RE: Zines

    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
      I haven't seen WIMM for about a year.

      Does anyone have old issues they can send for the archive - and what's
      David's address so I can send him a sub?

      Regards

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
        Stephen,

        I can supply the back issues - I'll send you Dave's postal and email details in a private
        mail.

        Of course you and Dave have had a few little differences over the years, which I gently
        parodied on an old SMEG cover...

        http://www.sholing.force9.co.uk/beginning.jpg

        > Does anyone have old issues they can send for the archive - and what's
        > David's address so I can send him a sub?
        >
        > Regards
        >

        > Stephen

      • Keith Thomasson
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 3, 2004
          Last year's poll came up with 40 listed zines, and a lot of those
          that have so far not been mentioned were United zines - none of which
          I see, I should add. The UK zines I do see are:

          Bleeder
          Bloodstcok
          Cut & Thrust (published more than four issues this year, so still
          eligible!)
          Devolution (e-mail)
          Greatest Hits
          Hopscotch
          ...mais n'est-ce pas la gare?
          Minstrel
          Ode
          Ratadan/Pigbutton - but I believe this has ceased
          Save All Your xxs For Me (new since the last poll, and up to issue 7
          or 8)
          The Tangerine Terror
          Variable Pig

          Oh yes, I also see For Whom The Die Rolls from time to time.

          John Harrington clarified last year that e-mail zines that are
          basically regular zines distributed by e-mail rather than post count
          towards the zine poll, whereas web sites with content that is updated
          on an as-required basis belong to the web site poll.

          If I remember the history of the poll, whatever the scoring system
          was, some people didn't like it, and it will always be so, however
          long the poll continues. A variety of scoring systems have been
          tried over the years. Whatever system is being used, it gives an
          indication of how people perceive what they do receive, and a
          shrinking hobby doesn't make those results less relevant when
          comparing the results, there's just less of them.

          If the average number of zines seen is around five as someone
          suggested, then the average vote for first place under the current
          system will be reflected by that.

          As far as I'm concerned, if someone is willing to run the poll, why
          should there be any reason to stop running it? It's when people can't
          be bothered to vote that it becomes pointless.

          Keith
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2005
            Mainly for my own amusement I have started putting up PDFs of some very old
            zines indeed on a new web site.

            http://www.postaldiplomacy.org.uk

            If there are any particular old zines you would like to see let me know.

            I would like to put a page up there with links to those zines which still
            exist - postal addresses etc. Any editor have their current trade list to
            hand so I can do a cut and paste.

            Regards

            Stephen