Re: [ukpbm] Zines

    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 30, 2004
      On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:36:44 +0100, Bruce Edwards <kactusjak@...>
      wrote:

      > Hmm - Keith upset someone did he?
      > Surely you can't forget FWTDR?

      I didn't forget it; I just don't receive it. All of the ones I listed I
      ostensibly trade with or they provide me with copies for the Zine Bank.

      _________________
      Fiendish Board Games - makers of Breaking Away, Office Politics and
      Traffic Lights.
      www.fbgames.co.uk - we accept PayPal
    • John and Denny Colledge
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
        John, it sounds as if I may not have been paying attention.....again! I
        understood that Steve was receiving TBNS so it could be added to the Zine
        Bank. If you are now looking after the Zine Bank, would you like me to add
        you to the distribution list?

        Cheers!

        John

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
          I am still maintaining the Archive - though the amount of space they take up
          is ridiculous. At least they are all sorted into folders in alphabetical
          order now. I have contemplated scanning them and only keeping digital
          copies, but the task is so large, where would I start?

          If necessary, I will sub to any zine to save copies for posterity.

          Is WIMM? still going by the way.

          Stephen

          yahoo.com] On Behalf Of John and Denny Colledge
          Sent: 31 October 2004 09:12
          To: ukpbm@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [ukpbm] Zines

          John, it sounds as if I may not have been paying attention.....again! I
          understood that Steve was receiving TBNS so it could be added to the Zine
          Bank. If you are now looking after the Zine Bank, would you like me to add
          you to the distribution list?

          Cheers!

          John

          On 30/10/04 4:42 pm, "John Harrington" <fiendish@...> wrote:

          > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:36:44 +0100, Bruce Edwards <kactusjak@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >> Hmm - Keith upset someone did he?
          >> Surely you can't forget FWTDR?
          >

          > I didn't forget it; I just don't receive it. All of the ones I listed I
          > ostensibly trade with or they provide me with copies for the Zine Bank.
          >

          > John

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
            On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:11:48 +0000, John and Denny Colledge
            <dunorroch@...> wrote:

            > John, it sounds as if I may not have been paying attention.....again! I
            > understood that Steve was receiving TBNS so it could be added to the Zine
            > Bank. If you are now looking after the Zine Bank, would you like me to
            > add
            > you to the distribution list?

            Steve needs copies of every zine for the Zine Archive, or some such. I
            need the odd zine for the Zine Bank so that when someone writes asking for
            info (had one this month, but the first in about 3 or 4 months) I can send
            a decent selection. So, you don't need to send me every issue but a few
            samples a year would be fine. Of course, if it is purely an e-mail zine
            then you might as well send me a copy!

            _________________
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
              WIMM? Is still going strong. David Oya is the "host" and the two subzines "TINAS" (Allan
              Stagg) and "Calafia's Island" (Conrad von Metzke) provide the games. Conrad was running
              down his subzine (and TINAS has a big waiting list full of games that just need one or two
              more players), so things were looking a bit down, but Conrad has decided to take early
              retirement which means he has plenty of time to run some more RR games - hooray!

              I have to agree with Howard that there are quite a few zines still doing very well.
              Hopscotch has passed 200 issues and is still a great zine (though I've never liked the
              "gatefold" presentation). Variable Pig (Jim Reader's zine which contains my subzine "The
              Universe is a Pink Blancmange called Simon") is on a roll at the moment - issue 94 has
              just been sent out which makes 3 issues in 5 months - woo-hoo! It's also gaining subbers
              and there are lots of new games including my own 45-player Usurppesque "Survival".

              I do only get 5 zines at the moment, which is probably about average (?) and does suggest
              the voting method should be changed. The others are Jack Duckworth's Alternate Universe (5
              million for Kezman? I must be mad - at least I didn't buy Mutu) and Howard's Titty, which
              alas is struggling. Howard's invented / adapted a whole heap of games but is suffering
              from free time problems so many of them may never see the light of day. Shame!

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                I haven't seen WIMM for about a year.

                Does anyone have old issues they can send for the archive - and what's
                David's address so I can send him a sub?

                Regards

                Stephen

                > I am still maintaining the Archive - though the amount of space they take
                up
                > is ridiculous. At least they are all sorted into folders in alphabetical
                > order now. I have contemplated scanning them and only keeping digital
                > copies, but the task is so large, where would I start?
                >
                > If necessary, I will sub to any zine to save copies for posterity.
                >
                > Is WIMM? still going by the way.
                >
                > Stephen

                Yahoo! Groups Links
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                  Stephen,

                  I can supply the back issues - I'll send you Dave's postal and email details in a private
                  mail.

                  Of course you and Dave have had a few little differences over the years, which I gently
                  parodied on an old SMEG cover...

                  http://www.sholing.force9.co.uk/beginning.jpg

                  > Does anyone have old issues they can send for the archive - and what's
                  > David's address so I can send him a sub?
                  >
                  > Regards
                  >

                  > Stephen

                • Keith Thomasson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 3, 2004
                    Last year's poll came up with 40 listed zines, and a lot of those
                    that have so far not been mentioned were United zines - none of which
                    I see, I should add. The UK zines I do see are:

                    Bleeder
                    Bloodstcok
                    Cut & Thrust (published more than four issues this year, so still
                    eligible!)
                    Devolution (e-mail)
                    Greatest Hits
                    Hopscotch
                    ...mais n'est-ce pas la gare?
                    Minstrel
                    Ode
                    Ratadan/Pigbutton - but I believe this has ceased
                    Save All Your xxs For Me (new since the last poll, and up to issue 7
                    or 8)
                    The Tangerine Terror
                    Variable Pig

                    Oh yes, I also see For Whom The Die Rolls from time to time.

                    John Harrington clarified last year that e-mail zines that are
                    basically regular zines distributed by e-mail rather than post count
                    towards the zine poll, whereas web sites with content that is updated
                    on an as-required basis belong to the web site poll.

                    If I remember the history of the poll, whatever the scoring system
                    was, some people didn't like it, and it will always be so, however
                    long the poll continues. A variety of scoring systems have been
                    tried over the years. Whatever system is being used, it gives an
                    indication of how people perceive what they do receive, and a
                    shrinking hobby doesn't make those results less relevant when
                    comparing the results, there's just less of them.

                    If the average number of zines seen is around five as someone
                    suggested, then the average vote for first place under the current
                    system will be reflected by that.

                    As far as I'm concerned, if someone is willing to run the poll, why
                    should there be any reason to stop running it? It's when people can't
                    be bothered to vote that it becomes pointless.

                    Keith
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 2, 2005
                      Mainly for my own amusement I have started putting up PDFs of some very old
                      zines indeed on a new web site.

                      http://www.postaldiplomacy.org.uk

                      If there are any particular old zines you would like to see let me know.

                      I would like to put a page up there with links to those zines which still
                      exist - postal addresses etc. Any editor have their current trade list to
                      hand so I can do a cut and paste.

                      Regards

                      Stephen