Re: [ukpbm] Zines

  • John and Denny Colledge
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 30, 2004
      Eeem! You could add TBNS to that list, or does it not count if it's sent by
      e-mail? Or should I get upset because you receive it but don't actually open
      it, therefore technically you are not "seeing" it? :-)

      TBNS appeared on the list last year so I guess it should be included.

      Cheers!

      John

      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 30, 2004
        On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:36:44 +0100, Bruce Edwards <kactusjak@...>
        wrote:

        > Hmm - Keith upset someone did he?
        > Surely you can't forget FWTDR?

        I didn't forget it; I just don't receive it. All of the ones I listed I
        ostensibly trade with or they provide me with copies for the Zine Bank.

        _________________
        Fiendish Board Games - makers of Breaking Away, Office Politics and
        Traffic Lights.
        www.fbgames.co.uk - we accept PayPal
      • John and Denny Colledge
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
          John, it sounds as if I may not have been paying attention.....again! I
          understood that Steve was receiving TBNS so it could be added to the Zine
          Bank. If you are now looking after the Zine Bank, would you like me to add
          you to the distribution list?

          Cheers!

          John

          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
            I am still maintaining the Archive - though the amount of space they take up
            is ridiculous. At least they are all sorted into folders in alphabetical
            order now. I have contemplated scanning them and only keeping digital
            copies, but the task is so large, where would I start?

            If necessary, I will sub to any zine to save copies for posterity.

            Is WIMM? still going by the way.

            Stephen

            yahoo.com] On Behalf Of John and Denny Colledge
            Sent: 31 October 2004 09:12
            To: ukpbm@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [ukpbm] Zines

            John, it sounds as if I may not have been paying attention.....again! I
            understood that Steve was receiving TBNS so it could be added to the Zine
            Bank. If you are now looking after the Zine Bank, would you like me to add
            you to the distribution list?

            Cheers!

            John

            On 30/10/04 4:42 pm, "John Harrington" <fiendish@...> wrote:

            > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:36:44 +0100, Bruce Edwards <kactusjak@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            >> Hmm - Keith upset someone did he?
            >> Surely you can't forget FWTDR?
            >

            > I didn't forget it; I just don't receive it. All of the ones I listed I
            > ostensibly trade with or they provide me with copies for the Zine Bank.
            >

            > John

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
              On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:11:48 +0000, John and Denny Colledge
              <dunorroch@...> wrote:

              > John, it sounds as if I may not have been paying attention.....again! I
              > understood that Steve was receiving TBNS so it could be added to the Zine
              > Bank. If you are now looking after the Zine Bank, would you like me to
              > add
              > you to the distribution list?

              Steve needs copies of every zine for the Zine Archive, or some such. I
              need the odd zine for the Zine Bank so that when someone writes asking for
              info (had one this month, but the first in about 3 or 4 months) I can send
              a decent selection. So, you don't need to send me every issue but a few
              samples a year would be fine. Of course, if it is purely an e-mail zine
              then you might as well send me a copy!

              _________________
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                WIMM? Is still going strong. David Oya is the "host" and the two subzines "TINAS" (Allan
                Stagg) and "Calafia's Island" (Conrad von Metzke) provide the games. Conrad was running
                down his subzine (and TINAS has a big waiting list full of games that just need one or two
                more players), so things were looking a bit down, but Conrad has decided to take early
                retirement which means he has plenty of time to run some more RR games - hooray!

                I have to agree with Howard that there are quite a few zines still doing very well.
                Hopscotch has passed 200 issues and is still a great zine (though I've never liked the
                "gatefold" presentation). Variable Pig (Jim Reader's zine which contains my subzine "The
                Universe is a Pink Blancmange called Simon") is on a roll at the moment - issue 94 has
                just been sent out which makes 3 issues in 5 months - woo-hoo! It's also gaining subbers
                and there are lots of new games including my own 45-player Usurppesque "Survival".

                I do only get 5 zines at the moment, which is probably about average (?) and does suggest
                the voting method should be changed. The others are Jack Duckworth's Alternate Universe (5
                million for Kezman? I must be mad - at least I didn't buy Mutu) and Howard's Titty, which
                alas is struggling. Howard's invented / adapted a whole heap of games but is suffering
                from free time problems so many of them may never see the light of day. Shame!

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                  I haven't seen WIMM for about a year.

                  Does anyone have old issues they can send for the archive - and what's
                  David's address so I can send him a sub?

                  Regards

                  Stephen

                  > I am still maintaining the Archive - though the amount of space they take
                  up
                  > is ridiculous. At least they are all sorted into folders in alphabetical
                  > order now. I have contemplated scanning them and only keeping digital
                  > copies, but the task is so large, where would I start?
                  >
                  > If necessary, I will sub to any zine to save copies for posterity.
                  >
                  > Is WIMM? still going by the way.
                  >
                  > Stephen

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                    Stephen,

                    I can supply the back issues - I'll send you Dave's postal and email details in a private
                    mail.

                    Of course you and Dave have had a few little differences over the years, which I gently
                    parodied on an old SMEG cover...

                    http://www.sholing.force9.co.uk/beginning.jpg

                    > Does anyone have old issues they can send for the archive - and what's
                    > David's address so I can send him a sub?
                    >
                    > Regards
                    >

                    > Stephen

                  • Keith Thomasson
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 3, 2004
                      Last year's poll came up with 40 listed zines, and a lot of those
                      that have so far not been mentioned were United zines - none of which
                      I see, I should add. The UK zines I do see are:

                      Bleeder
                      Bloodstcok
                      Cut & Thrust (published more than four issues this year, so still
                      eligible!)
                      Devolution (e-mail)
                      Greatest Hits
                      Hopscotch
                      ...mais n'est-ce pas la gare?
                      Minstrel
                      Ode
                      Ratadan/Pigbutton - but I believe this has ceased
                      Save All Your xxs For Me (new since the last poll, and up to issue 7
                      or 8)
                      The Tangerine Terror
                      Variable Pig

                      Oh yes, I also see For Whom The Die Rolls from time to time.

                      John Harrington clarified last year that e-mail zines that are
                      basically regular zines distributed by e-mail rather than post count
                      towards the zine poll, whereas web sites with content that is updated
                      on an as-required basis belong to the web site poll.

                      If I remember the history of the poll, whatever the scoring system
                      was, some people didn't like it, and it will always be so, however
                      long the poll continues. A variety of scoring systems have been
                      tried over the years. Whatever system is being used, it gives an
                      indication of how people perceive what they do receive, and a
                      shrinking hobby doesn't make those results less relevant when
                      comparing the results, there's just less of them.

                      If the average number of zines seen is around five as someone
                      suggested, then the average vote for first place under the current
                      system will be reflected by that.

                      As far as I'm concerned, if someone is willing to run the poll, why
                      should there be any reason to stop running it? It's when people can't
                      be bothered to vote that it becomes pointless.

                      Keith
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 2, 2005
                        Mainly for my own amusement I have started putting up PDFs of some very old
                        zines indeed on a new web site.

                        http://www.postaldiplomacy.org.uk

                        If there are any particular old zines you would like to see let me know.

                        I would like to put a page up there with links to those zines which still
                        exist - postal addresses etc. Any editor have their current trade list to
                        hand so I can do a cut and paste.

                        Regards

                        Stephen