Zine Poll Result

  • fiendishgames
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2004
      It's probably not a wise idea to type up the Zine Poll results whilst
      suffering from sleep deprivation,. I have put a comprehensive, but
      not quite complete, listing of this year's results on

      http://www.fbgames.co.uk/words/zinepoll03.htm

      but mucked up the numbering of the rankings, having a bit of a
      Groundhog Day moment with places 4 & 5. The full rankings are:

      1) For Whom The Die Rolls
      2) Ode
      3) Hopscotch
      4) The Cunning Plan
      5) Sprouts of Wrath
      6) Bloodstock
      7) Cut & Thrust
      8) Variable Pig
      9) The Tangerine Terror
      10)Obsidian
      11)Greatest Hits
      12)The Blue Nose Special
      13)Where Is My Mind? (where is my proof-reader? - Ed)
      14)A League Of Our Own
      15)The Premier League
      16)Ref!
      17)Devolution
      18)... mais n'est ce pas la gare?
      19)To Win Just Once
      20)Minstrel
      21)Striker
      22)Astradyne/Serendipity (The Armistice Day Newsletter did not have
      enough issues in 2003 to be eligible)
      24)Jumpers for Goalposts
      25)Ninety Minutes
      26)Oddball (highest new entry)
      27)Pigbutton (Ratadan)/Track Events

      I'll correct the web site cock-up in the next day or two, at which
      point I will also add more details for those zines that scored fewer
      than 10 points.

      Many thanks to all who voted (numbers down again this year) and all
      the editors who publicised the poll.

      Congratulations to Keith Thomasson on his return to the top of the
      (greasy) poll. It was quite a close run thing with Ode right up to
      the point where Ode's editor put in his vote (remember, editors
      couldn't vote for their own zines this time) in late December.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 23, 2005
        My apologies once again for the tardiness of the announcement of these
        results.

        The winner of the 2004 Zine Poll is For Whom The Die Rolls.
        Conratulations to Keith on his retention of the title. The number of
        voters was a disappointingly low 27, which is less than half the
        number we had last year. I realise my publicity campaign was a bit
        lacklustre this year, particularly at MidCon where I normally manage
        to rustle up 20 or so votes (this year: none!), but even so, I think
        50 is a bare minimum turn-out to keep the poll viable. Discuss.

        Full details of the results are on http://fbgames.co
        uk/words/zinepoll04.htm

        John Harrington
      • Howard Bishop
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 24, 2005
          I can't help thinking that the low number of votes was a self-fulfilling
          prophesy. There were so many doom and gloom emails preceding it that many
          people will have just failed to turn out. I don't think the number of people
          who could have voted has halved since last time; I didn't help matters by
          failing to include a voting form with the 'zine and I didn't actually vote
          for the first time.

          In terms of the outcome, The Tangerine Terror has moved up a couple of
          (completely unjustified) places in the rankings which shows that the small
          number of votes is distorting the results. My estimation is that TTT
          shouldn't (by any measure you can think of) be in the top 10 (a
          Housemartinsesque Fourth Best Zine In High Wycombe).

          For what it's worth, I think that we should keep it going while there are
          still people who are willing to register a vote (almost regardless of how
          small that number is). I would hope to make a better showing in terms of
          promotion in TTT next time around.

          Thanks to John for collating the results and publishing the scores.

          This message contains privileged and confidential information intended only
          for the use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended
          recipient of this message, or the employee or agent responsible for
          delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
          dissemination or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
          have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by
          return electronic mail and delete the original message without retaining a
          copy.

        • Bruce Edwards
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 24, 2005
            Imho - the votes will, eventually, drop to a level where the zine with the most subscribers will win every time!
            Thus, zine 'A' who has a circulation of 30/40 people should gather more votes than zine 'B' with 15/20 subbers - even if you assume
            not all the players vote.

            Also, if 10 subbers of zine 'B' also play in zine 'A', then numbers drop again.
            Having said that, I think zine editors are realistic enough to realise that winning the poll these days is not the achievement it once was, although the quality and content of all the zines remains at a remarkably high standard, and there are very few drop-outs from games too - something that cannot always be said of 'professional' game sites!!

            Most editors sent out forms, but, like deadlines, I expect many missed their chance to vote by waiting until the last minute then forgetting! (Hangs head shamefully)

            However, if players do vote, and someone (ie John) is willing to act as teller, then why should the poll not continue?
            The only question I would have is whether the scoring system should be reconsidered, given the small number of voters?? Although, that leads back to my original point... the zine with the biggest circulation should (in theory) get the most votes however you score it!!

            I think congratulations are due to ALL the hard-working zine editors for all the fun they continue to provide for all of us!!

            B.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 26, 2005
              --- In ukpbm@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Edwards" <kactusjak@n...> wrote:
              > Imho - the votes will, eventually, drop to a level where the zine
              with the most subscribers will win every time!
              > Thus, zine 'A' who has a circulation of 30/40 people should gather
              more votes than zine 'B' with 15/20 subbers - even if you assume
              > not all the players vote.

              __________
              I've not got any problem with an inherent bias to zines with big
              circulations. Punters voting with their subs is probably more
              significant than voting in a poll.
              voted in the Zine Poll and send them reminders; I did that for the
              2003 poll and rustled up an extra 8 or 9 votes that way.
              __________
              > However, if players do vote, and someone (ie John) is willing to
              act as teller, then why should the poll not continue?
              > The only question I would have is whether the scoring system
              should be reconsidered, given the small number of voters?? Although,
              that leads back to my original point... the zine with the biggest
              circulation should (in theory) get the most votes however you score
              it!!

              If I do run the poll again this year then I will change the voting
              system. There can hardly be anyone - even editors - who sees 10
              zines these days! Something like a top 3 should suffice, though we
              might need to retain some sort of weighted matrix (i.e. variable
              pts. scored per position depending on how many zines a voter votes
              for) to ward off the prospect of ties.