How many?

  • Paul Scott
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 1999
      Hi all,

      Richard Smith recently put the question �How many new players do we
      actually want ?�

      300.

      (My audacity is universally admired)

      I dunno, seems about right to me, but one and all, please check out my
      reasoning and modify it as you see fit....

      30 Editors each willing to take 20 new players = 600 new subscriptions.

      Of the 300, 100 drop out and the remaining 200 each sub to an average
      of three zines each = 600 subscriptions.

      I think the question needs to be re-phrased....
      �How many new subbers do editors want?�

      WELL? How many do you lot want???

      Would all editors on this list be so kind as to reply? I think this is
      something we need to know.

      Paul Scott.
    • Sian Reeves
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 1999
        Another 20 would be nice
        10 would be nice
        5 who sign up for lots of games would go down well
        One who sends lots of correspondence and signs up for games would be most welcome

        Tone

        ----------
        Richard Smith recently put the question "How many new players do we
        actually want ?"

        300.

        (My audacity is universally admired)

        I dunno, seems about right to me, but one and all, please check out my
        reasoning and modify it as you see fit....

        30 Editors each willing to take 20 new players = 600 new subscriptions.

        Of the 300, 100 drop out and the remaining 200 each sub to an average
        of three zines each = 600 subscriptions.

        I think the question needs to be re-phrased....
        "How many new subbers do editors want?"

        WELL? How many do you lot want???

        Would all editors on this list be so kind as to reply? I think this is
        something we need to know.

        Paul Scott.

        With more than 18 million e-mails exchanged daily...
        http://www.onelist.com
        ...ONElist is THE place where the world talks!
      • mark.wightman@bt.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 1999
          Hi chaps!

          Looking down the list of subscribers I don't recognise many current 'zine
          editors, although it's tricky to tell when people register without using
          their full names.

          From where I'm standing we don't appear to have been swamped with new blood,
          unless they're being steered well clear of my evil rag <g> So, I'm wondering
          why people are asking? OK setting realistic targets for yourself is all part
          of life, but in this instance I don't think their can be too many new
          recruits. Although, I can imagine that some 'zine ed's might not be looking
          for a sudden influx, but from where I'm standing you can send as many as you
          want.

          I'd like to say though, that a target of 300 is way too high; because I
          doubt that there are that many 'players' currently active in the whole of
          the UK hobby. Richard Sharp's TNG would tell you how many active Dip players
          there are and might form a basis for a better guess. I'd estimate 300 min,
          500 max so, gaining even 100 new players would be a result.

          Bring em on, I say!

          Mark Wightman
          The Sprouts of Wrath
          Sproutworld - The e-version available at
          http://www.btinternet.com/~mr.sprout
        • Kerry Harrison (Madhouse USA)
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 1999
            > I'd like to say though, that a target of 300 is way too high; because I
            > doubt that there are that many 'players' currently active in the whole of
            > the UK hobby. Richard Sharp's TNG would tell you how many active Dip players
            > there are and might form a basis for a better guess. I'd estimate 300 min,
            > 500 max so, gaining even 100 new players would be a result.

            Don't know much about the amateur PBM scene you guys seem to be talking about,
            but on the professional side there are well over 10,000 PBM players in the UK
            alone.

            Kerry
          • mark.wightman@xx.xxx
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 1999
              10,000 playing pro-pbm, that's an impressive number. Far more than I'd have
              ever imagined.

              If I might be as bold as to ask - On average how many games would each of
              them play and how much would they spend doing it? Because by the sound of
              things there's a lot of potential for our amateur side of things to offer
              the pro-players something. I'd guess that on average we are cheaper, but I
              suppose our games are less complex.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 1999
                > 10,000 playing pro-pbm, that's an impressive number. Far more than I'd have
                > ever imagined.

                It's actually conservative. We estimate there are approximately 100,000
                PBM gamers worldwide - mostly in Europe & North America but we're seeing
                growing numbers in other locations.

                > If I might be as bold as to ask - On average how many games would each of
                > them play and how much would they spend doing it? Because by the sound of
                > things there's a lot of potential for our amateur side of things to offer
                > the pro-players something. I'd guess that on average we are cheaper, but I
                > suppose our games are less complex.

                I'm not real sure of the level of demographics for the UK market (I run
                our company's US operations) but I think it's something like 2 games and
                10 pounds a month. One of the problems with attracting new players for
                a game is that a lot of players will only game with one PBM firm - and
                it's usually that one that exposed them to this format that they choose
                to game with, of those that play with multiple companies I'd hazard a
                guess and say it's less then 10% of the player base.

                Actually it's been our exprience that the more popular and widely played
                commerical games tend to be the less complex ones. Also in the US price
                is less of an issue then you might think, but I understand a somewhat
                different demographic is at work in the UK and price is a consideration
                for the majority of players.

                Kerry
                Madhouse USA