Zine Poll and Les Pimley Award

  • fiendishgames <johnh@fiendishgames.demon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
      The deadline for voting in the Zine Poll was 2 days ago and - shock! horror! - I still have not announced the winner. I know who has won but I am just checking to make sure I have not missed any votes before publishing the results.

      I think it is fairly safe to say, however, that Richard Sharp has won the 2002 Les Pimley Award for services to the hobby. He polled in excess of 60% of the votes despite some strong competition.

      As for the results of the Zine Poll and the Web Site Poll, I hope to have these published by the close of the week-end, if not before.

      I'll also be publishing a revised edition of Mission From God very soon and this will contain the Zine Poll results too.

      Many thanks to all those who voted in the polls. I'll be happy to run the polls next year but I might make a few changes.

      I am inclined, for instance, to prevent editors from voting for their own zines. Virtually every editor who voted put his own zine top but some said they were doing so because they expected others would do likewise. I therefore think it would be a good idea to prevent editors from having to wrestle with their conscience on this matter.

      The only drawback I can see to this rule (apart from the fact that allowing editors to vote for themselves encourages them to vote - something not every editor did) is that one then has to determine whether to extend the prohibition to subzine editors. On the grounds that it is much harder for me to identify who is a subzine editor and who is not, I will probably allow subzine editors and external GMs to vote for the zines to which they contribute.

      The web site poll did not get a lot of votes. I obviously could have done more to promote it among the online community but there was also confusion over what constitutes a web site. The likes of The Blue Nose Special and Serendipity got votes in both categories, for instance. I think next year I shall specify that zines which are distributed predominantly by e-mail (e.g. Devolution, Armistice Day, A League Of Our Own, Serendipity and The Blue Nose Special) count as zines, even if they are purely electronic rather than paper-based.

      The Pimley Award did not attract as many votes as I had hoped either. Judging by the Zine Poll forms I received, most of which were of the early generation before the Pimley candidates were announced, the Award could do with a bit more publicity over a longer period of time. One way of achieving this might be to seek nominations for the award at ManorCon (and also by post or e-mail) so that when the Zine Poll forms are sent out in November the identities of the candidates are known.

      That's enough waffling for now, I must get home and complete the Zine Poll counting - I think my zine lost its deposit!

    • Bruce Edwards
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
        Congrats to Richard Sharp on winning the 2002 Les Pimley award.

        However, I will say that the Pimley nominations were very poorly advertised, and I only saw the list on this group and in 1 zine, I think.

        Do the zine editors still want to continue with the Poll?? (just asking.. no offense meant)
        I realise they work very hard to provide zines for all us players, and get very little reward, but given the apparent dwindling readership figures and zines....

        Regarding the voting by sub-editors, I feel you are going to run into a few problems there.
        For example, FWTDR has no sub-zines at all, whereas Flights of Fancy has two, as does Obsidian. Bloodstock has three sub-zines, or contributing GMs, and so does The Tangerine Terror.
        I would be more inclined to allow editors to vote for themselves, but they only score half points for their own zine... just an idea??

        Finally, I would like to thank you, John, for running the Polls.

        All the best for 2003.

        B.

        psychopath website (for games) - http://www.psychozine.co.uk

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
          I think I relied a bit too much on the postal gaming network to publicise the Pimley Award and left it too late in the year
          as well. The network is not what it was and the zines don't publish as frequently as they used to, hence my suggestion
          that the nominations really ought to be known at the same time as the Zine Poll votes go out.

          >Regarding the voting by sub-editors, I feel you are going to run into a few problems there.
          >For example, FWTDR has no sub-zines at all, whereas Flights of Fancy has two, as does Obsidian. Bloodstock has
          three sub-zines, or contributing GMs, and so does The Tangerine Terror.
          >I would be more inclined to allow editors to vote for themselves, but they only score half points for their own zine... just
          an idea??

          I take your point, but people generally volunteer to be external GMs or subzine editors in zines which they admire
          anyway, hence my rationalisation is that even if they weren't subzine editors they'd be putting the zine quite high in the
          rankings anyway.

          Back when I was editing a mainstream zine (Tale That You Fiend!) I think I used to typically rank it about 4th out of a
          dozen or so zines. I think it is natural for an editor to rate his or her own zine highly because they generally produce
          exactly the sort of zine they'd like to receive themselves; therefore I don't think it is any great crime to vote one's own
          zine top, but if it is causing editors a bit of heart-searching then I'd prefer to remove the option. Alternatively I could start
          with the assumption that every editor (even those who don't vote) votes his own zine top which would be an excellent
          way of massaging the figures and boosting the apparent size of the electorate.

          >Finally, I would like to thank you, John, for running the Polls.

          It was my pleasure. I like doing this sort of stuff. It was like the best bit of the Eurovision Song Contest (i.e. the voting).

          Fiendish Board Games - makers of games in the German style.
          Breaking Away, Office Politics and Traffic Lights.
          http://www.fbgames.co.uk
        • Howard Bishop
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2003
            Hi John,

            Thanks for doing the zine poll this year.

            My 2p worth is that zine editors shouldn't be able to vote for their own
            zine. I only did it because I found out that other people were doing it.

            How does 68 voters compare with previous years?

            Oh yeah and Happy New Year to one and all.

            I think I relied a bit too much on the postal gaming network to publicise
            the Pimley Award and left it too late in the year
            as well. The network is not what it was and the zines don't publish as
            frequently as they used to, hence my suggestion
            that the nominations really ought to be known at the same time as the Zine
            Poll votes go out.

            >Regarding the voting by sub-editors, I feel you are going to run into a few
            problems there.
            >For example, FWTDR has no sub-zines at all, whereas Flights of Fancy has
            two, as does Obsidian. Bloodstock has
            three sub-zines, or contributing GMs, and so does The Tangerine Terror.
            >I would be more inclined to allow editors to vote for themselves, but they
            only score half points for their own zine... just
            an idea??

            I take your point, but people generally volunteer to be external GMs or
            subzine editors in zines which they admire
            anyway, hence my rationalisation is that even if they weren't subzine
            editors they'd be putting the zine quite high in the
            rankings anyway.

            Back when I was editing a mainstream zine (Tale That You Fiend!) I think I
            used to typically rank it about 4th out of a
            dozen or so zines. I think it is natural for an editor to rate his or her
            own zine highly because they generally produce
            exactly the sort of zine they'd like to receive themselves; therefore I
            don't think it is any great crime to vote one's own
            zine top, but if it is causing editors a bit of heart-searching then I'd
            prefer to remove the option. Alternatively I could start
            with the assumption that every editor (even those who don't vote) votes his
            own zine top which would be an excellent
            way of massaging the figures and boosting the apparent size of the
            electorate.

            >Finally, I would like to thank you, John, for running the Polls.

            It was my pleasure. I like doing this sort of stuff. It was like the best
            bit of the Eurovision Song Contest (i.e. the voting).

            Fiendish Board Games - makers of games in the German style.
            Breaking Away, Office Politics and Traffic Lights.
            http://www.fbgames.co.uk <http://www.fbgames.co.uk>

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2814790.4175286.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=17050570
            88:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x?http://
            www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=234081.2814790.4175286.1925585/D=egroupmai
            l/S=:HM/A=1327985/rand=983226230>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 9, 2003
              08/01/03 07:36:23, Howard Bishop <hbishop@...> wrote:

              >Hi John,
              >
              >Thanks for doing the zine poll this year.
              >
              >My 2p worth is that zine editors shouldn't be able to vote for their own
              >zine. I only did it because I found out that other people were doing it.
              >
              >How does 68 voters compare with previous years?

              No idea guv. The info will probably be on Keith's site which, if I recall, is www.fwtwr.com.

              John

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 10, 2003
                In message <av20c0+lofg@...>, "fiendishgames
                <johnh@...>" <johnh@...>
                writes

                >I am inclined, for instance, to prevent editors from voting for their
                >own zines. Virtually every editor who voted put his own zine top but
                >some said they were doing so because they expected others would do
                >likewise. I therefore think it would be a good idea to prevent editors
                >from having to wrestle with their conscience on this matter.

                I completely agree. Most years I haven't bothered to vote just so I
                don't have to face up to that particular issue.

                >The only drawback I can see to this rule (apart from the fact that
                >allowing editors to vote for themselves encourages them to vote -
                >something not every editor did) is that one then has to determine
                >whether to extend the prohibition to subzine editors. On the grounds
                >that it is much harder for me to identify who is a subzine editor and
                >who is not, I will probably allow subzine editors and external GMs to
                >vote for the zines to which they contribute.
                >
                >The web site poll did not get a lot of votes. I obviously could have
                >done more to promote it among the online community but there was also
                >confusion over what constitutes a web site. The likes of The Blue Nose
                >Special and Serendipity got votes in both categories, for instance. I
                >think next year I shall specify that zines which are distributed
                >predominantly by e-mail (e.g. Devolution, Armistice Day, A League Of
                >Our Own, Serendipity and The Blue Nose Special) count as zines, even if
                >they are purely electronic rather than paper-based.

                Can I just point out that Armistice Day is not purely electronic -
                indeed, I post 100+ copies!!!

                Thanks for organising the poll this year. I would be inclined to close
                it down if it were me - or maybe announce in advance that next year will
                be the last one - and in conjunction run a 10 Best Zines of All Time
                poll! (On a one vote per voter basis - a bit like the BBC 100 Greatest
                Britons).

                Stephen Agar