Legalities of APBM rules

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2004
      Hi chaps,

      A long time since I've posted anything on here - heck it's a long time since *anyone* has apart from a couple of spammers, but here goes...

      I've been gradually increasing the Rules Bank section of my web site http://www.sholing.force9.co.uk and recently added some of Howard Bishop's excellent games from The Tangerine Terror. We had a bit of a discussion about the legality of posting play-by-mail conversions of commercial games on the internet, which left me more than a little unsure about what the official line is.

      I dare say this has been completely covered in issue 74 of "Ooh You Stabbed Me, You Bitch" or some other wondrous zine, but I would like to hear what people think.

      I dimly remember hearing somewhere that to legally play commercial games by post, at least one of the players or the GM should own a copy of the game so I added this as a disclaimer. I also ensured that the copyright owner of the rules was always credited. I do suspect however that it is still illegal without the express permission of the copyright owner. Is this the case? If so, do the games companies give a monkey's about APBMers?

    • Howard Bishop
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 21, 2004
        If anyone knows someone at one of the bigger games companies, it might be
        worth a tentative "off the record" question. Alan Parr obviously knows the
        guys at Gibsons pretty well due to his Fireside Football connection. Anyone
        else?

        http://www.sholing.force9.co.uk <http://www.sholing.force9.co.uk> and
[...]

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129gioqg9/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705057088:HM/EXP=1089155185/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp