Mission From God (reprise)

  • Howard Bishop
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2006
      Having finally discovered that I wasn't receiving messages from this
      group because of a "soft bounce" on my email, I managed to get back in
      and came across some references to the death of the 'zine poll and MfG.

      The 'zine poll was probably inevitable, but the latter was slightly
      ironic since I've had 3 requests for The Tangerine Terror from new
      subscribers in the last 6 months based on the MfG listings.

      A comment from the latest correspondent was that it was still "a great
      resource, but you needed to pick your way through the piles of folded
      corpses". John, do you have the stamina to delete references to the
      terminated 'zines on your website?

      Cheers
      Howard
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
        Mission From God

        I'm prepared to redo the whole thing on the Fiendish web site if I can get
        a definitive list of who is still publishing now.

        What I suggest is that every editor reading this starts off by posting the
        names of zines they know to be still publishing. Ideally, they should also
        publish the e-mail address of each editor, albeit in the now accepted
        spam-killing form of "joe.bloggs of isp.co.uk" format, so that I can
        contact the editor and get the basic details: price, frequency, page
        count, issue number, editor's address, games run.

        I've given up hope of getting reviews these days.

        Off the top of my head I can think of the following Uk zines:

        Bloodstock
        Variable Pig
        Obsidian
        The Tangerine Terror
        Greatest Hits
        The Cunning Plan
        Ode
        For Whom the Die Rolls
        Minstrel
        The Blue Nose Special
        To Win Just Once
        Striker
        Hopscotch United

        Is WIMM still going? Is Serendipity officially dead? Ditto Borealis?

        Cheers,

        John

        P.S. Had a recent contact from someone asking if Brian Dolton was still
        around; is anyone in contact with him?

        --
        Fiendish Board Games - makers of games in the German style.
        Breaking Away, Office Politics and Traffic Lights.
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
          John,

          Are you only interested in printed zines or are you after electronic ones too? Devolution
          and Dane's Games (both email) are still going strong and Will It Lead to Trouble? has made
          an impressive comeback (graphic-rich PDF contact andymansfield@... for a sample
          copy).

          Richard

          P.S. WIMM? is still alive and kicking :-)

        • hbishop@tiscali.co.uk
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
            Hi John,

            Good stuff, although you may regret your offer. Maybe you can move all the
            folded 'zines into a single cemetery page with the last known issue number.

            The following 'zines are also still trading
            - Geneva (a home for orphaned Dip games, ed. Stuart Eves : seves in the domain
            of tiscali.co.uk)
            - Jack Duckworth's Alternate Universe (ed. Simon Ives : don't have his email
            address to hand)

            There are also a couple of 18xx 'zines that I know are still active. I don't
            subscribe, but I know Keith Thomasson does, so he should be able to help
            you out with contact details :
            - Save Your xxs For Me (issue 25)
            - ...mais n'est-ce pas la gare? (issue 59)

            Are we talking UK 'zines only? If not, you can add the following
            - Damn The Consequences (ed. Brendan Whyte moved from Oz to Israel : bwhyte
            in the domain of mscc.huji.ac.il)
            - Western Front (eZine ed. Brad Martin : westfront in the domain of westnet.com.au
            I think this is correct)

            Cheers
            Howard

            Tiscali Broadband from 14.99 with free setup!
          • Richard Gooch
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 10, 2006
              Guys ...

              Diversions is not yet dead. It awaits revival from a
              regrettably lengthy coma. I committed to an Easter restart
              some time ago, and this remains do-able.

              Rip G

              Upgrade your account today for increased storage; mail
              forwarding or POP enabled e-mail with automatic virus
              scanning. Visit our member benefits page at
              https://members.canada.com/benefits.aspx for more
              information.
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 11, 2006
                Printed or electronic is fine by me, so long as they are recognisably
                ziney - by which I mean, downloadable as a single entity.

                John

                --
                Fiendish Board Games - makers of games in the German style.
                Breaking Away, Office Politics and Traffic Lights.
                http://www.fbgames.co.uk
              • Rob Thomasson
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 11, 2006
                  WIMM? is indeed still alive - less kicking but then David was besotted when
                  he did the most recent issue ...

                  Dane's Games' last list of electronic (only or also paper) zines was as
                  below. Minstrel should be in there but I need to remember to tell Dane
                  that.

                  Rob

                  "... mais n'est-ce pas la gare?"
                  Editor: Steve Thomas (maisnestce*OF*aol.com).
                  Frequency: monthly.
                  Latest issue: #59, 18/02/06.
                  Format: PDF.
                  Runs: 18xx.

                  "Devolution"
                  Editor: Tony Robbins (tony*OF*hollowell.plus.com).
                  Frequency: usually appears every 2 months.
                  Latest issue: #58, 05/01/06.
                  Format: Plain-text email.
                  Runs: Railway Rivals, Bus Boss.

                  "Diversions"
                  Editor: Rip Gooch (rippingpubs*OF*yahoo.ca).
                  Frequency: About every 5 weeks.
                  Format: Word document.
                  Runs: Railway Rivals and variants, Awful Green Things, Maneater.

                  "The Blue Nose Special"
                  Editor: John Colledge (dunorroch*OF*dsl.pipex.com).
                  Frequency: usually appears every 5 weeks.
                  Format: Word document.
                  Runs: A wide variety of games.

                  "To Win Just Once" (also available as a paper zine)
                  Editor: Paul Evans (paul*OF*pevans.co.uk).
                  Frequency: About every 5 weeks.
                  Format: PDF (www.pevans.co.uk/TWJO) and HTML.
                  Runs: En Garde!, Railway Rivals and Star Trader.

                  "Variable Pig" (also available as a paper zine)
                  Editor: Jim Reader (to subscribe, send a blank email to
                  variablepig-subscribe*OF*yahoogroups.co.uk).
                  Frequency: 5-6 issues per year.
                  Latest issue: #101, 23/01/06.
                  Format: PDF file downloadable from http://www.sholing.force9.co.uk
                  Subscribers are notified of new issues by email.
                  Runs: A wide variety of games.

                  "Western Front"
                  Editor: Brad Martin (westfront*OF*hotmail.com).
                  Frequency: About every 6 weeks.
                  Latest issue: #78, 06/02/06.
                  Format: Word document.
                  Runs: A wide variety of games.

                  "Will It Lead to Trouble!?"
                  Editor: Andy Mansfield (andymansfield*OF*btinternet.com).
                  Frequency: Monthly.
                  Format: PDF (approx 3MB).
                  Runs: Diplomacy (and probably other games eventually).

                  "Dane's Games"
                  Editor: Dane Maslen (dane.maslen*OF*virgin.net).
                  Frequency: Every 4-5 weeks.
                  Format: HTML-format email.
                  Runs: Outpost plus various mass-participation games (e.g. By Popular
                  Demand).
                  Website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/danemaslen/danesgames has back
                  issues.

                  --
                  Fiendish Board Games - makers of games in the German style.
                  Breaking Away, Office Politics and Traffic Lights.
                  http://www.fbgames.co.uk

                • Peter Sullivan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 15, 2006
                    John Harrington wrote:

                    >I've given up hope of getting reviews these days.

                    John - please feel free to re-use any of the reviews I've done for the
                    fanzine Pixel #1, now available on the web at:
                    http://www.efanzines.com/CPG/
                    (The editor asked me to do "some fanzine reviews" which I intepreted as
                    including postal games zines as well as SF fanzines.)
                    The reviews of the postal games zines aren't quite in canonical MfG
                    format (no seperate list of games running & waiting lists, for example)
                    but are pretty close.
                    --
                    Peter Sullivan <peter@...>