RE: [ukpbm] Zine Poll Result

  • Howard Bishop
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 24, 2005
      I can't help thinking that the low number of votes was a self-fulfilling
      prophesy. There were so many doom and gloom emails preceding it that many
      people will have just failed to turn out. I don't think the number of people
      who could have voted has halved since last time; I didn't help matters by
      failing to include a voting form with the 'zine and I didn't actually vote
      for the first time.

      In terms of the outcome, The Tangerine Terror has moved up a couple of
      (completely unjustified) places in the rankings which shows that the small
      number of votes is distorting the results. My estimation is that TTT
      shouldn't (by any measure you can think of) be in the top 10 (a
      Housemartinsesque Fourth Best Zine In High Wycombe).

      For what it's worth, I think that we should keep it going while there are
      still people who are willing to register a vote (almost regardless of how
      small that number is). I would hope to make a better showing in terms of
      promotion in TTT next time around.

      Thanks to John for collating the results and publishing the scores.

      This message contains privileged and confidential information intended only
      for the use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended
      recipient of this message, or the employee or agent responsible for
      delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
      dissemination or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
      have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by
      return electronic mail and delete the original message without retaining a
      copy.

    • Bruce Edwards
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 24, 2005
        Imho - the votes will, eventually, drop to a level where the zine with the most subscribers will win every time!
        Thus, zine 'A' who has a circulation of 30/40 people should gather more votes than zine 'B' with 15/20 subbers - even if you assume
        not all the players vote.

        Also, if 10 subbers of zine 'B' also play in zine 'A', then numbers drop again.
        Having said that, I think zine editors are realistic enough to realise that winning the poll these days is not the achievement it once was, although the quality and content of all the zines remains at a remarkably high standard, and there are very few drop-outs from games too - something that cannot always be said of 'professional' game sites!!

        Most editors sent out forms, but, like deadlines, I expect many missed their chance to vote by waiting until the last minute then forgetting! (Hangs head shamefully)

        However, if players do vote, and someone (ie John) is willing to act as teller, then why should the poll not continue?
        The only question I would have is whether the scoring system should be reconsidered, given the small number of voters?? Although, that leads back to my original point... the zine with the biggest circulation should (in theory) get the most votes however you score it!!

        I think congratulations are due to ALL the hard-working zine editors for all the fun they continue to provide for all of us!!

        B.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2005
          --- In ukpbm@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Edwards" <kactusjak@n...> wrote:
          > Imho - the votes will, eventually, drop to a level where the zine
          with the most subscribers will win every time!
          > Thus, zine 'A' who has a circulation of 30/40 people should gather
          more votes than zine 'B' with 15/20 subbers - even if you assume
          > not all the players vote.

          __________
          I've not got any problem with an inherent bias to zines with big
          circulations. Punters voting with their subs is probably more
          significant than voting in a poll.
          voted in the Zine Poll and send them reminders; I did that for the
          2003 poll and rustled up an extra 8 or 9 votes that way.
          __________
          > However, if players do vote, and someone (ie John) is willing to
          act as teller, then why should the poll not continue?
          > The only question I would have is whether the scoring system
          should be reconsidered, given the small number of voters?? Although,
          that leads back to my original point... the zine with the biggest
          circulation should (in theory) get the most votes however you score
          it!!

          If I do run the poll again this year then I will change the voting
          system. There can hardly be anyone - even editors - who sees 10
          zines these days! Something like a top 3 should suffice, though we
          might need to retain some sort of weighted matrix (i.e. variable
          pts. scored per position depending on how many zines a voter votes
          for) to ward off the prospect of ties.