Re: [ukpbm] Zine Poll Result

  • Bruce Edwards
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 24, 2005
      Imho - the votes will, eventually, drop to a level where the zine with the most subscribers will win every time!
      Thus, zine 'A' who has a circulation of 30/40 people should gather more votes than zine 'B' with 15/20 subbers - even if you assume
      not all the players vote.

      Also, if 10 subbers of zine 'B' also play in zine 'A', then numbers drop again.
      Having said that, I think zine editors are realistic enough to realise that winning the poll these days is not the achievement it once was, although the quality and content of all the zines remains at a remarkably high standard, and there are very few drop-outs from games too - something that cannot always be said of 'professional' game sites!!

      Most editors sent out forms, but, like deadlines, I expect many missed their chance to vote by waiting until the last minute then forgetting! (Hangs head shamefully)

      However, if players do vote, and someone (ie John) is willing to act as teller, then why should the poll not continue?
      The only question I would have is whether the scoring system should be reconsidered, given the small number of voters?? Although, that leads back to my original point... the zine with the biggest circulation should (in theory) get the most votes however you score it!!

      I think congratulations are due to ALL the hard-working zine editors for all the fun they continue to provide for all of us!!

      B.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2005
        --- In ukpbm@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Edwards" <kactusjak@n...> wrote:
        > Imho - the votes will, eventually, drop to a level where the zine
        with the most subscribers will win every time!
        > Thus, zine 'A' who has a circulation of 30/40 people should gather
        more votes than zine 'B' with 15/20 subbers - even if you assume
        > not all the players vote.

        __________
        I've not got any problem with an inherent bias to zines with big
        circulations. Punters voting with their subs is probably more
        significant than voting in a poll.
        voted in the Zine Poll and send them reminders; I did that for the
        2003 poll and rustled up an extra 8 or 9 votes that way.
        __________
        > However, if players do vote, and someone (ie John) is willing to
        act as teller, then why should the poll not continue?
        > The only question I would have is whether the scoring system
        should be reconsidered, given the small number of voters?? Although,
        that leads back to my original point... the zine with the biggest
        circulation should (in theory) get the most votes however you score
        it!!

        If I do run the poll again this year then I will change the voting
        system. There can hardly be anyone - even editors - who sees 10
        zines these days! Something like a top 3 should suffice, though we
        might need to retain some sort of weighted matrix (i.e. variable
        pts. scored per position depending on how many zines a voter votes
        for) to ward off the prospect of ties.