Re: [ukpbm] Zines

  • Bruce Edwards
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 29, 2004

      From: fiendish@...
      To: ukpbm@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 11:18 AM
      Subject: RE: [ukpbm] Zines

      Thing
      Obsidian
      Sprouts (ostensibly)
      To Win Just Once

      From: Stephen Agar [mailto:stephen@...]
      Sent: Thu 28/10/2004 18:03
      To: ukpbm@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ukpbm] Zines

      How just mark all the zines you see out of ten and then add the scores
      together?

      Given there is so few zines left, that would do just fine.

      BTW - how many zines are left? Anyone care to post what zines they see and
      see if we can put a definitive list together?

      Err....

      Ode
      Obsidian
      TCP
      Tangerine Terror

      My mind's gone blank...

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 30, 2004
        Eeem! You could add TBNS to that list, or does it not count if it's sent by
        e-mail? Or should I get upset because you receive it but don't actually open
        it, therefore technically you are not "seeing" it? :-)

        TBNS appeared on the list last year so I guess it should be included.

        Cheers!

        John

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 30, 2004
          On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:36:44 +0100, Bruce Edwards <kactusjak@...>
          wrote:

          > Hmm - Keith upset someone did he?
          > Surely you can't forget FWTDR?

          I didn't forget it; I just don't receive it. All of the ones I listed I
          ostensibly trade with or they provide me with copies for the Zine Bank.

          _________________
          Fiendish Board Games - makers of Breaking Away, Office Politics and
          Traffic Lights.
          www.fbgames.co.uk - we accept PayPal
        • John and Denny Colledge
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
            John, it sounds as if I may not have been paying attention.....again! I
            understood that Steve was receiving TBNS so it could be added to the Zine
            Bank. If you are now looking after the Zine Bank, would you like me to add
            you to the distribution list?

            Cheers!

            John

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
              I am still maintaining the Archive - though the amount of space they take up
              is ridiculous. At least they are all sorted into folders in alphabetical
              order now. I have contemplated scanning them and only keeping digital
              copies, but the task is so large, where would I start?

              If necessary, I will sub to any zine to save copies for posterity.

              Is WIMM? still going by the way.

              Stephen

              yahoo.com] On Behalf Of John and Denny Colledge
              Sent: 31 October 2004 09:12
              To: ukpbm@yahoogroups.com

              John, it sounds as if I may not have been paying attention.....again! I
              understood that Steve was receiving TBNS so it could be added to the Zine
              Bank. If you are now looking after the Zine Bank, would you like me to add
              you to the distribution list?

              Cheers!

              John

              On 30/10/04 4:42 pm, "John Harrington" <fiendish@...> wrote:

              > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:36:44 +0100, Bruce Edwards <kactusjak@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              >> Hmm - Keith upset someone did he?
              >> Surely you can't forget FWTDR?
              >

              > I didn't forget it; I just don't receive it. All of the ones I listed I
              > ostensibly trade with or they provide me with copies for the Zine Bank.
              >

              > John

              Yahoo! Groups Links
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:11:48 +0000, John and Denny Colledge
                <dunorroch@...> wrote:

                > John, it sounds as if I may not have been paying attention.....again! I
                > understood that Steve was receiving TBNS so it could be added to the Zine
                > Bank. If you are now looking after the Zine Bank, would you like me to
                > add
                > you to the distribution list?

                Steve needs copies of every zine for the Zine Archive, or some such. I
                need the odd zine for the Zine Bank so that when someone writes asking for
                info (had one this month, but the first in about 3 or 4 months) I can send
                a decent selection. So, you don't need to send me every issue but a few
                samples a year would be fine. Of course, if it is purely an e-mail zine
                then you might as well send me a copy!

                _________________
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                  WIMM? Is still going strong. David Oya is the "host" and the two subzines "TINAS" (Allan
                  Stagg) and "Calafia's Island" (Conrad von Metzke) provide the games. Conrad was running
                  down his subzine (and TINAS has a big waiting list full of games that just need one or two
                  more players), so things were looking a bit down, but Conrad has decided to take early
                  retirement which means he has plenty of time to run some more RR games - hooray!

                  I have to agree with Howard that there are quite a few zines still doing very well.
                  Hopscotch has passed 200 issues and is still a great zine (though I've never liked the
                  "gatefold" presentation). Variable Pig (Jim Reader's zine which contains my subzine "The
                  Universe is a Pink Blancmange called Simon") is on a roll at the moment - issue 94 has
                  just been sent out which makes 3 issues in 5 months - woo-hoo! It's also gaining subbers
                  and there are lots of new games including my own 45-player Usurppesque "Survival".

                  I do only get 5 zines at the moment, which is probably about average (?) and does suggest
                  the voting method should be changed. The others are Jack Duckworth's Alternate Universe (5
                  million for Kezman? I must be mad - at least I didn't buy Mutu) and Howard's Titty, which
                  alas is struggling. Howard's invented / adapted a whole heap of games but is suffering
                  from free time problems so many of them may never see the light of day. Shame!

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                    I haven't seen WIMM for about a year.

                    Does anyone have old issues they can send for the archive - and what's
                    David's address so I can send him a sub?

                    Regards

                    Stephen

                    > I am still maintaining the Archive - though the amount of space they take
                    up
                    > is ridiculous. At least they are all sorted into folders in alphabetical
                    > order now. I have contemplated scanning them and only keeping digital
                    > copies, but the task is so large, where would I start?
                    >
                    > If necessary, I will sub to any zine to save copies for posterity.
                    >
                    > Is WIMM? still going by the way.
                    >
                    > Stephen

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                      Stephen,

                      I can supply the back issues - I'll send you Dave's postal and email details in a private
                      mail.

                      Of course you and Dave have had a few little differences over the years, which I gently
                      parodied on an old SMEG cover...

                      http://www.sholing.force9.co.uk/beginning.jpg

                      > Does anyone have old issues they can send for the archive - and what's
                      > David's address so I can send him a sub?
                      >
                      > Regards
                      >

                      > Stephen

                    • Keith Thomasson
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 3, 2004
                        Last year's poll came up with 40 listed zines, and a lot of those
                        that have so far not been mentioned were United zines - none of which
                        I see, I should add. The UK zines I do see are:

                        Bleeder
                        Bloodstcok
                        Cut & Thrust (published more than four issues this year, so still
                        eligible!)
                        Devolution (e-mail)
                        Greatest Hits
                        Hopscotch
                        ...mais n'est-ce pas la gare?
                        Minstrel
                        Ode
                        Ratadan/Pigbutton - but I believe this has ceased
                        Save All Your xxs For Me (new since the last poll, and up to issue 7
                        or 8)
                        The Tangerine Terror
                        Variable Pig

                        Oh yes, I also see For Whom The Die Rolls from time to time.

                        John Harrington clarified last year that e-mail zines that are
                        basically regular zines distributed by e-mail rather than post count
                        towards the zine poll, whereas web sites with content that is updated
                        on an as-required basis belong to the web site poll.

                        If I remember the history of the poll, whatever the scoring system
                        was, some people didn't like it, and it will always be so, however
                        long the poll continues. A variety of scoring systems have been
                        tried over the years. Whatever system is being used, it gives an
                        indication of how people perceive what they do receive, and a
                        shrinking hobby doesn't make those results less relevant when
                        comparing the results, there's just less of them.

                        If the average number of zines seen is around five as someone
                        suggested, then the average vote for first place under the current
                        system will be reflected by that.

                        As far as I'm concerned, if someone is willing to run the poll, why
                        should there be any reason to stop running it? It's when people can't
                        be bothered to vote that it becomes pointless.

                        Keith
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 2, 2005
                          Mainly for my own amusement I have started putting up PDFs of some very old
                          zines indeed on a new web site.

                          http://www.postaldiplomacy.org.uk

                          If there are any particular old zines you would like to see let me know.

                          I would like to put a page up there with links to those zines which still
                          exist - postal addresses etc. Any editor have their current trade list to
                          hand so I can do a cut and paste.

                          Regards

                          Stephen