RE: [ukpbm] Bob Kendrick Shield

  • Shaun Derrick
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 14, 2003
      Tom,

      Thanks for doing that.

      The award is specifically for the best 'British' player. If there is to be an International award, it should be something different.
      There is a preference in the UK hobby knowing the person who wins the award, and a good chance that they can actually collect the trophy too. It's all very well winning an award, but not having it sitting on your mantlepiece or whatever, seems a bit hollow.

      I would prefer to stick to the parameters that I set when the award was first launched, but if someone else was to take over the responsibility in future, they will be at liberty to do what they think is best.

      Regards,

      Shaun

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 12, 2003
        Although it is a bit late, I would like to advise everyone that the winner of the Bob Kendrick Shield was...

        MARK WIGHTMAN

        Thanks

        Shaun

        >The Bob Kendrick Shield is, as some of you know, the award for the
        >Diplomacy player of the Year. Anyone can vote for their favourite(?)
        >players as follows...
        >
        >Any UK based player whom plays by post, email or at conventions is
        >eligible. They must be active players and have played at least one
        >game during 2002. If you wish to vote please send me your top 3
        >players in descending order. The player who receives the most '1st's'
        >will win the award.

        Hi Shaun,

        I've put this up on dip2000 just in case Mark Stretch doesn't pick this
        up on his news page for the site.

        As I said on the front page... I think it's unfair limiting awards like
        this to only UK players. With email gaming taking off in a big way our
        hobby is becoming so international.

        Okay so if there is an actual SHIELD to be awarded, I can understand
        you/them not wanting it to leave the country. But someone over here
        could receive it/hold on to it on behalf of the overseas player, surely.

        Just a thought.

        http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk/dip2000/

        Rent DVDs Online-No late fees! Try Netflix for FREE!
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/XfSp7B/XlOFAA/46VHAA/AtRolB/TM

      • shaunderrickuk
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 10, 2003
          We are at that time of the year again when I am requesting votes for
          the Bob Kendrick Shield.

          The BKS is to honour the best UK Diplomacy player of 2003.

          Please send me your top three players in descending order.

          Only UK based players count.

          The player with the most 'tops', 'firsts', whatever you wish to call
          them, will be awarded the shield at MasterCon - if it taking place -
          or some other appropriate convention/meeting.

          The current holder is Mark Wightman

          Players can be Email / FTF / Postal players.

          Deadline for votes is 31 January 2004

          Shaun Derrick
        • Mark Wightman
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 10, 2003
            HI Shaun,

            Just to give you a heads up, but I haven't got the shield. Chetan still has
            it. He said he'd bring it round, but so far hasn't.

            Cheers

            Mark

            > We are at that time of the year again when I am requesting votes for
            > the Bob Kendrick Shield.
            >
            > The BKS is to honour the best UK Diplomacy player of 2003.
            >
            > Please send me your top three players in descending order.
            >
            > Only UK based players count.
            >
            > The player with the most 'tops', 'firsts', whatever you wish to call
            > them, will be awarded the shield at MasterCon - if it taking place -
            > or some other appropriate convention/meeting.
            >
            > The current holder is Mark Wightman
            >
            > Players can be Email / FTF / Postal players.
            >
            > Deadline for votes is 31 January 2004
            >
            > Shaun Derrick

          • Shaun Derrick
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 23, 2004
              A poor response with only 8 replies!

              Winner, and the only player with 2 'Firsts' was John Stratford.

              Presentation will be made at ManorCon as John will not be at
              MasterCon.

              Mark, do you have the Shield from Chetan, yet?

              Shaun