon
      >cocks things up you can make a very pleasant pigeon pie out of it!
      >
      >Enough! ENOUGH! Thay can only take so much!
      >

      >Byeeeeee!
      >
      >Well, there's a promising start. The phone line is busy. Be still my
      >beating heart!
      >
      >**NEWSFLASH** Have just received an e-mail from Theo and he appears to
      >have forgotten about postage stamps as they are happy to send out
      >leaflets for us. They send out 120 parcels per month and the circulation
      >of their Game Trade Newsletter is 250. He says they would be happy to
      >send out
      >a poster to their games shop customers. Alex appears to have approached
      >them as well about advertising in Games Games Games and they would be
      >happy to include a business card size advert for us if a suitable advert
      >is supplied. This is just the sort of thing we need as it is actually
      >going to people we know are interested in games. Yipeee!
      >Sorry! I'll be alright in a minute.
      >
      >Next morning - the humphing thing didn't work again! Stephen, can you
      >let me know which address (with or without the "pop") is on the list
      >please? I do not understand why I was able to send the first version of
      >W&P but nothing else is accepted. I have done nothing!!

      I forwarded the first version to the list for you. Can I suggest that I
      delete you from the list and add you myself?

      www.diplomacy.co.uk
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 1999
        In message <36DCE20F.30A3@...>, John and Denny Colledge
        <dunorroch@...> writes
        >Shall I give Onelist one more chance? Oh, very well. But I'm warning
        >you, it's meltdown time if they don't send this one!
        >
        >There were a couple of other things I managed to do as a result of my
        >visit to Mastercon. First, I came upon a copy of Counter, so now I know
        >what it is! On the back there is an advert for Leisure Games in London.
        >They sound like the sort of place we should be advertising through, so I
        >will drop them the same few lines I dropped Kris.

        Leisure Games sell Fiendish Games products and, coincidentally, the
        owners live in Enfield, so I know them reasonably well. They are
        regular attendees of a games club in Finchley every Thursday so as well
        as a flyer for their shop we could give them some flyers for the games
        club. If you want me to liaise with them let me know.

        >Paying for tables at professional PBM cons was mentioned again. I think
        >this is a very good idea. Comments anyone?

        Yes, it is a very good idea. As mentioned earlier, we can have a few
        games of Dip, Fireside Football, Breaking Away, Railway Rivals going and
        give the punters a chance to complete a whole game (except maybe Dip),
        in contrast to the mere taster they'll get in the usually lengthy PBM
        games the pros run. Hopefuly the Furries will also be running En Garde!

        >Alex was also able to supply Chris Lawson's address so I will ask if he
        >would be prepared to send out leaflets with his 18XX games. Stephen
        >mentioned the chap who took over the Railway Rivals side of things. Does
        >anyone happen to know his address? You would have thought he would have
        >been keen to let everyone know who he was and what he aiming to do!

        Eamon Bloomfield. E-mail address is diceman@games.u-net.com. I'm going
        to write to him about something else anyway so I'll ask if he's happy to
        include flyers with the Rostherne Games he sends out plus the games
        catalogue he puts out.

        >He has also raised the subject of adverts in PC magazines again, aiming
        >at the PC strategic fans. He believes we would be appealing to the
        >correct 'mindset' and he feels they would enjoy PBM as much as we do.
        >Orphan readers cropped up again. I think he is suggesting that orphan
        >readers would leave the hobby having been ripped off, but if the HDF
        >were to step in and recoup their loss, a) we would get Brownie points as
        >all round good eggs, and b) we would hopefully get the message across
        >that we were not a bunch of villains and it might be worth their while
        >hanging about. I think this has a lot going for it myself, but I do feel
        >we should cover ourselves by suggesting quite strongly that no more than
        >say a fiver should be sent to anyone until they feel happy with the
        >service they are receiving. Any comments?

        A hobby ombudsman is what we need but this is effectively what John
        Marsden does, isn't it? Trouble is, making people aware of John's
        existence is difficult - by the time the zine is overdue/in
        trouble/folded, the subbers may have lost contact with the hobby.
        Perhaps we should *suggest* that each zine contains a hobby information
        box each issue listing the address of the Ogre, the Zine Bank, the CGS
        and whatever else together with a very brief description of what each
        service does. This information could be slotted in alongside the bit
        with the GM's address and deadline information.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 1999
          In message <1NerREAMob32Ewuz@...>, Stephen Agar
          <stephen@...> writes

          >IMHO Colour laserjets just look cheap, and home printed. John Harrington
          >is good at layout and has access to very cheap photocopying - I suggest
          >we just let him arrange it rather than complicating things. I would
          >worry about the appearance more once we have it written.

          Colour used in display adverts in shops, coffee rooms etc. can look OK
          if displayed in a laminated pouch. It just so happens the Fiendish
          Games empire has a laminating machine ....

          Unless we are going to get colour flyers done at a professional printers
          I don't think colour inkjet jobbies will be worth the extra hassle. You
          can buy fancy coloured paper these days with colour designs on them and
          then print on them in b&w. This might be a cheaper alternative if we
          really want to produce something eye-catching.