A bit of this and a bit of that!

  • John and Denny Colledge
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 15, 1999
      Hi folks! Apologies for the silence. For my sins I have entered the
      World E-mail
      Diplomacy Championships and things have been rather er.... frantic!

      From time to time I have been updating the Digests for Alex. Yes, I
      managed to
      find my way to them at last, no thanks to ONElist's Help Desk. Anyway, a
      number
      of things spring to mind.

      Firstly, I obviously need a press secretary or public relations
      department! Chris, you don't fancy acting on my behalf as well as Alex's
      do you? Over the past few weeks I have been accused of writing like
      Stephen Agar, Gihan Bandaraniaka, and Mark Wightman, (hmmm! - I had
      problems coming to terms with that one as well), in TCP there is a
      letter that is supposed to be from me but I suspect is actually from
      John Wilman, and now John H. has mixed me up with none other than John
      Piggott! Who am I? Where am I? And what the hellam I doing here?
      Yes, it was I who ended up copying about 350 leaflets with the wrong
      postal code
      on them at the last minute before Manorcon. Why last minute? Well, as
      you know, I was ex[ecting to get the promised details of the bank
      account, however I was also waiting on someone else to get back to me.
      Of course, had that certain numpty bothered their nether regions to
      reply after I sent an e-mail telling him what I proposed putting in the
      leaflets, the problem of the incorrect post code would not have arisen
      in the first place! But of course, as the old Monty Python cricketing
      sketch goes, "I was getting used to it by now!" Grrrrrrrrr! Come on
      folks. There are few enough of us actually doing any work in this
      campaign without all these avoidable cock-ups! We are just wasting time,
      effort, and money otherwise. Whinge over!

      To more positive matters. I have had an other questionnaire returned
      with an
      offer to hand out leaflets. This time it was Games and Puzzles in
      London. In view of the long delay since Cardiff Games said they would
      help, I have sent two posters and 100 leaflets just to get the ball
      rolling. John H. can you please sent them a further 900, (not 1900 as my
      time that MfG is ready? If you don't have the address, please shout! I
      explained why there had been a delay. There seemed little point in
      sending any more in view of the number of zines that have passed away
      recently. Also, John, can you please send me a copy of the revised
      leaflet and poster by e-mail to my work address? You should have a note
      of it. If not, again, please shout. I can cope with copying the odd
      couple of hundred leaflets here and there at work as I am using my own
      paper, but I don't want to be seen to be misusing the privilege. I also
      pointed out that you might be send ing a few zines, so hopefully your
      floorboards will be saved after all!
      Starting next week, I will begin to send out a few more letters to game
      s shops.
      By the time any that are interested get back to me, (a couple of weeks?)
      the new
      version of MfG should be beginning to take shape from what John was
      saying.

      I thought we had already arranged for a note to be added to the Midcon
      Application form asking for donations to the HDF but I'm afraid I can't
      be bothered trecking back through my copies of the Digests for
      confirmation. There seems little point. Theo, can we make this
      arrangement for next year if it doesn't cause you guys too much extra
      work? I know you are probably very busy just now with the floatation of
      Chart International, but could you also get back to us about the HDF as
      well? We appear to be doing a lot of skirting about the main issue with
      this one. It would be nice to know just what is what.
      Some time ago I asked Kath Collman about the HDF being mentioned on next
      year's Manorcon Application. I can't remember if Kath got back to me or
      not, so to be on the safe side I have sent an e-mail to all of the
      Manorcon Committee with
      this request. I can't see there being a problem and I have promised to
      whinge at
      them during Midcon weekend if there is. Who me? Whinge? Never! ;-) I
      will get
      back to you to let you know the outcome as soon as possible.

      On a slightly negative note, I offered some time ago to do a rehash of
      the leaflet for those that we thought would be more interested in the
      Diplomacy side of the hobby. I have to confess that my enthusiasm for
      Diplomacy has waned somewhat over the past year or so and in fact, I
      will probably not be playing at Midcon this year for the first time in,
      I guess it must be about a dozen years. I feel therefore that I am
      probably not the correct person to give this the passion it deserves, so
      can volunteers who feel up to doing this, please form an orderly queue?
      It is better that I raise this matter now rather than when the adverts
      in the wargames magazines begin to show.

      The advert in When Saturday Comes sounds quite cheap. Any idea how may
      people actually see it? I know John H. is keen to get some more footie
      type games
      players into the hobby. Let?s hope they are slightly more enthusiastic
      than the
      footie zine editors were. I got only one response to my last mailing to
      all editors and he thought it was a wind-up! How exactly do we go about
      interesting these folk in the wider hobby? Is the idea that you send out
      a mixture of footie zines and "other games" zines as well John?

      John asked for feedback on whether we felt it was worth spending �60 on
      an
      advert to the pro-PBM players. The answer must be yes, surely? These are
      people
      who are a) interested in games, and b) happy to pay for the
      pleasure....... of
      playing games that is! What did you think I meant? Providing the new MfG
      is in place and there are plenty of zines available, let's go for it.
      The same goes for the freebie ads, but do remember everyone, there is
      only one person dishing out the
      packages, so we need to make sure these ads are staggered a bit or we
      may run the risk of John being swamped! The message is clear. Mention
      that you aim to do
      whatever it is, before actually doing it.

      Chris mentioned Alex's article in Flagship. Do we really need fliers for
      that as well? Presumably he has given John H?s details as a contact in
      the article somewhere?

      I was sorry to hear of the demise of Springboard. While it wasn't
      everybody's cup of tea it undoubtedly served a purpose and Danny always
      gave of his best to it, as did Kath latterly. Mind you, I was greatly
      impressed by Kath's ability to give the impression of someone jumping up
      and down with joy in an e-mail when she told me! "Another one bites the
      dust" as the song goes. Hopefully this will be the last one for some
      time, or at least until we get a few budding editors dragged into the
      hobby!

      Finally, a quick word to Chris Tyler regarding the offer of assistance,
      as I don't see any sign of anyone taking him up on it. Chris, I don't
      know when you joined the discussion group so if this is old hat, I do
      apologise. Some time ago, in an effort to get some sort of
      co-ordination, (or even co-operation!) within the campaign we had a
      quick poll of what methods we felt we should attempt first. Basically
      those that involved people we knew were interested in games came top,
      hence the letters to games shops about leaflets and adverts in games
      orientated magazines. From memory "using the Internet" came third,
      basically because it is cheap and we can reach dear only knows how many
      people. So, thanks for your suggestion. It sounds useful, and please
      watch this space. If you see the discussion group heading in an Internet
      orientated direction, please remind us. Some of us are getting to be a
      bit long in the tooth and tend to forget this kind of thing! Filled with
      "youthful enthusiasm" you understand, but the little gray cells ain't
      what they used to be!

      Well, that was lunch break. Back to work.

      Byeeeeeee!

      JC
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 15, 1999
        In message <380760BB.679B@...>, John and Denny Colledge
        <dunorroch@...> writes

        > Why last minute? Well, as
        >you know, I was ex[ecting to get the promised details of the bank
        >account, however I was also waiting on someone else to get back to me.

        >Of course, had that certain numpty bothered their nether regions to
        >reply after I sent an e-mail telling him what I proposed putting in the
        >leaflets, the problem of the incorrect post code would not have arisen
        >in the first place! But of course, as the old Monty Python cricketing
        >sketch goes, "I was getting used to it by now!" Grrrrrrrrr! Come on
        >folks. There are few enough of us actually doing any work in this
        >campaign without all these avoidable cock-ups! We are just wasting time,
        >effort, and money otherwise. Whinge over!

        I know you don't accept this John, but the main reason I think you wind
        up so many people is that you never know when to let things drop (to the
        extent that I have seen a couple of very good Colledge parodies from
        hobby folk). How many times have you mentioned the bloody bank account
        details? At least this wasn't one of my alleged sins.

        >On a slightly negative note, I offered some time ago to do a rehash of
        >the leaflet for those that we thought would be more interested in the
        >Diplomacy side of the hobby. I have to confess that my enthusiasm for
        >Diplomacy has waned somewhat over the past year or so and in fact, I
        >will probably not be playing at Midcon this year for the first time in,
        >I guess it must be about a dozen years. I feel therefore that I am
        >probably not the correct person to give this the passion it deserves, so
        >can volunteers who feel up to doing this, please form an orderly queue?
        >It is better that I raise this matter now rather than when the adverts
        >in the wargames magazines begin to show.

        The wargames adverts are as nothing compared to the exposure when
        computer Diplomacy goes on sale in a few weeks time. I have done what I
        can to get a plug for the UK Dip hobby in the manual - but I suspect
        that the only endorsement will be for the Diplomatic Pouch website which
        will be the "official" site. I have almost finished a complete revamp of
        the postal section of the Pouch which I hope to upload before the
        software is released.

        >I was sorry to hear of the demise of Springboard. While it wasn't
        >everybody's cup of tea it undoubtedly served a purpose and Danny always
        >gave of his best to it, as did Kath latterly. Mind you, I was greatly
        >impressed by Kath's ability to give the impression of someone jumping up
        >and down with joy in an e-mail when she told me! "Another one bites the
        >dust" as the song goes. Hopefully this will be the last one for some
        >time, or at least until we get a few budding editors dragged into the
        >hobby!

        Personally I think postal Dip is as good as dead. I would be truly
        amazed if there were anymore substantial Dip zines started. The once
        mighty US hobby is down to a handful, while in the UK there are less Dip
        zines now than there were in 1972 (and the hobby only started in 1969).
        A shame for Springboard to fold just when it was guaranteed its first
        Top Ten place in the Dip Poll.

        www.diplomacy.co.uk
      • P B Harrison
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 15, 1999
          I go along with you, Steve; postal Diplomacy will not be with us much
          longer. It's not that long since you published Spring Offensive and said
          that for the first time you'd received more orders by e-mail than by post;
          was that not earlier this year?

          Many games are now being published with play by LAN/WAN/Intranet/Internet
          options, including my own favourite Civilization. I'm a bit constrained at
          present on Windows NT, but when Windows 2000 arrives in February everyone
          will be able to access multiplayer games over the Net - which will make
          Civilization much harder to win!

          If computer Diplomacy is well programmed, giving effective graphics and
          (hopefully) the option of a Game Master's computer, we might well have a
          surge of interest in our hobby. Certainly, when you need six opponents to
          make the game, a newsgroup is needed.

          You're leading the way with Spring Offensive Online. I hope that the
          electronic Diplomacy arrives supporting zine editors as well as on-line
          play. (And doesn't this sound sycophantic! Never mind, Steve, just send me
          the tenner!)

          PBH 8-)

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 17, 1999
            In message <380760BB.679B@...>, John and Denny Colledge
            <dunorroch@...> writes
            >From: John and Denny Colledge <dunorroch@...>
            >
            >John Wilman, and now John H. has mixed me up with none other than John
            >Piggott! Who am I? Where am I? And what the hellam I doing here?

            Oops! I'll get my revolver and do the decent thing :-)

            >To more positive matters. I have had an other questionnaire returned
            >with an
            >offer to hand out leaflets. This time it was Games and Puzzles in
            >London. In view of the long delay since Cardiff Games said they would
            >help, I have sent two posters and 100 leaflets just to get the ball
            >rolling. John H. can you please sent them a further 900, (not 1900 as my
            >time that MfG is ready? If you don't have the address, please shout! I
            >explained why there had been a delay. There seemed little point in
            >sending any more in view of the number of zines that have passed away
            >recently. Also, John, can you please send me a copy of the revised
            >leaflet and poster by e-mail to my work address? You should have a note
            >of it. If not, again, please shout. I can cope with copying the odd
            >couple of hundred leaflets here and there at work as I am using my own
            >paper, but I don't want to be seen to be misusing the privilege. I also
            >pointed out that you might be send ing a few zines, so hopefully your
            >floorboards will be saved after all!

            I'll get on it after Essen (this week).

            >The advert in When Saturday Comes sounds quite cheap. Any idea how may
            >people actually see it? I know John H. is keen to get some more footie
            >type games
            >players into the hobby. Let?s hope they are slightly more enthusiastic
            >than the
            >footie zine editors were. I got only one response to my last mailing to
            >all editors and he thought it was a wind-up! How exactly do we go about
            >interesting these folk in the wider hobby? Is the idea that you send out
            >a mixture of footie zines and "other games" zines as well John?

            The footie zine editors are not that much more insular than the En
            Garde! editors, if at all. For various historical reasons some footie
            zines have been quite happy to poodle along without embracing the whole
            hobby. Like you John (it is John isn't it?) I favour creating a broad
            church so am happy to include all branches of the hobby in our
            promotional efforts.

            Typically I am sending out 5 or 6 zines with the Starter Pack, which
            leaves ample room for one multi-games zine, one Dip zine, one footie
            zine, one EG! zine plus one or two discretionary choices.

            >John asked for feedback on whether we felt it was worth spending 60 on
            >an
            >advert to the pro-PBM players. The answer must be yes, surely? These are
            >people
            >who are a) interested in games, and b) happy to pay for the
            >pleasure....... of
            >playing games that is! What did you think I meant? Providing the new MfG
            >is in place and there are plenty of zines available, let's go for it.
            >The same goes for the freebie ads, but do remember everyone, there is
            >only one person dishing out the
            >packages, so we need to make sure these ads are staggered a bit or we
            >may run the risk of John being swamped! The message is clear. Mention
            >that you aim to do
            >whatever it is, before actually doing it.

            It will be a miracle if I get MfG done in time for MidCon but that's
            what I am aiming for.

            With Dip the computer game being released in December perhaps some ads
            in the computer press might be in order? I know this has been contested
            before but if there ever is a time to advertise in a computer mag then
            now is the time. It might be too late to get a box advert in for the
            glossies but the likes of Micro Mart and PC Mart should be able to fit
            us in easily enough, I should have thought.

            >Chris mentioned Alex's article in Flagship. Do we really need fliers for
            >that as well? Presumably he has given John H?s details as a contact in
            >the article somewhere?

            The enquiries are coming through from Alex's article so he must have put
            my address in!

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 18, 1999
              In message <v$KD$pAWuoC4IwWk@...>, John Harrington
              <johnh@...> writes

              >With Dip the computer game being released in December perhaps some ads
              >in the computer press might be in order? I know this has been contested
              >before but if there ever is a time to advertise in a computer mag then
              >now is the time. It might be too late to get a box advert in for the
              >glossies but the likes of Micro Mart and PC Mart should be able to fit
              >us in easily enough, I should have thought.

              Computer mags worth advertising in are VERY expensive. Micro Mart and PC
              mart are not really gamesplayers type of magazines. There will be a very
              big plug for the Dip Pouch web site in the booklet with the Hasbro
              computer Dip, and we do have control over the postal section of the Dip
              Pouch. New ideas of what I should include would be welcome.

              www.diplomacy.co.uk