Wind up?

  • Paul Scott
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2000
      Hi all,

      Stephen writes..

      "Anyone think it's time to wind this list up? It's been like a grave for the
      past 3 months."

      NO! I really don�t think this list should be wound up. I just think it�s
      description should be changed. As I recall it's original objective was to
      "promote the hobby". Sadly, and obviously, in this honourable aim it has
      failed; however there is no reason at all why the list cannot serve as a
      notice board for the whole hobby � hobby news, waiting list updates etc.

      Meanwhile, what went wrong? I think despite many first rate ideas we were
      just way too disorganised. All suggesting but almost no-one actually doing.
      We were like a tug-of-war team with ten managers, half a dozen navigators &
      one poor bastard flat on his face in the mud.

      If we are to save this hobby from this slow death, we need to set up a small
      and efficient promotional team. Maybe from six to ten diehards...

      One to deal with enquiries.
      Two or three to drop leaflets at cons.
      One to raise money.
      One or two to make direct approaches to universities/disabled etc. Two to
      run the HDF.
      A couple to organise adverts.
      Etc etc.

      I think a determined effort by such a group would be this hobby�s last real
      chance. Without it, it is (IMHO) terminally fucked.

      Paul Scott.

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 29, 2000
        In message <20000229074029.96156.qmail@...>, Paul Scott
        <dipfreaky@...> writes
        >From: "Paul Scott" <dipfreaky@...>
        >
        >Hi all,
        >
        >Stephen writes..
        >
        >"Anyone think it's time to wind this list up? It's been like a grave for the
        >past 3 months."
        >
        >NO! I really dont think this list should be wound up. I just think its
        >description should be changed. As I recall it's original objective was to
        >"promote the hobby". Sadly, and obviously, in this honourable aim it has
        >failed; however there is no reason at all why the list cannot serve as a
        >notice board for the whole hobby hobby news, waiting list updates etc.
        >
        >Meanwhile, what went wrong? I think despite many first rate ideas we were
        >just way too disorganised. All suggesting but almost no-one actually doing.
        >We were like a tug-of-war team with ten managers, half a dozen navigators &
        >one poor bastard flat on his face in the mud.

        Just to let you know that I am still receiving enquiries at the rate of
        about 2 or 3 a month for the Starter Pack.

        Fiendish Board Games - makers of Breaking Away, Office Politics and Traffic
        Lights
        www.fiendishgames.demon.co.uk