Re: Digest Number 482

  • Mike Dean
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 28, 2004

      And the silence was deafening.... does anybody really care anymore?
      Perhaps I'm just the first one to actually say so.

      As far as voting mechanisms are concerned - why not just allow
      people to vote for their favourite, and their second favourite - 3
      points to the 1st and 1 point to the 2nd. Ratings any others after
      that seems pointless.
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 28, 2004
        How just mark all the zines you see out of ten and then add the scores
        together?

        Given there is so few zines left, that would do just fine.

        BTW - how many zines are left? Anyone care to post what zines they see and
        see if we can put a definitive list together?

        Err....

        Ode
        Obsidian
        TCP
        Tangerine Terror

        My mind's gone blank...

        Stephen

        And the silence was deafening.... does anybody really care anymore?
        Perhaps I'm just the first one to actually say so.

        As far as voting mechanisms are concerned - why not just allow
        people to vote for their favourite, and their second favourite - 3
        points to the 1st and 1 point to the 2nd. Ratings any others after
        that seems pointless.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • fiendish@blueyonder.co.uk
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 29, 2004
          Bloodstock
          GH
          Hopscotch
          Tangerine Terror
          Variable Pig
          TAP
          Thing
          Obsidian
          Sprouts (ostensibly)
          To Win Just Once

          And the silence was deafening.... does anybody really care anymore?
          Perhaps I'm just the first one to actually say so.

          As far as voting mechanisms are concerned - why not just allow
          people to vote for their favourite, and their second favourite - 3
          points to the 1st and 1 point to the 2nd. Ratings any others after
          that seems pointless.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129hiotne/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=1705057088:HM/EXP=1099069328/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12itn1285/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1098982928278860> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129hiotne/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=1705057088:HM/EXP=1099069328/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12itn1285/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1098982928278860>

          Get unlimited calls to

          U.S./Canada

          <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1098982928278860>
          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2343726/rand=857177838>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Bruce Edwards
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 29, 2004
            Hmm - Keith upset someone did he?
            Surely you can't forget FWTDR?

            Others I get:
            Bloodstock
            Ode
            Obsidian
            Tangerine Terror
            Variable Pig
            TAP

            B.

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 30, 2004
              Eeem! You could add TBNS to that list, or does it not count if it's sent by
              e-mail? Or should I get upset because you receive it but don't actually open
              it, therefore technically you are not "seeing" it? :-)

              TBNS appeared on the list last year so I guess it should be included.

              Cheers!

              John

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 30, 2004
                On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:36:44 +0100, Bruce Edwards <kactusjak@...>
                wrote:

                > Hmm - Keith upset someone did he?
                > Surely you can't forget FWTDR?

                I didn't forget it; I just don't receive it. All of the ones I listed I
                ostensibly trade with or they provide me with copies for the Zine Bank.

                _________________
                Fiendish Board Games - makers of Breaking Away, Office Politics and
                Traffic Lights.
                www.fbgames.co.uk - we accept PayPal
              • John and Denny Colledge
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                  John, it sounds as if I may not have been paying attention.....again! I
                  understood that Steve was receiving TBNS so it could be added to the Zine
                  Bank. If you are now looking after the Zine Bank, would you like me to add
                  you to the distribution list?

                  Cheers!

                  John

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                    I am still maintaining the Archive - though the amount of space they take up
                    is ridiculous. At least they are all sorted into folders in alphabetical
                    order now. I have contemplated scanning them and only keeping digital
                    copies, but the task is so large, where would I start?

                    If necessary, I will sub to any zine to save copies for posterity.

                    Is WIMM? still going by the way.

                    Stephen

                    yahoo.com] On Behalf Of John and Denny Colledge
                    Sent: 31 October 2004 09:12
                    To: ukpbm@yahoogroups.com

                    John, it sounds as if I may not have been paying attention.....again! I
                    understood that Steve was receiving TBNS so it could be added to the Zine
                    Bank. If you are now looking after the Zine Bank, would you like me to add
                    you to the distribution list?

                    Cheers!

                    John

                    On 30/10/04 4:42 pm, "John Harrington" <fiendish@...> wrote:

                    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:36:44 +0100, Bruce Edwards <kactusjak@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hmm - Keith upset someone did he?
                    >> Surely you can't forget FWTDR?
                    >

                    > I didn't forget it; I just don't receive it. All of the ones I listed I
                    > ostensibly trade with or they provide me with copies for the Zine Bank.
                    >

                    > John

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                      On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:11:48 +0000, John and Denny Colledge
                      <dunorroch@...> wrote:

                      > John, it sounds as if I may not have been paying attention.....again! I
                      > understood that Steve was receiving TBNS so it could be added to the Zine
                      > Bank. If you are now looking after the Zine Bank, would you like me to
                      > add
                      > you to the distribution list?

                      Steve needs copies of every zine for the Zine Archive, or some such. I
                      need the odd zine for the Zine Bank so that when someone writes asking for
                      info (had one this month, but the first in about 3 or 4 months) I can send
                      a decent selection. So, you don't need to send me every issue but a few
                      samples a year would be fine. Of course, if it is purely an e-mail zine
                      then you might as well send me a copy!

                      _________________
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                        WIMM? Is still going strong. David Oya is the "host" and the two subzines "TINAS" (Allan
                        Stagg) and "Calafia's Island" (Conrad von Metzke) provide the games. Conrad was running
                        down his subzine (and TINAS has a big waiting list full of games that just need one or two
                        more players), so things were looking a bit down, but Conrad has decided to take early
                        retirement which means he has plenty of time to run some more RR games - hooray!

                        I have to agree with Howard that there are quite a few zines still doing very well.
                        Hopscotch has passed 200 issues and is still a great zine (though I've never liked the
                        "gatefold" presentation). Variable Pig (Jim Reader's zine which contains my subzine "The
                        Universe is a Pink Blancmange called Simon") is on a roll at the moment - issue 94 has
                        just been sent out which makes 3 issues in 5 months - woo-hoo! It's also gaining subbers
                        and there are lots of new games including my own 45-player Usurppesque "Survival".

                        I do only get 5 zines at the moment, which is probably about average (?) and does suggest
                        the voting method should be changed. The others are Jack Duckworth's Alternate Universe (5
                        million for Kezman? I must be mad - at least I didn't buy Mutu) and Howard's Titty, which
                        alas is struggling. Howard's invented / adapted a whole heap of games but is suffering
                        from free time problems so many of them may never see the light of day. Shame!

                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                          I haven't seen WIMM for about a year.

                          Does anyone have old issues they can send for the archive - and what's
                          David's address so I can send him a sub?

                          Regards

                          Stephen

                          > I am still maintaining the Archive - though the amount of space they take
                          up
                          > is ridiculous. At least they are all sorted into folders in alphabetical
                          > order now. I have contemplated scanning them and only keeping digital
                          > copies, but the task is so large, where would I start?
                          >
                          > If necessary, I will sub to any zine to save copies for posterity.
                          >
                          > Is WIMM? still going by the way.
                          >
                          > Stephen

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                            Stephen,

                            I can supply the back issues - I'll send you Dave's postal and email details in a private
                            mail.

                            Of course you and Dave have had a few little differences over the years, which I gently
                            parodied on an old SMEG cover...

                            http://www.sholing.force9.co.uk/beginning.jpg

                            > Does anyone have old issues they can send for the archive - and what's
                            > David's address so I can send him a sub?
                            >
                            > Regards
                            >

                            > Stephen

                          • Keith Thomasson
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 3, 2004
                              Last year's poll came up with 40 listed zines, and a lot of those
                              that have so far not been mentioned were United zines - none of which
                              I see, I should add. The UK zines I do see are:

                              Bleeder
                              Bloodstcok
                              Cut & Thrust (published more than four issues this year, so still
                              eligible!)
                              Devolution (e-mail)
                              Greatest Hits
                              Hopscotch
                              ...mais n'est-ce pas la gare?
                              Minstrel
                              Ode
                              Ratadan/Pigbutton - but I believe this has ceased
                              Save All Your xxs For Me (new since the last poll, and up to issue 7
                              or 8)
                              The Tangerine Terror
                              Variable Pig

                              Oh yes, I also see For Whom The Die Rolls from time to time.

                              John Harrington clarified last year that e-mail zines that are
                              basically regular zines distributed by e-mail rather than post count
                              towards the zine poll, whereas web sites with content that is updated
                              on an as-required basis belong to the web site poll.

                              If I remember the history of the poll, whatever the scoring system
                              was, some people didn't like it, and it will always be so, however
                              long the poll continues. A variety of scoring systems have been
                              tried over the years. Whatever system is being used, it gives an
                              indication of how people perceive what they do receive, and a
                              shrinking hobby doesn't make those results less relevant when
                              comparing the results, there's just less of them.

                              If the average number of zines seen is around five as someone
                              suggested, then the average vote for first place under the current
                              system will be reflected by that.

                              As far as I'm concerned, if someone is willing to run the poll, why
                              should there be any reason to stop running it? It's when people can't
                              be bothered to vote that it becomes pointless.

                              Keith
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 2, 2005
                                Mainly for my own amusement I have started putting up PDFs of some very old
                                zines indeed on a new web site.

                                http://www.postaldiplomacy.org.uk

                                If there are any particular old zines you would like to see let me know.

                                I would like to put a page up there with links to those zines which still
                                exist - postal addresses etc. Any editor have their current trade list to
                                hand so I can do a cut and paste.

                                Regards

                                Stephen