MidCon, Small Furries, Chart International

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 1999
      This is not strictly in tune with the purpose of this newsgroup but it
      will be of interest to most of us who are in the postal gaming hobby.

      Apparently there are e-mails circulating to the effect that as the Small
      Furries have gone bankrupt, MidCon is cancelled.

      Hopefully Theo will log on and give us the full low-down but having
      spent the last week-end with him in Essen I know a little bit about what
      is going on with the Small Furries and this is my understanding of the
      situation.

      First off, MidCon is still on. Furthermore, in an attempt to avoid the
      fiasco we had last year with people being bounced to another hotel,
      Carol has been ringing the Angus everyday to check up on the status of
      everyone's booking, so hopefully we will not have the same problems we
      had last year.

      OK, on to the financial side of things re Chart International.

      As some of you may know, Chart recently had a share offer. They did not
      receive the required amount in applications and so as a result Theo has
      bought some parts of the Chart International operation whilst other bits
      have gone into receivership or administration (not sure which).

      Hopefully I am not making matters worse by spreading even more false
      information but I believe that Theo's new company, Playing Games, has
      bought up the shops (presumably including the mail order business), the
      magazine (Games Games Games) and the convention business (MidCon,
      FurryCons, numerous role playing week-end thingies). The model making
      bit including lumps of factory and offices are still part of Chart
      which, as I said, has gone into receivership.

      Punters who subscribed to the Chart International share offer have been
      invited to invest in Playing Games instead. I know there are some
      people of the opinion that the Small Furries are making huge money at
      our expense at conventions but it is my understanding that these
      operations barely break even. The shops, on the other hand, are
      profitable and if you are interested in investing I am sure Theo
      (theo@...) would be happy to discuss it with you.

      So, in summary, MidCon is still on, Games Games Games will continue
      publishing and you can still buy games mail order from the Small
      Furries. On the other hand, if you were hoping to buy some scale models
      of remote controlled helicopters you probably have to look elsewhere.

      Hopefully the above information is reasonably accurate but if it isn't I
      am sure Theo will give us the hot poop. (Not a pleasant prospect!)