RE: [ukpbm] Digest Number 482

  • Mike Dean
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 20, 2004
      Honestly, I don't particularly CARE about how the polls turns out..

      ... but, the scoring mechanism is bollocks!

      Sorry - but sometimes the truth is painfull and needs to be said...

      ... but PLEASE somebody come up with a scoring mechanism that might vaguely
      mean something!

      If I vote for 1, then my top score is 2 points? Yet if I vote for 7 it's 10?
      And how do you police my votes? I know 7 zines, so I could quite easily vote
      for my favourite to make sure it gets 10 and vote for any no-hopers I can
      think of to make up the rest.

      Bah!

      Please somebody come up with something sensible. This is a farce!

      cheers

      MIKE

      PS I'm pissed as I write this - so will probably regret being so outspoken
      tomorrow! :o)

      From: ukpbm
      2. New file uploaded to ukpbm
      From: ukpbm

      Message: 1
      Date: 20 Oct 2004 08:05:56 -0000
      From: ukpbm
      Subject: New file uploaded to ukpbm

      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the ukpbm
      group.

      File : /Zinepoll04.pdf
      Uploaded by : fiendishgames <fiendish@...>
      Description : Zine Poll 2004 voting form (PDF)

      You can access this file at the URL:

      Regards,

      fiendishgames <fiendish@...>

      Message: 2
      Date: 20 Oct 2004 08:07:16 -0000
      From: ukpbm

      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the ukpbm
      group.

      File : /Zinepoll04.rtf
      Uploaded by : fiendishgames <fiendish@...>
      Description : Zine Poll voting form 2004 (RTF)

      You can access this file at the URL:

      Regards,

      fiendishgames <fiendish@...>

    • Bruce Edwards
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 21, 2004
        Poor Mike! ;)

        But I do see where he's coming from.
        The number of zines is reducing as more people either turn to e-mails or web-sites.
        I think I'll be very hard pushed to find 10 zines this year as Cut & Thrust has passed away, and it is rapidly becoming a popularity contest depending on the number of people receiving a zine...
        Then it also depends on the readers bothering to vote anyway... and if they only see one zine (or visit one web-site) then - as Mike points out - then the score is 2 points.
        Thus, Mike (for example) needs 2 people to vote for him if 1 person votes for my site (no, I don't have one, but just for the example) and another one - in fact, 1 person voting for my site means his second choice ties with Mike, who was a first choice site!

        Maybe it's time the annual polls were bought to an end??

        Bruce

        From: ukpbm
        2. New file uploaded to ukpbm
        From: ukpbm

        Message: 1

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 25, 2004
          On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:53:36 +0100, Mike Dean <mike.dean@...>
          wrote:

          > Honestly, I don't particularly CARE about how the polls turns out..
          >
          > ... but, the scoring mechanism is bollocks!
          >
          > Sorry - but sometimes the truth is painfull and needs to be said...
          >
          > ... but PLEASE somebody come up with a scoring mechanism that might
          > vaguely
          > mean something!
          >
          > If I vote for 1, then my top score is 2 points? Yet if I vote for 7 it's
          > 10?

          This reminds me of a statement by a friend of mine. "I don't read many
          books but this one is really good."

          > And how do you police my votes? I know 7 zines, so I could quite easily
          > vote
          > for my favourite to make sure it gets 10 and vote for any no-hopers I can
          > think of to make up the rest.

          True, the system is open to abuse. For what it is worth, all votes are
          logged and anyone who feels they might be a victim of some sort of a scam
          is welcome to ask who included the zine in their vote, but not what vote
          they lodged. Then again, people can always claim that although they don't
          subscribe to a zine they do it see it often enough at cons or wherever to
          pass a reasonable judgement, so there is always a get-out clause.

          > PS I'm pissed as I write this - so will probably regret being so
          > outspoken
          > tomorrow! :o)

          It was a fair comment. If anyone can think of a better system, let me
          know. The number of zines is down to such a low level now that we could
          probably use some sort of single transferable vote system!

          _________________
          Fiendish Board Games - makers of Breaking Away, Office Politics and
          Traffic Lights.
          www.fbgames.co.uk - we accept PayPal
        • Mike Dean
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 28, 2004

            And the silence was deafening.... does anybody really care anymore?
            Perhaps I'm just the first one to actually say so.

            As far as voting mechanisms are concerned - why not just allow
            people to vote for their favourite, and their second favourite - 3
            points to the 1st and 1 point to the 2nd. Ratings any others after
            that seems pointless.
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 28, 2004
              How just mark all the zines you see out of ten and then add the scores
              together?

              Given there is so few zines left, that would do just fine.

              BTW - how many zines are left? Anyone care to post what zines they see and
              see if we can put a definitive list together?

              Err....

              Ode
              Obsidian
              TCP
              Tangerine Terror

              My mind's gone blank...

              Stephen

              And the silence was deafening.... does anybody really care anymore?
              Perhaps I'm just the first one to actually say so.

              As far as voting mechanisms are concerned - why not just allow
              people to vote for their favourite, and their second favourite - 3
              points to the 1st and 1 point to the 2nd. Ratings any others after
              that seems pointless.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • fiendish@blueyonder.co.uk
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 29, 2004
                Bloodstock
                GH
                Hopscotch
                Tangerine Terror
                Variable Pig
                TAP
                Thing
                Obsidian
                Sprouts (ostensibly)
                To Win Just Once

                And the silence was deafening.... does anybody really care anymore?
                Perhaps I'm just the first one to actually say so.

                As far as voting mechanisms are concerned - why not just allow
                people to vote for their favourite, and their second favourite - 3
                points to the 1st and 1 point to the 2nd. Ratings any others after
                that seems pointless.

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129hiotne/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=1705057088:HM/EXP=1099069328/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12itn1285/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1098982928278860> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129hiotne/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=1705057088:HM/EXP=1099069328/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12itn1285/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1098982928278860>

                Get unlimited calls to

                U.S./Canada

                <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1098982928278860>
                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2343726/rand=857177838>

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Bruce Edwards
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 29, 2004
                  Hmm - Keith upset someone did he?
                  Surely you can't forget FWTDR?

                  Others I get:
                  Bloodstock
                  Ode
                  Obsidian
                  Tangerine Terror
                  Variable Pig
                  TAP

                  B.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 30, 2004
                    Eeem! You could add TBNS to that list, or does it not count if it's sent by
                    e-mail? Or should I get upset because you receive it but don't actually open
                    it, therefore technically you are not "seeing" it? :-)

                    TBNS appeared on the list last year so I guess it should be included.

                    Cheers!

                    John

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 30, 2004
                      On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:36:44 +0100, Bruce Edwards <kactusjak@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Hmm - Keith upset someone did he?
                      > Surely you can't forget FWTDR?

                      I didn't forget it; I just don't receive it. All of the ones I listed I
                      ostensibly trade with or they provide me with copies for the Zine Bank.

                      _________________
                      Fiendish Board Games - makers of Breaking Away, Office Politics and
                      Traffic Lights.
                      www.fbgames.co.uk - we accept PayPal
                    • John and Denny Colledge
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                        John, it sounds as if I may not have been paying attention.....again! I
                        understood that Steve was receiving TBNS so it could be added to the Zine
                        Bank. If you are now looking after the Zine Bank, would you like me to add
                        you to the distribution list?

                        Cheers!

                        John

                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                          I am still maintaining the Archive - though the amount of space they take up
                          is ridiculous. At least they are all sorted into folders in alphabetical
                          order now. I have contemplated scanning them and only keeping digital
                          copies, but the task is so large, where would I start?

                          If necessary, I will sub to any zine to save copies for posterity.

                          Is WIMM? still going by the way.

                          Stephen

                          yahoo.com] On Behalf Of John and Denny Colledge
                          Sent: 31 October 2004 09:12
                          To: ukpbm@yahoogroups.com

                          John, it sounds as if I may not have been paying attention.....again! I
                          understood that Steve was receiving TBNS so it could be added to the Zine
                          Bank. If you are now looking after the Zine Bank, would you like me to add
                          you to the distribution list?

                          Cheers!

                          John

                          On 30/10/04 4:42 pm, "John Harrington" <fiendish@...> wrote:

                          > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:36:44 +0100, Bruce Edwards <kactusjak@...>
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          >> Hmm - Keith upset someone did he?
                          >> Surely you can't forget FWTDR?
                          >

                          > I didn't forget it; I just don't receive it. All of the ones I listed I
                          > ostensibly trade with or they provide me with copies for the Zine Bank.
                          >

                          > John

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                            On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:11:48 +0000, John and Denny Colledge
                            <dunorroch@...> wrote:

                            > John, it sounds as if I may not have been paying attention.....again! I
                            > understood that Steve was receiving TBNS so it could be added to the Zine
                            > Bank. If you are now looking after the Zine Bank, would you like me to
                            > add
                            > you to the distribution list?

                            Steve needs copies of every zine for the Zine Archive, or some such. I
                            need the odd zine for the Zine Bank so that when someone writes asking for
                            info (had one this month, but the first in about 3 or 4 months) I can send
                            a decent selection. So, you don't need to send me every issue but a few
                            samples a year would be fine. Of course, if it is purely an e-mail zine
                            then you might as well send me a copy!

                            _________________
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                              WIMM? Is still going strong. David Oya is the "host" and the two subzines "TINAS" (Allan
                              Stagg) and "Calafia's Island" (Conrad von Metzke) provide the games. Conrad was running
                              down his subzine (and TINAS has a big waiting list full of games that just need one or two
                              more players), so things were looking a bit down, but Conrad has decided to take early
                              retirement which means he has plenty of time to run some more RR games - hooray!

                              I have to agree with Howard that there are quite a few zines still doing very well.
                              Hopscotch has passed 200 issues and is still a great zine (though I've never liked the
                              "gatefold" presentation). Variable Pig (Jim Reader's zine which contains my subzine "The
                              Universe is a Pink Blancmange called Simon") is on a roll at the moment - issue 94 has
                              just been sent out which makes 3 issues in 5 months - woo-hoo! It's also gaining subbers
                              and there are lots of new games including my own 45-player Usurppesque "Survival".

                              I do only get 5 zines at the moment, which is probably about average (?) and does suggest
                              the voting method should be changed. The others are Jack Duckworth's Alternate Universe (5
                              million for Kezman? I must be mad - at least I didn't buy Mutu) and Howard's Titty, which
                              alas is struggling. Howard's invented / adapted a whole heap of games but is suffering
                              from free time problems so many of them may never see the light of day. Shame!

                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                                I haven't seen WIMM for about a year.

                                Does anyone have old issues they can send for the archive - and what's
                                David's address so I can send him a sub?

                                Regards

                                Stephen

                                > I am still maintaining the Archive - though the amount of space they take
                                up
                                > is ridiculous. At least they are all sorted into folders in alphabetical
                                > order now. I have contemplated scanning them and only keeping digital
                                > copies, but the task is so large, where would I start?
                                >
                                > If necessary, I will sub to any zine to save copies for posterity.
                                >
                                > Is WIMM? still going by the way.
                                >
                                > Stephen

                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                                  Stephen,

                                  I can supply the back issues - I'll send you Dave's postal and email details in a private
                                  mail.

                                  Of course you and Dave have had a few little differences over the years, which I gently
                                  parodied on an old SMEG cover...

                                  http://www.sholing.force9.co.uk/beginning.jpg

                                  > Does anyone have old issues they can send for the archive - and what's
                                  > David's address so I can send him a sub?
                                  >
                                  > Regards
                                  >

                                  > Stephen

                                • Keith Thomasson
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 3, 2004
                                    Last year's poll came up with 40 listed zines, and a lot of those
                                    that have so far not been mentioned were United zines - none of which
                                    I see, I should add. The UK zines I do see are:

                                    Bleeder
                                    Bloodstcok
                                    Cut & Thrust (published more than four issues this year, so still
                                    eligible!)
                                    Devolution (e-mail)
                                    Greatest Hits
                                    Hopscotch
                                    ...mais n'est-ce pas la gare?
                                    Minstrel
                                    Ode
                                    Ratadan/Pigbutton - but I believe this has ceased
                                    Save All Your xxs For Me (new since the last poll, and up to issue 7
                                    or 8)
                                    The Tangerine Terror
                                    Variable Pig

                                    Oh yes, I also see For Whom The Die Rolls from time to time.

                                    John Harrington clarified last year that e-mail zines that are
                                    basically regular zines distributed by e-mail rather than post count
                                    towards the zine poll, whereas web sites with content that is updated
                                    on an as-required basis belong to the web site poll.

                                    If I remember the history of the poll, whatever the scoring system
                                    was, some people didn't like it, and it will always be so, however
                                    long the poll continues. A variety of scoring systems have been
                                    tried over the years. Whatever system is being used, it gives an
                                    indication of how people perceive what they do receive, and a
                                    shrinking hobby doesn't make those results less relevant when
                                    comparing the results, there's just less of them.

                                    If the average number of zines seen is around five as someone
                                    suggested, then the average vote for first place under the current
                                    system will be reflected by that.

                                    As far as I'm concerned, if someone is willing to run the poll, why
                                    should there be any reason to stop running it? It's when people can't
                                    be bothered to vote that it becomes pointless.

                                    Keith
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 2, 2005
                                      Mainly for my own amusement I have started putting up PDFs of some very old
                                      zines indeed on a new web site.

                                      http://www.postaldiplomacy.org.uk

                                      If there are any particular old zines you would like to see let me know.

                                      I would like to put a page up there with links to those zines which still
                                      exist - postal addresses etc. Any editor have their current trade list to
                                      hand so I can do a cut and paste.

                                      Regards

                                      Stephen