Colour lasers again

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 19, 2006
      A while back I said I was considering upgrading to a colour laser for zine printing due to the current low prices, but I am yet to buy one. The reason is that the cartridge on my black and white Samsung ML-6050 is still going strong and in the interests of economy I should wait until it is nearly empty. Each toner cart costs £80 and is rated for 6,000 sheets and so far the current one has done 5 issues of Variable Pig @ 1,000 sheets, so must be about to expire. So it's decision time.

      I am quite tempted by the OKI C3200 which is under £200 and does 12ppm colour as it is one-pass printer (rather than the usual 4-pass) but I've since been leaning toward the Samsung CLP-510 which is slower (and much bigger) but is higher quality and has a built-in duplex with "booklet mode" ideal for zines. It costs about £220 and the carts are expensive but long-lasting. I have seen some negative comments about it on the net regarding the "smart chips" in the colour carts which allegedly indicate that they are spent too soon and prevent further printing.

      So the question is, have any other ziners taken the plunge on a colour laser? If so what model and how was it for you? If not I guess I'll be the first and will give you my verdict on the model I buy.

    • Peter Sullivan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 20, 2006
        Richard Smith wrote:

        > I am quite tempted by the OKI C3200 which is under £200 and does 12ppm
        > colour as it is one-pass printer (rather than the usual 4-pass) but
        > I've since been leaning toward the Samsung CLP-510 which is slower
        > (and much bigger) but is higher quality and has a built-in duplex with
        > "booklet mode" ideal for zines. It costs about £220 and the carts are
        > expensive but long-lasting. I have seen some negative comments about
        > it on the net regarding the "smart chips" in the colour carts which
        > allegedly indicate that they are spent too soon and prevent further
        > printing.

        More to the point, smart chips make it harder (tho' not impossible) to
        do toner refills. I'm sure I'm teaching granny to suck eggs here, but
        re-using toner carts is a good way of cutting costs - you can refill a
        typical cart at least 3 times before it knacks. I've been happy with the
        price & service I've had from U Refill (www.refilltoner.com) for
        refilling my b&w laser, although I'm sure there are other firms out
        there, maybe even some a smidgen cheaper. Their website currently lists
        the Samsung CLP-510 refills at £27.49 to £32.49 ex VAT per colour - not
        sure how that compares to buying new.
        --
        Peter Sullivan <peter@...>
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21, 2006
          Hi Peter,

          That's very useful information as I didn't think you could refill "smart carts" at all.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 13, 2006
            As I mentioned before, I was considering the Samsung CLP-510 colour
            http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2033

            but I ended up buying a fast, economical mono with high print quality, decent memory and duplex. The new Kyocera FS-1030D.
            http://trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2560

            In the end I felt the running costs of a colour were a bit too high (even using refills) especially given Variable Pig's fat size (ca. 52 pages) and most models are a rather too big for my little spare room. So I wimped out. I wonder if any other zine eds *will* go for it?