A couple of questions ...

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2005
      Firstly, I was wondering if any zine eds have gone for one of those cheap colour lasers that are around now? For example OKI do a single-pass (so quick) colour laser for under £300. Currently I have two printers, a Samsung ML-6050 mono laser which is getting on a bit but is very frugal to run, and an el cheapo Canon S330 inkjet which I use for colour zine covers and CD labels (it is mind-boggling slow). So perhaps an inexpensive colour laser would be the ideal replacement for both?

      My second question is about the phrase "knob on the table". It came up again in Variable Pig 96, and I find myself unable to remember if it is a "real" phrase or a "Cretism". By a Cretism I mean something used only by the venerable "Crets" ex-Warwick University gang which includes myself and Jim Reader. When gaming, it is used to represent a death-or-glory victory attempt. My Tuesday night games group also use it, particularly to describe a bold game or slam bid in Bridge.

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8, 2005
        On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 23:08:36 +0100, Richard Smith
        <richard@...> wrote:

        > Firstly, I was wondering if any zine eds have gone for one of those
        > cheap colour
        > lasers that are around now? For example OKI do a single-pass (so quick)
        > colour
        > laser for under £300. Currently I have two printers, a Samsung ML-6050
        > mono
        > laser which is getting on a bit but is very frugal to run, and an el
        > cheapo
        > Canon S330 inkjet which I use for colour zine covers and CD labels (it
        > is mind-boggling
        > slow). So perhaps an inexpensive colour laser would be the ideal
        > replacement for
        > both?

        I've been considering a colour laser too. This deal looks fairly
        enticing: http://www.misco.co.uk/cntnt/emailarchive/ww267.htm - a colour
        laser for 250 quid.

        My problem is the occasional need to print A3.

        I'd be interested to hear anyone's views on the quality of the colour
        printing, and also the running costs.

        > My second question is about the phrase "knob on the table". It came up

        Sounds similar to the expression, "balls out" as in "going balls-out for a
        win".

        Fiendish Board Games - makers of Breaking Away, Office Politics and
        Traffic Lights.
        www.fbgames.co.uk - we accept PayPal