Doom & Gloom.

  • Paul Scott
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 29, 2000
      I think the description of this list should be altered to �A notice-board
      for the UK play-by-mail hobby�, or something similar.

      I think Stephen is right in several ways. Most likely the hobby is
      irrevocably doomed, so is �mail�, paper, stamp collecting etc. I also think
      he�s right in saying we�d need just four to mount a last stand, though six
      would be better.

      Look, there is no doubt what so ever that I will die; but I�ll make my life
      as long as poss. Likewise, though this hobby will surely die, why give up?

      Paul Scott

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2000
        In message <20000301075713.87631.qmail@...>, Paul Scott
        <dipfreaky@...> writes
        >From: "Paul Scott" <dipfreaky@...>
        >
        >I think the description of this list should be altered to A notice-board
        >for the UK play-by-mail hobby, or something similar.
        >
        >I think Stephen is right in several ways. Most likely the hobby is
        >irrevocably doomed, so is mail, paper, stamp collecting etc. I also think
        >hes right in saying wed need just four to mount a last stand, though six
        >would be better.
        >
        >Look, there is no doubt what so ever that I will die; but Ill make my life
        >as long as poss. Likewise, though this hobby will surely die, why give up?

        In many ways I agree with you - honestly.

        But as a hobby we have never managed to get our act together since the
        mid-70's. If we couldn't do it in the good times, I can't see it
        happening in the bad times.

        A couple of years ago I would have been volunteering to do most anything
        to help the postal hobby - but not now. If you get along and do
        something off your own bat in the email hobby, no one slags you off for
        it. If they don't like your website, they don't visit.

        That said, one little thing I've done for the FtF hobby recently is
        create a NDC website: http://www.ndc-uk.org

        Interesting that lots of old postal Diplomacy GM's are now resurfacing
        on Tom Tweedy's Diplomacy 2000 website, to GM email Dip games. I think
        site's like Tom's is where the postal Dip hobby will migrate to.

        http://www.diplomacy-archive.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2000
          In message <x$SKdDAftZv4EwVN@...>, Stephen Agar
          <stephen@...> writes

          Hi Steve,

          >A couple of years ago I would have been volunteering to do most anything
          >to help the postal hobby - but not now. If you get along and do
          >something off your own bat in the email hobby, no one slags you off for
          >it. If they don't like your website, they don't visit.

          I don't want to get into the debate of whether the PBM hobby is alive or
          dead... to me it's just a case of getting your fun where can you find
          it. Some people will still enjoy the zine scene [I do myself and still
          subscribe to a couple] some won't.

          Mind you your last sentence doesn't support your argument about not
          wanting to contribute and getting slagged off for doing so [although I
          do know what you mean], because if people don't like you they can stop
          subbing to your zine as well.

          >That said, one little thing I've done for the FtF hobby recently is
          >create a NDC website: http://www.ndc-uk.org

          Careful... you've contributed again - you might still get slagged off
          for not doing enough. :-)

          >Interesting that lots of old postal Diplomacy GM's are now resurfacing
          >on Tom Tweedy's Diplomacy 2000 website, to GM email Dip games. I think
          >site's like Tom's is where the postal Dip hobby will migrate to.

          Yes, and to be fair to the PBM hobby for contributing a lot of the 'old
          sweats' I've made a section / advert specifically to point some of my
          ftf 'newbies' back to the postal side and conventions. I do think it's
          an important for some email gamers to see there's a greater part of the
          gaming hobby. To tell you the truth, Steve, quite a few of the old
          timers came to dip2000 through you! Our latest sign up was Andrew Hain.
          Thanks very much - you're doing a great job.

          All the best.

          http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk/dip2000
          Fax [only in emergency] +44 (0)1494 581276