Thinking of running a convention or organising a hobby holiday

  • fiendishgames
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2003
      Somewhat to my surprise a very close friend of mine recently changed
      careers and is now managing/baby-sitting/touting a refurbished
      Victorian country house not too far from Norwich.

      Fascinated though I was with his tales of the difficulties of getting
      left-twisted grommitts to fit into converted Victorian wangleholes (I
      may have got some of the detail wrong there) it was only when he
      mentioned the place has holiday homes and a large conference room
      that I became truly interested; could this place, perchance, be a
      suitable venue for a games convention or a revival of the ancient
      tradition of hobby holidays?

      The short answer is "Yes". Though it probably could not cope with a
      con the size of ManorCon it should be able to handle 50 to 70 people
      reasonably well. I expect the place will be dominated by holiday-
      makers in the summer months but during early Spring, late autumn or
      winter it should be clear for total domination by obsessive gamers.

      Anyway, before I sound like I am on a percentage here I think the
      best thing to do is to give you the URL, which is www.bylaugh.com,
      and contact details (John Amas, john@...) and urge you to get
      in touch with him if you are interested in organising a con or taking
      a holiday there. I've warned ... er ... apprised him of the sort of
      people who attend cons and their typical requirements so I apologise
      in advance that there does not seem to be an Indian restaurant within
      walking distance of the place, but John is a real-ale fan so he is
      likely to be very sympathetic to the rest of our needs.

      I've suggested to John that he knocks up a flyer aimed at the gaming
      hobby which I'll distribute to zine editors and he will do this
      tomorrow. If there are any editors reading this who would prefer me
      to photocopy lots of flyers for them, let me know, otherwise I'll
      send each editor a single sheet which they can either photocopy
      themselves or include within their zine.

      It's doubtful many of you remember that the original ManorCon was
      held in a manor, and very nice it was too; Bylaugh Hall is about as
      close as we are likely to get to it these days so here's hoping
      someone takes up the challenge of filling up that long gap in the
      calendar between ManorCon and MidCon (though StabCon is in there
      somewhere, isn't it?)

      Cheers,