First issue of Mission From God?

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2003
      My guess is that Mr. Agar would be best placed to answer this query.
      Someone has contacted me wanting to know when the first Mission From God
      was published. Whilst they are at it they wouldn't mind knowing when the
      first 20 Years On was published too.

      Does anyone on this list know the answer to this?

      Fiendish Board Games - makers of games in the German style.
      Breaking Away, Office Politics and Traffic Lights.
      http://www.fbgames.co.uk
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2003
        In message <oprmuesddm424m6w@localhost>, John Harrington
        <johnh@...> writes
        >My guess is that Mr. Agar would be best placed to answer this query.
        >Someone has contacted me wanting to know when the first Mission From God
        >was published. Whilst they are at it they wouldn't mind knowing when the
        >first 20 Years On was published too.
        >
        >Does anyone on this list know the answer to this?
        >

        >John

        I'll dig them out tomorrow and let you know. And we shouldn't forget 25
        Years On as well. In fact - I can think of about 15+ different hobby
        service zines. Maybe I'll look them all up for the hell of it.

        --
        Stephen Agar
      • Ben & Linley Goodale
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30, 2003
          Didn't Iain Bowen start MFG ? Or, hmmm, let me think about it, Mark Nelson
          ?

          In which case it might have been 1987.

          Alex Bardy might know. I should. But it's been a long time. I can ask
          Mark if necessary.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 25, 2003
            In message <oprmuesddm424m6w@localhost>, John Harrington
            <johnh@...> writes
            >My guess is that Mr. Agar would be best placed to answer this query.
            >Someone has contacted me wanting to know when the first Mission From God
            >was published. Whilst they are at it they wouldn't mind knowing when the
            >first 20 Years On was published too.
            >
            >Does anyone on this list know the answer to this?
            >

            >John

            A Short History of Mission from God

            The first issue of Mission from God was put together by frequent
            attendees at the Birmingham Hobbymeet - namely, Peter Tulk, Iain Bowen,
            and Pete Doubleday (the title stemming from a Blues Brother reference).
            The first issue edited by Pete appeared in November 1986 and carried
            reviews of 55 different UK zines. The reviews were very partial - being
            the strong opinions of the aforementioned plus a couple of pages from
            William Whyte and thus was a clear break with the earlier tradition of
            fairly bland hobby listing zines. The first issue was numbered "Genesis"
            which was the forerunner of immense confusion as to zine numbering. The
            second issue was predictably called "Exodus" and came out in Feburary
            1987, this issue being edited by Iain - and the pattern was set. The
            editorial board changed occasionally (Pete Tulk left after issue 3,
            William Whyte and Andy Bate joined at issue 4 and Nick Kinzett joined at
            issue 5). This formula continued for sometime - the bulk of the hard
            work being done by Iain Bowen. Iain managed to edit the zine for quite a
            while - up to issue 12 (which was not called "2 Kings" but "the
            Apocalypse of St. John the Divine"). 12 issues in 4 years is quite an
            achievement for a listing zine. Iain passed the editorship over to And
            Key and Madi Smith.

            Issue 13 which appeared in the Autumn of 1991 was called "Matthew", Andy
            and Madi having decided to mark a change in editor with a move to the
            New Testament. The slightly tatty mimeo look was swapped for a
            photocopied DTP appearance. Andy and Madi only lasted for three issues,
            No.15 "Luke" (their last) appearing in Autumn 1992. The zine was in
            abeyance for quite a while, but eventually Pete Sullivan came to the
            rescue, throwing together a thin issue 16 ("John") in early 1994. Pete
            managed one more issue (no. 17 - "Acts of the Apostles") after MidCon in
            late 1994. A trawl around the hobby for someone willing to take on
            Mission from God resulted in Kim Head taking over - though she only
            produced a single issue in July 1995. Confusingly she called her issue
            "No.16" although it was in fact the eighteenth issue!

            Another gap ensued until John Harrington stepped in to rescue MfG. His
            "issue 17" (which was really issue 19) appeared in January 1997 and John
            has kept the faith ever since (although his numbering has remained
            consistently two issues out). John managed two issues in 1997 and one
            every year since. Thus the latest issue was "issue 24" (though really
            issue 26) and published in January 2003.

            *********************

            John - I don't seem to have a copy of your "issue 23" - can you find a
            spare?

            Stephen Agar
          • Ben & Linley Goodale
            Message 5 of 6 , May 25, 2003
              Well done Stephen. So it was Pete Tulk eh, I still have fond memories of TROG and his Grand Prix game.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 28, 2003
                Steve,

                Well done for digging this info up. Coincidentally, Mark Billenness
                (former editor of 20 Years On) has just joined this group.

                I had a bit of a lash-up with my own numbering system, I think, and may
                have used the same issue number twice or jumped an issue. I'll look
                through my records and see if I can find the masters of the issue you are
                missing.