Zine Poll Result

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 23, 2005
      My apologies once again for the tardiness of the announcement of these
      results.

      The winner of the 2004 Zine Poll is For Whom The Die Rolls.
      Conratulations to Keith on his retention of the title. The number of
      voters was a disappointingly low 27, which is less than half the
      number we had last year. I realise my publicity campaign was a bit
      lacklustre this year, particularly at MidCon where I normally manage
      to rustle up 20 or so votes (this year: none!), but even so, I think
      50 is a bare minimum turn-out to keep the poll viable. Discuss.

      Full details of the results are on http://fbgames.co
      uk/words/zinepoll04.htm

      John Harrington
    • Howard Bishop
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 24, 2005
        I can't help thinking that the low number of votes was a self-fulfilling
        prophesy. There were so many doom and gloom emails preceding it that many
        people will have just failed to turn out. I don't think the number of people
        who could have voted has halved since last time; I didn't help matters by
        failing to include a voting form with the 'zine and I didn't actually vote
        for the first time.

        In terms of the outcome, The Tangerine Terror has moved up a couple of
        (completely unjustified) places in the rankings which shows that the small
        number of votes is distorting the results. My estimation is that TTT
        shouldn't (by any measure you can think of) be in the top 10 (a
        Housemartinsesque Fourth Best Zine In High Wycombe).

        For what it's worth, I think that we should keep it going while there are
        still people who are willing to register a vote (almost regardless of how
        small that number is). I would hope to make a better showing in terms of
        promotion in TTT next time around.

        Thanks to John for collating the results and publishing the scores.

        This message contains privileged and confidential information intended only
        for the use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended
        recipient of this message, or the employee or agent responsible for
        delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
        dissemination or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
        have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by
        return electronic mail and delete the original message without retaining a
        copy.

      • Bruce Edwards
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 24, 2005
          Imho - the votes will, eventually, drop to a level where the zine with the most subscribers will win every time!
          Thus, zine 'A' who has a circulation of 30/40 people should gather more votes than zine 'B' with 15/20 subbers - even if you assume
          not all the players vote.

          Also, if 10 subbers of zine 'B' also play in zine 'A', then numbers drop again.
          Having said that, I think zine editors are realistic enough to realise that winning the poll these days is not the achievement it once was, although the quality and content of all the zines remains at a remarkably high standard, and there are very few drop-outs from games too - something that cannot always be said of 'professional' game sites!!

          Most editors sent out forms, but, like deadlines, I expect many missed their chance to vote by waiting until the last minute then forgetting! (Hangs head shamefully)

          However, if players do vote, and someone (ie John) is willing to act as teller, then why should the poll not continue?
          The only question I would have is whether the scoring system should be reconsidered, given the small number of voters?? Although, that leads back to my original point... the zine with the biggest circulation should (in theory) get the most votes however you score it!!

          I think congratulations are due to ALL the hard-working zine editors for all the fun they continue to provide for all of us!!

          B.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 26, 2005
            --- In ukpbm@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Edwards" <kactusjak@n...> wrote:
            > Imho - the votes will, eventually, drop to a level where the zine
            with the most subscribers will win every time!
            > Thus, zine 'A' who has a circulation of 30/40 people should gather
            more votes than zine 'B' with 15/20 subbers - even if you assume
            > not all the players vote.

            __________
            I've not got any problem with an inherent bias to zines with big
            circulations. Punters voting with their subs is probably more
            significant than voting in a poll.
            voted in the Zine Poll and send them reminders; I did that for the
            2003 poll and rustled up an extra 8 or 9 votes that way.
            __________
            > However, if players do vote, and someone (ie John) is willing to
            act as teller, then why should the poll not continue?
            > The only question I would have is whether the scoring system
            should be reconsidered, given the small number of voters?? Although,
            that leads back to my original point... the zine with the biggest
            circulation should (in theory) get the most votes however you score
            it!!

            If I do run the poll again this year then I will change the voting
            system. There can hardly be anyone - even editors - who sees 10
            zines these days! Something like a top 3 should suffice, though we
            might need to retain some sort of weighted matrix (i.e. variable
            pts. scored per position depending on how many zines a voter votes
            for) to ward off the prospect of ties.