Re: Zines

  • Keith Thomasson
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 3, 2004
      Last year's poll came up with 40 listed zines, and a lot of those
      that have so far not been mentioned were United zines - none of which
      I see, I should add. The UK zines I do see are:

      Bleeder
      Bloodstcok
      Cut & Thrust (published more than four issues this year, so still
      eligible!)
      Devolution (e-mail)
      Greatest Hits
      Hopscotch
      ...mais n'est-ce pas la gare?
      Minstrel
      Ode
      Ratadan/Pigbutton - but I believe this has ceased
      Save All Your xxs For Me (new since the last poll, and up to issue 7
      or 8)
      The Tangerine Terror
      Variable Pig

      Oh yes, I also see For Whom The Die Rolls from time to time.

      John Harrington clarified last year that e-mail zines that are
      basically regular zines distributed by e-mail rather than post count
      towards the zine poll, whereas web sites with content that is updated
      on an as-required basis belong to the web site poll.

      If I remember the history of the poll, whatever the scoring system
      was, some people didn't like it, and it will always be so, however
      long the poll continues. A variety of scoring systems have been
      tried over the years. Whatever system is being used, it gives an
      indication of how people perceive what they do receive, and a
      shrinking hobby doesn't make those results less relevant when
      comparing the results, there's just less of them.

      If the average number of zines seen is around five as someone
      suggested, then the average vote for first place under the current
      system will be reflected by that.

      As far as I'm concerned, if someone is willing to run the poll, why
      should there be any reason to stop running it? It's when people can't
      be bothered to vote that it becomes pointless.

      Keith
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2005
        Mainly for my own amusement I have started putting up PDFs of some very old
        zines indeed on a new web site.

        http://www.postaldiplomacy.org.uk

        If there are any particular old zines you would like to see let me know.

        I would like to put a page up there with links to those zines which still
        exist - postal addresses etc. Any editor have their current trade list to
        hand so I can do a cut and paste.

        Regards

        Stephen