Re: A bit of this and a bit of that!

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 15, 1999
      In message <380760BB.679B@...>, John and Denny Colledge
      <dunorroch@...> writes

      > Why last minute? Well, as
      >you know, I was ex[ecting to get the promised details of the bank
      >account, however I was also waiting on someone else to get back to me.

      >Of course, had that certain numpty bothered their nether regions to
      >reply after I sent an e-mail telling him what I proposed putting in the
      >leaflets, the problem of the incorrect post code would not have arisen
      >in the first place! But of course, as the old Monty Python cricketing
      >sketch goes, "I was getting used to it by now!" Grrrrrrrrr! Come on
      >folks. There are few enough of us actually doing any work in this
      >campaign without all these avoidable cock-ups! We are just wasting time,
      >effort, and money otherwise. Whinge over!

      I know you don't accept this John, but the main reason I think you wind
      up so many people is that you never know when to let things drop (to the
      extent that I have seen a couple of very good Colledge parodies from
      hobby folk). How many times have you mentioned the bloody bank account
      details? At least this wasn't one of my alleged sins.

      >On a slightly negative note, I offered some time ago to do a rehash of
      >the leaflet for those that we thought would be more interested in the
      >Diplomacy side of the hobby. I have to confess that my enthusiasm for
      >Diplomacy has waned somewhat over the past year or so and in fact, I
      >will probably not be playing at Midcon this year for the first time in,
      >I guess it must be about a dozen years. I feel therefore that I am
      >probably not the correct person to give this the passion it deserves, so
      >can volunteers who feel up to doing this, please form an orderly queue?
      >It is better that I raise this matter now rather than when the adverts
      >in the wargames magazines begin to show.

      The wargames adverts are as nothing compared to the exposure when
      computer Diplomacy goes on sale in a few weeks time. I have done what I
      can to get a plug for the UK Dip hobby in the manual - but I suspect
      that the only endorsement will be for the Diplomatic Pouch website which
      will be the "official" site. I have almost finished a complete revamp of
      the postal section of the Pouch which I hope to upload before the
      software is released.

      >I was sorry to hear of the demise of Springboard. While it wasn't
      >everybody's cup of tea it undoubtedly served a purpose and Danny always
      >gave of his best to it, as did Kath latterly. Mind you, I was greatly
      >impressed by Kath's ability to give the impression of someone jumping up
      >and down with joy in an e-mail when she told me! "Another one bites the
      >dust" as the song goes. Hopefully this will be the last one for some
      >time, or at least until we get a few budding editors dragged into the
      >hobby!

      Personally I think postal Dip is as good as dead. I would be truly
      amazed if there were anymore substantial Dip zines started. The once
      mighty US hobby is down to a handful, while in the UK there are less Dip
      zines now than there were in 1972 (and the hobby only started in 1969).
      A shame for Springboard to fold just when it was guaranteed its first
      Top Ten place in the Dip Poll.

      www.diplomacy.co.uk
    • P B Harrison
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 15, 1999
        I go along with you, Steve; postal Diplomacy will not be with us much
        longer. It's not that long since you published Spring Offensive and said
        that for the first time you'd received more orders by e-mail than by post;
        was that not earlier this year?

        Many games are now being published with play by LAN/WAN/Intranet/Internet
        options, including my own favourite Civilization. I'm a bit constrained at
        present on Windows NT, but when Windows 2000 arrives in February everyone
        will be able to access multiplayer games over the Net - which will make
        Civilization much harder to win!

        If computer Diplomacy is well programmed, giving effective graphics and
        (hopefully) the option of a Game Master's computer, we might well have a
        surge of interest in our hobby. Certainly, when you need six opponents to
        make the game, a newsgroup is needed.

        You're leading the way with Spring Offensive Online. I hope that the
        electronic Diplomacy arrives supporting zine editors as well as on-line
        play. (And doesn't this sound sycophantic! Never mind, Steve, just send me
        the tenner!)

        PBH 8-)

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 17, 1999
          In message <380760BB.679B@...>, John and Denny Colledge
          <dunorroch@...> writes
          >From: John and Denny Colledge <dunorroch@...>
          >
          >John Wilman, and now John H. has mixed me up with none other than John
          >Piggott! Who am I? Where am I? And what the hellam I doing here?

          Oops! I'll get my revolver and do the decent thing :-)

          >To more positive matters. I have had an other questionnaire returned
          >with an
          >offer to hand out leaflets. This time it was Games and Puzzles in
          >London. In view of the long delay since Cardiff Games said they would
          >help, I have sent two posters and 100 leaflets just to get the ball
          >rolling. John H. can you please sent them a further 900, (not 1900 as my
          >time that MfG is ready? If you don't have the address, please shout! I
          >explained why there had been a delay. There seemed little point in
          >sending any more in view of the number of zines that have passed away
          >recently. Also, John, can you please send me a copy of the revised
          >leaflet and poster by e-mail to my work address? You should have a note
          >of it. If not, again, please shout. I can cope with copying the odd
          >couple of hundred leaflets here and there at work as I am using my own
          >paper, but I don't want to be seen to be misusing the privilege. I also
          >pointed out that you might be send ing a few zines, so hopefully your
          >floorboards will be saved after all!

          I'll get on it after Essen (this week).

          >The advert in When Saturday Comes sounds quite cheap. Any idea how may
          >people actually see it? I know John H. is keen to get some more footie
          >type games
          >players into the hobby. Let?s hope they are slightly more enthusiastic
          >than the
          >footie zine editors were. I got only one response to my last mailing to
          >all editors and he thought it was a wind-up! How exactly do we go about
          >interesting these folk in the wider hobby? Is the idea that you send out
          >a mixture of footie zines and "other games" zines as well John?

          The footie zine editors are not that much more insular than the En
          Garde! editors, if at all. For various historical reasons some footie
          zines have been quite happy to poodle along without embracing the whole
          hobby. Like you John (it is John isn't it?) I favour creating a broad
          church so am happy to include all branches of the hobby in our
          promotional efforts.

          Typically I am sending out 5 or 6 zines with the Starter Pack, which
          leaves ample room for one multi-games zine, one Dip zine, one footie
          zine, one EG! zine plus one or two discretionary choices.

          >John asked for feedback on whether we felt it was worth spending 60 on
          >an
          >advert to the pro-PBM players. The answer must be yes, surely? These are
          >people
          >who are a) interested in games, and b) happy to pay for the
          >pleasure....... of
          >playing games that is! What did you think I meant? Providing the new MfG
          >is in place and there are plenty of zines available, let's go for it.
          >The same goes for the freebie ads, but do remember everyone, there is
          >only one person dishing out the
          >packages, so we need to make sure these ads are staggered a bit or we
          >may run the risk of John being swamped! The message is clear. Mention
          >that you aim to do
          >whatever it is, before actually doing it.

          It will be a miracle if I get MfG done in time for MidCon but that's
          what I am aiming for.

          With Dip the computer game being released in December perhaps some ads
          in the computer press might be in order? I know this has been contested
          before but if there ever is a time to advertise in a computer mag then
          now is the time. It might be too late to get a box advert in for the
          glossies but the likes of Micro Mart and PC Mart should be able to fit
          us in easily enough, I should have thought.

          >Chris mentioned Alex's article in Flagship. Do we really need fliers for
          >that as well? Presumably he has given John H?s details as a contact in
          >the article somewhere?

          The enquiries are coming through from Alex's article so he must have put
          my address in!

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 18, 1999
            In message <v$KD$pAWuoC4IwWk@...>, John Harrington
            <johnh@...> writes

            >With Dip the computer game being released in December perhaps some ads
            >in the computer press might be in order? I know this has been contested
            >before but if there ever is a time to advertise in a computer mag then
            >now is the time. It might be too late to get a box advert in for the
            >glossies but the likes of Micro Mart and PC Mart should be able to fit
            >us in easily enough, I should have thought.

            Computer mags worth advertising in are VERY expensive. Micro Mart and PC
            mart are not really gamesplayers type of magazines. There will be a very
            big plug for the Dip Pouch web site in the booklet with the Hasbro
            computer Dip, and we do have control over the postal section of the Dip
            Pouch. New ideas of what I should include would be welcome.

            www.diplomacy.co.uk