why pbm

  • longstafffamily@cwctv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2000
      Why push pbm to pbem players? Simple - more games, more players, more zines including some nifty chat and game/chat zines. There is also the fact that many zines allow moves by email and many players communicate by email. Regarding people deciding strategies for the hobby, why not have an elected council, whose job this is? They could make basic policy, and people could go to them with ideas, etc, which are debated inthe councils own zine, before being decided by the council taking into accountpublic opinion. The rest should be obvious, such as reelections, number of council being an odd number, etc. Brian Longstaff
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2000
        In message <04f715421080240DTVMAIL11@...>,
        longstafffamily@... writes
        >Why push pbm to pbem players? Simple - more games, more players, more zines
        >including some nifty chat and game/chat zines. There is also the fact that
        >many zines allow moves by email and many players communicate by email.

        I agree.

        >Regarding people deciding strategies for the hobby, why not have an elected
        >council, whose job this is?

        An old chestnut. To have elections you need (1) an electorate, (2)
        people to bother to vote, (3) people to bother to stand and (4) general
        acceptance in the legitimacy of the position of those who win the
        election.

        The hobby last had elections for such a thing in 1977 - in the dying
        days of the National Games Club. Even then more than 50% of the hobby
        didn't support the premise of the NGC with the end result that the
        elections caused more division than harmony and direction.

        Personally, I think the absence of an amateur PBM hobby organisation
        with a broad enough remit to include people who frequently disagree with
        each other (such as myself, John Colledge and Mark Wightman) is the No.1
        reason why this hobby has declined over the past 15 years and is now
        terminally ill. Anarchy just doesn't deliver the goods for the hobby in
        general.

        http://www.diplomacy-archive.com