Zine Poll

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 18, 2005
      Dear all,

      Sorry for the late announcement of this. I was holding off making a
      final decision until MidCon.

      I will not be running the Zine Poll this year. Someone else may take
      over and if they do I can forward them Keith Thomasson's Excel
      spreadsheet, which proved invaluable in totting up the numbers in
      previous years; these days, probably all you'd need is fingers, thumbs
      and maybe the toes of one foot.

      If there are any editors reading this, please publicise my decision.
      Feel free to castigate me for the late announcement.

      Regards,

      John
    • Bruce Edwards
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 27, 2005
        Hi

        I'm sure there are others out there who could say more on this but anyway...

        I haven't been around the zine scene that long but would like to thank John for arranging, organising and counting the Zine Poll over the last few years.
        Imho, I think the time is right to stop the poll, as it seems there are fewer zines around - and so it is likely the ones with the highest readership will be the ones scoring best.

        I guess the same is true for MfG too, so thanks again to John for keeping up (as best he could) with all the zines starting and folding while trying to write something about the zines to try and attract new subbers!

        Bruce

      • Peter Sullivan
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 27, 2005
          Bruce Edwards wrote:

          > I haven't been around the zine scene that long but would like to thank
          > John for arranging, organising and counting the Zine Poll over the
          > last few years.
          > Imho, I think the time is right to stop the poll, as it seems there
          > are fewer zines around - and so it is likely the ones with the highest
          > readership will be the ones scoring best.

          To me, the main reason to stop the Zine Poll is simply the lack of
          voters, rather than lack of zeens. Anyone who does want to put a case
          forward for keeping it going needs, IMHO, to suggest how to address that
          first.

          > I guess the same is true for MfG too, so thanks again to John for
          > keeping up (as best he could) with all the zines starting and folding
          > while trying to write something about the zines to try and attract new
          > subbers!

          I'm not so sure the case for stopping Mission from God is as strong.
          Firstly, it doesn't have such a need for "critical mass" as the poll -
          really just a keen editor plus a few hangers-on to contribute outside
          reviews is all it takes to keep it going. And it's a useful resource,
          even if not for as many people as it used to be. Regardless of new
          blood, I can see it being of interest for returnees - of which there may
          be increasing numbers as the old guard of the 1970s come up to
          retirement (early or otherwise) and idly enter "postal diplomacy" into a
          web search engine one day...

          --
          Peter Sullivan <peter@...>