Re: [ukpbm] Colour lasers again

  • Peter Sullivan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 20, 2006
      Richard Smith wrote:

      > I am quite tempted by the OKI C3200 which is under £200 and does 12ppm
      > colour as it is one-pass printer (rather than the usual 4-pass) but
      > I've since been leaning toward the Samsung CLP-510 which is slower
      > (and much bigger) but is higher quality and has a built-in duplex with
      > "booklet mode" ideal for zines. It costs about £220 and the carts are
      > expensive but long-lasting. I have seen some negative comments about
      > it on the net regarding the "smart chips" in the colour carts which
      > allegedly indicate that they are spent too soon and prevent further
      > printing.

      More to the point, smart chips make it harder (tho' not impossible) to
      do toner refills. I'm sure I'm teaching granny to suck eggs here, but
      re-using toner carts is a good way of cutting costs - you can refill a
      typical cart at least 3 times before it knacks. I've been happy with the
      price & service I've had from U Refill (www.refilltoner.com) for
      refilling my b&w laser, although I'm sure there are other firms out
      there, maybe even some a smidgen cheaper. Their website currently lists
      the Samsung CLP-510 refills at £27.49 to £32.49 ex VAT per colour - not
      sure how that compares to buying new.
      --
      Peter Sullivan <peter@...>
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2006
        Hi Peter,

        That's very useful information as I didn't think you could refill "smart carts" at all.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2006
          As I mentioned before, I was considering the Samsung CLP-510 colour
          http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2033

          but I ended up buying a fast, economical mono with high print quality, decent memory and duplex. The new Kyocera FS-1030D.
          http://trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2560

          In the end I felt the running costs of a colour were a bit too high (even using refills) especially given Variable Pig's fat size (ca. 52 pages) and most models are a rather too big for my little spare room. So I wimped out. I wonder if any other zine eds *will* go for it?